Home > Off Topic > email options, web hosting etc
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jonnyboy54321

United Kingdom 
email options, web hosting etc

Chaps.

I have a company website. Designed by a previous customer as a "deal" who promptly fell off the radar, so it aint been updated since launched 7 years ago. The contact page form/link doesn't work.
Is intended role was purely to showcase my work as a landscaper. Obviously, the marketplace has changed somewhat.
It's hosted by a web hosting company and I have email addresses attached to the domain for both personal and business. Three of them at the moment but hopefully more to follow when we expand. So for example "bobby@bobbysgardens.com". From memory I pay the hosting co something like £90/100 a year to host. Also have to pay a fee to easyspace for the domain name every couple of years.

3 yrs or so ago, the hosters persuaded me that IMAP was a better way forward than POP (we collectively use windows live mail as the email client on pc, and a mix of idevice and android devices) due to commonality/sync between devices. They've been a decent company in terms of response times when something goes wrong/spam occurs and the likes. A while ago I had a convo with them about excessive spam, they said that Exchange was the best way forward from imap, but they charge £7/mth per address. I declined due to not having a limitless IT budget.

Today they have given me (and others) a months notice that they are switching all clients to Exchange with the charges and if we dont like it we have to go elsewhere.Clearly I have now got the right hump as I think its a liberty they are taking, and it is a shame as I have always found them decent. I realise that they don't get much income from the likes of me but it does rankle quite a bit - this "compulsory" lark - I have a similar outlook on a scenario to do with agents I currently work with on the go as well.

So I need to make a change, a cost effective one, as seamless and hassle free as it can be, and while I am at it there's an opportunity to sharpen up my web presence (without getting rafts of daft enquiries/mystery shoppers/timewasters).

I work with tools, not computers, so you'll have to humour my lack of technical knowledge.

Anyone got any advice/points in the right direction? I feel like the company concerned are taking advantage of "lax" people like myself.

Hugely appreciated! 2007 Vogue TDV8 with 255/55/20's fitted

Post #433863 4th Apr 2017 8:25pm
Rob99

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I have used 1and1.co.uk for many years for domain registrations and for email hosting across several different domain names. I haven't used them for web hosting but based on my experience with them am sure they would be fine at that side of things too.

Apart from the annual domain registration fees I pay them a small amount to have their basic email package which means I can have a number of specific name@domain.com email addresses and also *@domain.co.uk catch all email addresses which just divert all other emails to the domain to one email account.

All of this is via IMAP accounts and has worked faultlessly for years. The big advantage of IMAP accounts is that they synchronise across devices, so when I read an email on my iPhone it shows as read on my laptop too.

Haven't done web hosting as never needed it yet.

Good Luck Thumbs Up
. 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Gone, but not forgotten

Post #433874 4th Apr 2017 9:47pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

1 and 1 are good for that kind of thing. I do work with this stuff all day and have tried plenty. Sure, there are better technical solutions out there but most are complex.

If all you want is some space to host your website, email for a few people with decent anti spam and the hosting for your domain name then 1 and 1 are very good at this.

If you need help send me a PM and we can arrange a time for me to sort it all for you.

Dom

Post #433883 5th Apr 2017 7:52am
Joncey

Jersey 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

We have recently moved our web hosting to siteground and have been very impressed. They are one
of the better Wordpress hosting site out their if you are using Wordpress
They moved the site from our old host for free and all I needed to do was point my DNS at the new site.
Our package has free mail although we don't currently use this as I am currently using zoho mail which is free and is
Able to use our domain address plus they have apps so you can access the mail on your phone

Hope this helps you a little as it is a minefield out there

Post #433886 5th Apr 2017 8:40am
JPHC

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

Hi mate, I am a IT Consultant and do this kind of thing all the time. PM me and I can help you with hosting/mail and even updating the site. Jordan

'56 SC 4.2 ‘21-Current
'56 SC 4.2 ‘16-‘18

Post #433890 5th Apr 2017 9:27am
syl

Office 365 Business Essentials - £3.80 per user per month, full Exchange service direct from Microsoft.

TSOHost are good for website (and domain) hosting, from £15/year. Including standard email for 10.

Post #433905 5th Apr 2017 11:04am
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I just built up my web page using go daddy. Very easy and took a couple of hours and I have absolutely no web experience at all apart from posting on here.......

I pay about £5ish pcm for hosing and access to their page editor which seems pretty ok to me, and had a .com domain registered until 2022 for about £120. Not sure if the prices are good but it was easy and seemed ok value to me. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #433947 5th Apr 2017 5:08pm
jonnyboy54321

United Kingdom 

Some food for thought there - thanks guys - keep it coming.

What do we think about IMAP vs Exchange vs A.N.Other type of mail (domain-name based) ? Pros and cons? 2007 Vogue TDV8 with 255/55/20's fitted

Post #433955 5th Apr 2017 6:41pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

you can get domain based mail through the go daddy site i use, but tbh i don't bother. I have had a @gmail.com email for years and everyone knows what it is, so there is no point in changing it for the sake of doing so. It works on IMAP and syncs across devices so I can see the point of having a @domain.com email except to look a little more professional (which is a marginal call)

and its free...... There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #433956 5th Apr 2017 6:49pm
jonnyboy54321

United Kingdom 

I already have domain name email addresses and want to keep them. Nothing to do with not trusting google Rolling Eyes Laughing 2007 Vogue TDV8 with 255/55/20's fitted

Post #433963 5th Apr 2017 7:24pm
jonnyboy54321

United Kingdom 

Spoke to go daddy but not particularly conclusive 2007 Vogue TDV8 with 255/55/20's fitted

Post #433989 6th Apr 2017 6:01am
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

jonnyboy54321 wrote:
What do we think about IMAP vs Exchange vs A.N.Other type of mail (domain-name based) ? Pros and cons?

POP is old technology and should not be used these days unless you're talking about a mail account you don't care about. It downloads to one device and no backup is kept of the hosting mail server. You can configure this in settings on your mail client but it's a faff.

Presumably you are using MS Outlook as your mail client ??

IMPA is more modern and leaves a copy of the emails on the server. Easy to use multiple devices so mail on your phone as well.

Exchange is a proprietary version which Microsoft call MAPI. Works very well with Outlook and keeps all mail folders in sync. The best of the 3 IF you use Outlook. Also the most expensive.

All 3 will work with your own domain so you get a professional looking mail address.

Post #433992 6th Apr 2017 6:54am
jonnyboy54321

United Kingdom 

Using imap across all devices with email addresses name@domainname.com 2007 Vogue TDV8 with 255/55/20's fitted

Post #434001 6th Apr 2017 9:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1