Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > E-diff retrofit to MY12 4.4TDV8 L322
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville
E-diff retrofit to MY12 4.4TDV8 L322

I have just completed the retrofit of an e-diff to my L322.

Not wanting to pay the price of new parts and wanting to avoid converting my open diff into an e-diff by using the centre and side case from a more readily available 4.2 or 5.0 SC diff that use different ratios, I eventually found an e-diff from a wreck whose landed price was acceptable. A control unit from a wrecked D4 was also purchased, being the same hardware and software version as the L322 RDCU.

The RDCU connector shells were obtained as new LR spare parts and pins sourced from a UK based connector supplier at minimal cost. Wiring to the RDCU from the rear fuse panel and nearby ignition and canbus connections was easily installed and a new replacement combination epb/fbh pump/ediff wiring harness obtained. Missing pins from the other side of the common epb/fbh pump/ediff connector for wiring to the RDCU are identical to the pins in one of my current Llams connectors (the same connector) so were on hand. The CCF was altered to reflect the existence of the e-diff and after replacing the diff the RDCU was recalibrated for this e-diff using an IIDTool.

Post #429481 27th Feb 2017 8:54pm
Giantlandyman

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Wow. Just wow. Bow down

IF only you were closer you could show me how.

Post #429483 27th Feb 2017 9:07pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Indeed Bow down that's a serious retro-fit Thumbs Up

Post #429490 27th Feb 2017 10:14pm
GraemeS

I can supply the relevant part numbers etc.

A local wrecker wanted to charge an enormous amount for the RDCU connectors with wire stubs from a wrecked D4 on the basis that the connectors couldn't be sourced from anywhere else. 2 of the 3 connectors are the same as the TCCU but use different cavities and the sockets are unable to be removed from the shells without the special tool. In the end buying the shells from Dan and the sockets elsewhere was very inexpensive.

Post #429492 27th Feb 2017 10:59pm
rar110

Australia 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

A great effort Graeme, that few of us would have been able to re-engineer like you have.

If I had a choice I would have selected a L322 with a rear ediff. But like you said they are hard to find for the diesel.

Do you know if the RRS diesel has the same rear diff as a tdv8 L322? ______________________________
Vogue tdv8 08MY poverty pack - wow

Post #429496 28th Feb 2017 6:56am
GraemeS

The RRS has the same diff housing as the Discos but ratios would have to be checked.

Post #429498 28th Feb 2017 7:52am
rar110

Australia 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Ta. Just curious. I've never been stuck and don't have a driveway like yours to justify one. It would be a very nice to have.

I keep looking at the 4.2 SC and thinking that amount of power and torque with a rear ediff would be amazing, and thinking I don't do that many km, not that expensive to own. Then I remember I'm lucky to have what I've got. A BAS remap is a lot cheaper upgrade. 😄 ______________________________
Vogue tdv8 08MY poverty pack - wow

Post #429501 28th Feb 2017 8:16am
GraemeS

The only time I've been stuck in the RR was when wedged amongst rocks in the mud whilst negotiating the track purporting to be the public road to access my home but the e-diff retrofit was well under way by that time anyway.

Post #429508 28th Feb 2017 9:55am
Ajmngn

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

Graeme,

As far as you are aware, are the diff casings from the other L322 variants the same for the eDiffs for the previous 3.6TDV8/5.0SC, as for the newer 4.4TDV8. I know the ratios are different.

Assuming yes, is there any reason why I can’t take the internals from a 4.4TDV8 open diff and put them into a 5.0SC eDiff case? Andy

2010 4.4TDV8 Vogue SE in Santorini Black with Ivory interior
2017 Audi SQ5 3.0 V6T Quattro in Volcano Red

Post #664645 21st May 2023 8:49pm
GraemeS

I had considered moving my CW&P to a diff out of a 4.2 SC because they were readily available. LR don't sell diff components such as the pinion crush spacer and although I was aware of a supplier in the USA, I couldn't be without my only vehicle while the diff conversion occurred. I had thought to replace only mine's side housing, leaving my pinion in-situ and hoping that the meshing could correctly set, but again I couldn't be without my vehicle.

Post #664688 22nd May 2023 11:58am
Ajmngn

Graeme, that’s interesting and thanks for the reply.

I can get hold of both a 4.4TDV8 open diff and a 5.0SC eDiff for a very reasonable price so could do any works to combine the internals of one with the case and motor of the other on a bench independently of my car. My logic would be to essentially do a refurb job in the process so I end up with a lovely fresh painted eDiff with new seals and the correct 2.76 ratio for my 4.4TDV8.

It’s reassuring to know that, whilst no easy job, I’m not completely mental for thinking about giving it a go. The only thing I don’t understand is what the motor does to lock the diff, and whether the internals from a open diff can support that? Andy

Post #664690 22nd May 2023 12:18pm
Ajmngn

This is the eDiff I’ve found. It’s from a 4.2SC. It’s the only photo provided but only £200 so seems a bargain. I can get a 4.4TDV8 open diff even cheaper and would then sell the one that comes off my car to hopefully recoup a few £££.

I assume that I just unbolt the case at the rear (as you view it), and then revolt that to the open diff? Other than renewing seals/grease etc, it seems too easy. Am I missing something?

Andy

Post #664691 22nd May 2023 12:30pm
GraemeS

The crown wheel from the open 4.4 diff will need to be transferred to the e-diff centre. The backlash will then have to be checked and adjusted by shims fitted behind the bearings if out of spec.
The e-diff centre contains the clutch plates which get pushed together by an arm moved by the motor on a ramp to increase the force, all housed in the housing that is on the left side of the diff when fitted in the vehicle.

Post #664779 23rd May 2023 12:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1