Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > Trouble shooting dvd player
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
anvia

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue
Trouble shooting dvd player

Hallo all,
So, I'm the new owner of a 2011 tdv8. Lovely car! Sadly, the dealer I have nothing nice to say about.

In good news, so far the majority of issues I have found have been down to the ignorance and laziness of the dealer. Simply putting batteries in key fobs, & reading the manual and tracking down the right button have "fixed" many of its issues - lucky me! I am very appreciative of this!

I do have trust issues here - getting it mechanically checked over later this week, but the toys I need to fathom out myself or find a man (or lady. ..) who can.

So, in the interests of domestic bliss I would like to get the dvd player working if possible. By simply reading the manual and inserting the cassette correctly - it has come to life!!! (This "fix" also worked on the cd player....)

So it has power & can display images clearly in colour with all 3 screens now I've fiddled with the settings.
I've loaded 6 genuine UK bought dvds in good condition, no scratches ect.... and the player physically accepts them, I can hear it moving them around, but it either fails to recognise any of the discs, or just picks up one. Not always from the same sleeve or disc, I've swapped them around.
If it fails to recognise any of them it displays "check" in the top left part of the screen.

So the dealer said the laser was faulty, 2 seconds after he assured me it worked perfectly.... yup - enough said.

Does anyone have any experience of this? / any ideas? / anything I am doing wrong? / or not doing?
Could the numpty dealer have upset something internally ramming the cassette in incorrectly?

I'd be grateful if anyone could help - all suggestions (even the really obvious things!) gratefully received - I've never met an in car dvd player before... I'm really pleased it has come back to life, but not sure what to do next to get it in good working order.
Many thanks.

Post #437475 8th May 2017 9:42am
berkshirelad

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Tonga Green

If it's faulty - and he was the one that said faulty laser - then it is up to him to fix it at no cost to you.

It is part of the spec for the car that you bought and must work (unless specifically pointed out before sale that it does not).

He, in law, must be given the opportunity to fix it - if he can or will not then you are entitled to go elsewhere and then charge him the cost of the repair. If he is that dodgy, then you may have to resort to small claims.

I would check out the rest of the car first to see if there are any other problems and go back to him with a list and a (reasonable) time scale for rectification.

Post #437477 8th May 2017 9:52am
zarnd

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey

Mine does this occasionally and will only pick up a few of the six discs that are loaded into the cassette.

Be interested if there is a fix for this as it is frustrating.

cheers Alex

2018 Skoda Kodiaq vRS
2009 Caterham Supersport Race car
2007 M5 Touring
2005 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged
2004 SL55 AMG

Post #437482 8th May 2017 10:12am
anvia

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

Thanks - yes I'm aware of his responsibilities, and practically what the chances are of him sorting it out to my satisfaction. To get the spec we wanted we didn't buy locally , he was tasked with fixing numerous things which he didn't (including the dvd) before we collected it (he had a week). We had the choice to take it as is, or walk away.
5 hours of animated discussion later plus several trips to their workshop - we decided to take the car anyway. The price was OK, even with its issues. Most of which have thankfully turned out to be very simple fixes.

However that said... it's booked in for a full mechanical check & we will see what that finds. Fingers crossed it's OK, it's a very nice drive - but I may not have finished with this dealer.

Dependant on what is found.... I wouldn't trust this dealer to find his own backside. .. let alone work on a car of mine. ... we shall see... minor issues I will take to someone I trust, major ones I may reject the vehicle.

Let's hope is a case of great vehicle in the hands of a terrible dealer. Feeling guilty that we've let this idiot get his hands on my beautiful old car in part ex...

As I get older I am noticing the more "prestige" the vehicle & the higher the price tag the less useful the dealers are - great for fancy coffee and designer shoes - but the level of service is deplorable.

Wouldn't be the first time I've brought trading standards in...

Post #437492 8th May 2017 11:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1