Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > My Reverse Camera Install
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
khyber

United States 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

I was testing the camera in the boot area. There is a connector by the spare tire with two white with yellow stripe wires that are supposedly for the reverse lights. There are also a brown wire for earth. I tried hooking the camera to those but it didn't work. Eonon doesn't need the reverse light signal according to their rep because it gets notified via Canbus. It then switches to the camera if there a video signal which apparently is not there.

Unfortunately my multi meter is with a friend who is out of town until the end of next week.

Post #433757 3rd Apr 2017 9:30pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

If you're just in the testing process, wise move!, could you not apply a known 12v feed to the camera to test that works, before you go pulling the wiring loom apart... When I do anything like that I have an Optima Yellow top battery that I use as a power source and for powering an inverter to power my soldering iron Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #433786 4th Apr 2017 8:34am
Clivefog

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

I posted last year about getting a TV upgrade and reversing camera fitted. I drove to Birmingham and waited, and well waited for 4 hours before they looked at the thing, very frustrated at this point, 2 minutes later I was told I have the TV digital upgrade already and they had tuned the unit - that all it needed, doh! - then that they were very busy and may not have time to complete the camera install. I was about to explode and was presented with a camera kit and a relay with how to wire instructions as a good will gesture/no hard feelings.
So I drove home feeling smug when I realise that the TV is on! Turned that off.
Inspecting today there is a non BMW/Land Rover insert which I assume allows the on the move TV.

Any way I dry fitted the camera in the boot and it works just fine. I'll drill a hole in the lower bumper trim just above the tow ball for hitching which is what I wanted it for. Find the soldering iron and route and hide the cables and job done.

One question the video lead has little red fly leads from both plugs do these need running to earth or cutting off?

Post #436465 30th Apr 2017 1:41pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

The red fly leads are to enable you to power the camera from the point of connection to the system or to send the switch signal to the head... I would use it to power the camera, that way you've only got to find a suitable earth Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #436495 30th Apr 2017 6:39pm
Clivefog

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Thank you that's cleared that up. Perhaps the fitters don't use them and that's why that was not explained on the diagram, who knows.

Post #436500 30th Apr 2017 6:59pm
n1cktdv8

2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Chaps....sorry to drag this thread up but I need some help. I replaced the failed LR camera last year. Stripped the housing and got a cheap ebay camera to fit, with guidelines. It's bugging me that the guides are not central and I cannot see the tow bar so I am thinking of extending the existing wires and replacing the spoiler mounted LR camera with a new and more appropriate solution. Ideally that solution will see the tow ball and have no guidelines.

Your experience and testing is appreciated guys Thumbs Up Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #441057 9th Jun 2017 12:18pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

You'll need an X5 camera like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Reversing-Pa...SwHoFXtE6l

They replace one of the number plate lamps and will see the towbar and the rear bumper..

You will need to cut the lamp holder out and a little of the plastic to get it to fit, but they do work with a ffrr and don't involve any holes in the bodywork Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

And this is a view, in which you can just make out the bumper, with a towbar fitted you can see the hitch no problems

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #441283 11th Jun 2017 11:42pm
n1cktdv8

That looks so much more usable than the original position and view. I'll take a look at this alternative I think. Do you have any info/tips on your install please?

Only issue is that camera is PAL. Not sure of all the differences but the '07 has a different head unit etc and needs to be NTSC ! Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #441294 12th Jun 2017 8:43am
miggit

United Kingdom 

try this one !! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-View-Revers...-4ocFoISPg

That is the type that I fitted in my car.. when fitting you have to cut the lamp holder and a bit of the frame, but everything on the outer face stays untouched, I did have to put a small screw in mine to keep it put, where as the black type one that I fitted in a pals car just clipped in place first time.. if you hunt about you can get both types black / clear in NTSC.

The only other thing that you'll need to do is turn off the numberplate monitoring in the LCM.... while the led works well, it isn't canbus so you'll get alot of Death Bongs and messages on the Screen of Doom.. Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #441349 12th Jun 2017 6:41pm
n1cktdv8

Appreciate it's different but I assume you fed wiring down the upper tailgate? If yes, how did you remove that internal panel or was there another way of getting additional cable to the number plate light Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #441559 15th Jun 2017 9:00am
miggit

United Kingdom 

The tailgate trim unclips, start at the top (bottom when tailgate is open!) the centre panel pops first, then the 2 sides and then the lower which you have to pop the lights out of first. There are wires running up the side of the tailgate and I just cable tied the camera wires to them, I also found that it's easier to feed the cables through the off side cable duct, and cutting off the plugs really helps... which as your connecting up to the factory camera wires, I imagine that you'll be hard wiring Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #441560 15th Jun 2017 9:10am
n1cktdv8

I have those cream coloured panels off, the one I am struggling with is the large black panel where the lights sit, the one that's attached to the upper tailgate. there are 2 screw but it's rigid even when I remove them ! Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #441563 15th Jun 2017 9:29am
miggit

United Kingdom 

I'm not the best person to ask about this as I don't have a reference source anymore... sold it last year.. I'd forgotten about the screws, I do know that it is held on with some very strong clips, like the door panels Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #441642 15th Jun 2017 10:23pm
p38arover

Australia 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

miggit and Cliffy, any chance of updating your posts with new linked images? Imageshack has really screwed up the forum world. Ron B. VK2OTC
2004 L322 V8 Auto
2007 Yamaha XJR1300
Previous: 1983, 1986 RRC; 1995, 1996 P38A; 1995 Disco1; 1984 V8 County 110; Series IIA

Post #447168 9th Aug 2017 5:25am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Well I tried to download my album from Photobucket......

After the 5th attempt, I have Censored given up... Censored image thiefs Evil or Very Mad Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #447199 9th Aug 2017 11:18am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>