Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Take care when considering mods.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Spelunker

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver
Take care when considering mods.

Most of you may already be aware, but looking at some really nice face-lift ffs the other day I wondered if the owners had notified their insurance regarding these changes. After my ff was brushed by another driver resulting in the need for a new front bumper recently I asked the repairers, just out of interest, what would have happened if I had one of these face-lift ffs.
They were split inconclusively where one said they would probably replace to the new style and the other thought they might have to go back to how it looked when 'factory fresh'. Both were adamant however that ANY changes from stock (if you can ever call an ff stock) had to be reported to the insurer or there would be a risk of them refusing to cover some or all of the cost of any repairs. This also means that any known or suspected mods should be declared when you buy an ff or you could literally find yourself technically only covered for third party damage. [/u] QUID FACIUM TIBI
ANTEQUAM ALIIS

2003 TD6 VOGUE Zambezi Silver
tows 2006 Lunar Delta 540/2

Post #434392 9th Apr 2017 8:59pm
cliff5.0sc

Ouch OffRoadRover.com An American Western Range Rover Off Road Blog

Post #434550 11th Apr 2017 4:47am
gregdav

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

The same with non standard alloy wheel's, if they can riddle out of paying out they will.
most major mods really worth informing them.

Post #434553 11th Apr 2017 5:45am
Tom Heath

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tonga Green

Good point - thanks for the advice. I've just put new wheels on mine - although they are still genuine wheels, they are off a newer L405 and I don't want to risk the insurance not covering the wheels! 2005 L322 Tonga Green 4.4l BMW Engine with Touchscreen
GAP IID BT on order!
1966 Mustang Convertible, 5.8l V8

Post #434596 11th Apr 2017 1:41pm
Rob99

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

It's not just the wheels they won't cover!!

If they consider anything a modification from when it left the factory/dealers as new then your insurance contract will state you have to advise them. If you don't, then potentially your insurance is void Shocked 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Gone, but not forgotten

Post #434613 11th Apr 2017 3:31pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

^ Agree - I know someone this happened to - the basis they used was that they would have refused cover had the modification been declared.

When I had a facelifted L322 I declared as best I could - I selected body kit and something like manufacturer optional alloy wheels. I also selected tints & tow bar as they were done later and not on the build sheet.

My L405 has 22's and tints that were not on the build sheet, so I tick the relevant boxes for those Thumbs Up

Post #434621 11th Apr 2017 4:02pm
Rangeyman

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Yes beware as back in the early 90s my brother had his fiesta nicked but when he reported it his description given was fancy alloy wheels.when it came to the insurance they refused to pay and he didn't get a penny.

Post #434637 11th Apr 2017 6:36pm
archermav

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

I recently put some 405 alloys on my 322 and rang the insurance to check. No increase in premium, I was mildly surprised as we all know they do like to make money.

Post #434642 11th Apr 2017 7:14pm
NobbyC

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue

It's not just major mods you have to declare to insurers.
Basically any change beyond the factory build sheet has to be declared. Particularly changes including egr bypass's, remaps and decats which are classed as performance mods, cosmetic changes inside and out that may alter the vehicle value and non OEM build led lights, particularly headlight/fogs. Many insurers will just note the information on your policy tho' in some cases will add a small percentage to the premium or refuse cover!
When it comes to LED headlights etc - whilst it is a growing trend - the majority of LED lights aren't road legal (packaging always states in small print "for off road use only"). I jest not - my brother-in-law had his insurance claim refused last year following a minor smash. The accident assessor found that he'd fitted LED headlight and fog light conversion kits and pointed out that there was signs of excessive heat adjacent to the heat sinks. Whilst these were unrelated to the accident damage he obviously included it in his report as the insurer later refused to payout as the mods had not been declared. He since had difficulty arranging new insurance on his replacement car with other companies. So insurance buyer beware - it's all in the small print - they want your money and are loath to give any back

Post #434651 11th Apr 2017 7:57pm
Spelunker

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

I dont know if it was a joke, but I once read that a driver trying to get cover for his 10 year old car was asked if the tyres were the factory fitted ones or replacements. This could have been a misunderstanding and they meant same type, but then again..... QUID FACIUM TIBI
ANTEQUAM ALIIS

2003 TD6 VOGUE Zambezi Silver
tows 2006 Lunar Delta 540/2

Post #434655 11th Apr 2017 8:52pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

There was a big story about insurance companies not covering winter tyres a few years ago - that turned out mainly to be a size issue and what they meant was fitting narrower winter tyres - I still declare those to my insurance company too even though I use the same size

Post #434664 11th Apr 2017 9:41pm
Rob99

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Insurance is one of those topics where everyone has a story......very emotive.

One of my bug bears (especially now I have a fattie) is that they will quite happily explain in detail that your premium is high because it's a desirable vehicle and, if damaged, is very expensive to repair. But then, when you make a claim for damage, the little Censored try and fob you off with their "approved repairers" who in my experience are just money grabbing cowboys who charge the insurers full whack and then don't use genuine manufacturers parts claiming they are using equivalent quality after market bits.

Rant over, now where's my medication Shocked 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Gone, but not forgotten

Post #434669 11th Apr 2017 10:51pm
berkshirelad

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Tonga Green

It always amuses me that gambling is frowned upon, but insurance is positively encouraged (demanded).

Post #435850 25th Apr 2017 9:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1