Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Opinions fit a new engine again or sell as spares or repair?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
SteveRRL322

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver
Opinions fit a new engine again or sell as spares or repair?

Good afternoon guys,

Just asking the question on behalf of a colleague. He has a 2008 RRS HST TDV8 with only 50k and in excellent condition.
The engine blew a couple of years ago and he had his original reconditioned for 6k and all was fine for about 18 months.

About 6 months ago it ground to a halt and when taking the heads off at a local garage one of the pistons has domed and melted or maybe something has melted onto the piston. So he needs another engine. We have rang around and nobody really wants to replace it, the only one that said yes said they will get one in a crate from landrover and fit that with everyone
New but it would cost 12-14k.

So with the car worth about 15k what's the best option, spend a load on it or sell as is with it needing a new engine and get 5-7k.

What would you do or anybody know where to get a good second hand engine fitted?

Thanks

Steve. [/i]

Post #431291 15th Mar 2017 2:47pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

I faced a similar question in 2013, re my 2004 4.4 322. I decided that the cost of having a new engine fitted was not worth it and sold as it stood. I bought another 322, one of the last ones. It has had various problems, but I have never regretted my decision. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #431299 15th Mar 2017 3:34pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

The issue is dependent on a number of things.

Will he keep the car if the engine is replaced? If so the discussion about values is a moot point but if the intention is to sell it h would make more selling it as it stands.

Assuming he would keep it you then have the matter of garages not wanting to fit anything except a new crated engine from LR. This is nonsense and there are plenty of places which will fit a LR re-manufactured unit. It's not so much about the core of the engine, i.e. the block, pistons, heads etc. The main reason for TDV8 failures does seem to be about then lunching on their own turbochargers or an overheated piston caused by oil leaking through the turbo seals. So if a recon engine is fitted I would suggest that both the turbos and all the other bits like EGR valves are also replaced at the same time. I would also fit refurbished injectors

The cause of failure is not normally a defective piston so it is rather pointless replacing failed parts if the other bits which caused the failure are not replaced at the same time. Think new wine and old bottles.

Post #431309 15th Mar 2017 4:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1