Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > How to... Fit Android Head Unit to 2002-2005...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 11 of 19 <123 ... 101112 ... 171819>
Print this entire topic · 
khyber

United States 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

I found this interesting tidbit on various configuration. I have number 4 below it seems.

"I should have said that of the four systems offered in the 2002-2005 Range Rover, there are four amplifier configurations, all driven by the BM54, itself driven by iBus. However, in terms of the audio path, after the BM54 things change as follows:

1. Base System. The BM54 drives the speakers directly;
2. Mid System. The BM54 drives an amplifier with its high level variable outputs, and the amplifier is not connected directly to the iBus;
3. DSP System. The BM54 drives a DSP with a constant level output. THe DSP is connected to the iBus, and both amplifies and modifies, for spacial awareness, the sound;
4. Logic 7. The BM54 drives a Logic 7 processor and an amplifier with its high level variable output, and these two components are not connected to the iBus."

Post #432191 23rd Mar 2017 4:30am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

khyber wrote:
I am going send a note to their support to find out how this unit determines that the reverse gear is selected.

Usually the camera is wired in at the rear to a feed from the reversing lights, the head unit recognises when a signal is sent from the camera and switches the screen to display the camera, the head unit doesn't care which gear you are in....

One of my plans was to fix numerous cameras on/under the FF and run them through a switching unit to assist with wheel placement while off road... Power up a camera and it would switch the head unit to a feed from it....

BTW I still don't think the Logic 7 will be plug and play... if you do it right you can chop the plugs off carefully so someone can reinstall them later if needed, can't see why anyone would bother though....

Good luck Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #432269 23rd Mar 2017 3:31pm
khyber

Thanks for the tip regarding how the backup camera is wired.

I am waiting for the DSP extension cable to test if the unit works. That's the first step.

I have done some research and I am under the impression that I could just plug one end of the extension cable to BM54 and Amp (Male and Female ends of the 17/40 pin connector) and the other to the Eonon android unit and it should all work. Any special steps like disconnecting the battery or the existing MID or turning the volume down etc. before attempting this?

Post #432295 23rd Mar 2017 5:08pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

just wait for the car to go to sleep...little red light by gear lever.. And you can plug the new unit in with the short lead to test it... FYI do a test on the install when it's in but before you put everything back, just incase... I still reckon that there should be a wire marked backup lights or revering camera... Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #432336 23rd Mar 2017 8:11pm
khyber

I am happy to report that Eonon GA6201 unit is plug and play with HK Logic 7 system and its amps. It sounded great in fact.

I tested with the included short connector and hopefully it would work with extension wire which is on its way.

I will have to plan the installation as it seems a little daunting. One of the issues making it difficult is the fact that my car is in a public garage.

Post #432579 25th Mar 2017 12:21pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Whistle Go to see Mum and Dad... and take the car, or a friends with a bit of space.. it is possible to do the job in public, but you do have to keep on moving bits around.. having said that test the unit on the long lead, and just start at the front, do the dash / glove box bit and make good then move on to the seat... which if your careful doesn't need to be unplugged as there is enough (just) lead to lay it on its side behind passenger seat, feed wire and then seat back and move on to the next bit, until you get to the rear.

If you don't disconnect the seat, you'll be able to leave the battery connected, so you'll be able to lock / unlock the car at will Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #432638 25th Mar 2017 9:10pm
khyber

Pete, one thing I noticed in your pictures and tutorial was that you placed the GPS antenna under the dash. Doesn't GPS antenna need line of sight?

Post #433299 31st Mar 2017 2:07am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

No, it will work through a plastic dash and a glass windscreen like they weren't there, the aerial is encased in plastic anyway...!!! Heat reflective windscreens in the later models wouldn't be good but that shouldn't affect yours... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #433315 31st Mar 2017 9:57am
khyber

Pete, I managed to install the Android system following your instructions. The 5M extension was plug and play as I don't have DSP rather the Logic 7 system. My system also came with a wifi antenna in addition to GPS that I placed under the dash.

Took me more than 2 days and I still have some loose ends to tie up. Wasn't an easy job and made tougher by cold windy conditions on the first two days. The only place I could work on this was outside on the roof of a 7 story garage in Manhattan. I am sure some of the folks parking there thought I was a lunatic Smile

The system works great. Couldn't get the old head unit working in glove box as the original wiring is about 2 inches too short. Not sure if its worth it but would like take a look at it at some point in the future.

Will post some picture soon.

Post #435341 19th Apr 2017 1:36am
Danwilderspin

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Hi all looking at the guide it mentions to connect the speaker components to the one of the four channels but no mention of the sub - is it assumed this will be changed?

Post #435423 19th Apr 2017 7:42pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

The ffrr sub requires a signal on the ibus to turn it on.. As the majority of us aren't Rocket Scientists, the sub is usually left disconnected... However, if you really desire the use of the sub, I would suggest that you run a phono lead from the sub out on the head unit to the rear cubby, where an aftermarket amp can be fitted and wired directly to the sub speakers, bypassing the problematical ibus setup Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #435438 19th Apr 2017 9:11pm
Danwilderspin

Ok great what did you do re capacitors for the tweeters and stuff like that?

Post #435501 20th Apr 2017 8:45pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Didn't bother, really doesn't effect the sound, try it with Pete's wiring guide and see if it sounds OK.. if it does you saved yourself some dosh, if you really can't live with it then add some passive 2 / 3 way crossovers to the wiring in the boot... easily done, BUT, while 2 way crossover networks can be had for under a tenner a pair you'll find that 3 way crossovers are 4-5 times that price Shocked Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #435540 21st Apr 2017 9:58am
Danwilderspin

Hi Migget,

Yes I found that - I spoke to a friend who is a sound engineer and he worked out the caps id need for a simple hot for the mid and tweeter. I have it quite loud and don't want to blow the tweeter so I have ordered some caps and hopefully this will do the trick... I will be running off an amp too...

Post #435541 21st Apr 2017 9:59am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Just remember to post your findings if it works Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #435542 21st Apr 2017 10:57am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 11 of 19 <123 ... 101112 ... 171819>