Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > Do you still haggle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ffrr

United Kingdom 
Do you still haggle

Hi all me and swmbo was discussing if anybody haggles on car prices anymore,now myself personally if I chose a car and it ticked all the right boxes I would not mind paying the screen price Shocked but my misses thinks I'm mad(yes dear) I'm barking mad,she said she will always haggle the price down so that got me thinking does anyone actually do it anymore and if so how much would you knock off the screen price of your vehicle,I must admit I'm the worlds worst at this sort of thing and Arthur Daley back in the day would have loved me so how would you guys go about knocking £££ off?? 1999 disco td5(blue gs) gone.
2000 disco td5(silver Es) gone.
2000 disco td5 auto(silver Es) gone.
3 mondeo st220 all gone
Tintent Bailey senator Wyoming series 6

Post #433763 3rd Apr 2017 10:22pm
Basilfawlty

England 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

I think your missus is right. But rather knocking money off the screen price do your home-work first because the only important number is the one to do the deal.

You need to look at exactly what you are after. Model, year, spec etc. Then when you've done this compare very similar cars on a national basis. Some prefer sticking local and this has benefits but it's rarely where the best price to change is.

Then when you've done your home-work and you know what dealers are charging do a few checks on some of the big franchise sites and put in two or three of the cars you are interested in as though you were the owner. That way you'll have a pretty reasonable idea of what the car that they have up fo sale owes them. It's at this point that you will know where the best value is. Generally speaking dealers sell nearly new stock around 5-8k more than they bought it in at but this can vary wildly either way but in particular on the up side for them. Also bear in mind a car with lots of expensive optional extras may make you very keen but rarely makes the bid you'll be given come sale any different despite what they tell you.

Personally I look for cars that are up for sale very near to the buy in figure. Yes these do appear but you need to be careful that you know what you are doing with colour and spec / trim etc because often there are reasons for cheap cars........but not always.

Finally and this obviously depends on whether you have a part ex, remember a cheap and desirable car is only that if your part ex price is at the same or similar level to what the average sector price is showing. So don't be afraid to give dealers a in depth idea of exactly what your part ex is and it's genuine condition. Supply photos and ask for their best price to change and say that any offers are subject to the cars being exactly as described.

People will probably tell you that you'll get a couple of grand off for cash or credit but always remember the best deal may be on the one where they give nothing off the price...........because it's already the cheapest. It's very easy to inflate a price in order to give a big discount but it could still mean an expensive car.

Tonight give your wife a hug and tell her she did good Thumbs Up

Post #433765 3rd Apr 2017 10:56pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I hate haggling, but to some degree, it has to be done.

I usually find a couple of serious contenders and rank them in order of preference. Then start with the one I want & tell them that they are my preference, but the others have offered me a better deal.

I focus on cost to change as I trade in - so I don't care whether they discount, or offer me a better px price - and if you finance, then the APR can be negotiated too.

Post #433766 3rd Apr 2017 11:04pm
gregdav

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Always leave it to the wife. Thumbs Up

Post #433780 4th Apr 2017 6:53am
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

It's all about the cost to change.

Take a number of offers for PX on my own car. Then select the highest.
Look at a number of correct spec cars to buy - select the cheapest.

Then the difference is the most I will ever pay as a cost to trade up and it's never up for negotiation. Sooner or later I find a dealer who wants the business, TOP TIP. End of month/quarter/their financial year (best of all) is a really good time to do this.

New reg time is to be avoided as they are busy and couldn't give a damn. But try the 27th December when they're quieter than a church mouse. Promise to do the deal before end of year. You can pretty much name your own terms then. They have targets and almost no customers at that time.

Also have a look how long the car has been in stock. They hate stuff which won't move fro whatever reason. These are real bargains - you can be utterly ruthless with them on such items.

I used to be loyal to one dealer but it doesn't pay. Basically the overwhelming majority are market traders or failed double glazing salesmen who figured out how to put on a suit and cheap aftershave. Haggle to your heart's content and stick to your guns. You don't want to be making their pay packets any larger than you need to.

Oh and it goes without saying, avoid the upsell. If you want something specific like a servicing plan etc then ask for it free as part of the deal. Once you get to the point they say No you are driving them into negative profit which few will do, unless of course they have a target to meet....or perhaps they have one which is bolted to the floor (can't shift it).......and then you really can squeeze them hard.

Post #433809 4th Apr 2017 1:30pm
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Personally i enjoy the haggle and dont feel im doing myself justice unless i get a discount . I bought a new to me GSXR last week and haggled and had to walk away. 3 days later guy called and accepted my offer. Difference got me a new crash helmet and a alpinestars jacket --- result !!! I will say im on the poorer end of the scale of incomes on here so maybe if i was wealthy i would have a different outlook Thumbs Up 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #433835 4th Apr 2017 6:21pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

You don't get wealthy by giving away your hard earned Fella. Glad you got what you wanted at your happy price. Thumbs Up

Post #433887 5th Apr 2017 9:45am
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Just remember, the salesperson has had a lot more haggling experience than the average customer. Very good advice in this thread.

Post #434301 8th Apr 2017 10:46pm
ohuntsman

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

mzplcg wrote:
You don't get wealthy by giving away your hard earned Fella. Glad you got what you wanted at your happy price. Thumbs Up

Owning a FFRR doesn't help either Shocked Rolling with laughter

Post #434324 9th Apr 2017 9:46am
archermav

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

I went out to buy a new bike last week, Yam MT09. Two dealers and couldn't get anything, and I mean anything to sweeten the deal. So, I didn't buy one. Trying another dealer next week.

Post #434340 9th Apr 2017 12:41pm
Gumball3000

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Always haggle , always get something off as a result . owned nearly 65 cars so used to it.
Saying that i haggle when buying household items too, my wife runs away when i start but i dont see the harm . the worst thing i have been told is no. Laughing Laughing

Post #434480 10th Apr 2017 5:56pm
Mob17

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

You don't ask you don't get

Post #434760 12th Apr 2017 9:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1