Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > End of my tether........
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Rilla

Isle Of Man 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Santorini Black
End of my tether........

Worst car choice ever?

Had my '09 TDV8 westminster for just over 12 months now, and think im at the point of setting fire to the bloody thing and walking away.

So far, we had a great first 3 months, drove lovely, everything worked as it should. Then it started.

First up, alternator decided it would be best if it just gave up the ghost. No warning, no slow failure, nope, just a total refusal to do anything other than a dash board disco of lights and bings. In the garage, replaced alernator & battery. £1000 all in.

3 days, yes you read that right, 3 DAYS after getting back from the garage for alternator fix, the egr valves decided they liked the look of the alternators rebelious mood and followed suit. 2 new egr valves later and relieved of another £1000.

Then the petrol guage sender failed, fixed on the 'cheap' but still another £400 bill.....

And now, after a bit of digging on here, it would appear there is a turbo hose joining the rebel alliance. On a trip over to England, driving down the M6 all happy and serene, dreaded BING! followed by obligatory dash display & limp mode.

Turn off engine, wait 10 secs, restart and all fine apart from no cruise control. Now why on earth a turbo hose fault would cause the loss of cruise control, I have no logical idea, but to my mind it just goes to show what an amazing piece of engineering these cars are.

Now all I can hope for is that its just a hose, and no damage has been done to either turbo.

I have no idea how much this little job will rob me, but suffice to say it was actually cheaper to run my old Audi RS6 that it is to run this Censored box of a car. And at least the audi did 180mph.

Anyone got any idea of rough cost for getting the latest disaster rectified??? 2009 Westminster. Mariana black with ivory leather.

Post #439661 26th May 2017 8:59am
Rilla

Isle Of Man 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Santorini Black

Oh, forgot to mention (as I feel it is an important bit of info) the car has only done 60k miles.

Now i dont know about you guys, but for a car of this value, and stature, with only 60k miles on the clock, seems like a very poor return for your money in terms of miles per £? 2009 Westminster. Mariana black with ivory leather.

Post #439662 26th May 2017 9:07am
zarnd

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey

Out of the three LR products I have had, Defender 90 Td5, Disco 3 TdV6 HSE and now the RR, this is the cheapest out of the lot to run, service and maintain.

Hopefully you won't have many more problems and it will just be a hose and nothing more.

cheers and good luck Alex

2018 Skoda Kodiaq vRS
2009 Caterham Supersport Race car
2007 M5 Touring
2005 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged
2004 SL55 AMG

Post #439663 26th May 2017 9:18am
rar110

Australia 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Sorry to your dramas. But it sounds like you have several common failures come early and all at once.

Alternator: failure typically occurs from 60,000miles or 100,000km. And often kills the battery. So that's good for at least another 60k.

EGR: unusual but have read about them failing early. On the plus side the turbo failures seem to be connected with EGR failures for unclear reasons. Low mileage may have saved your turbos.

Fuel gauge: More common as these cars age by the sounds of it. Yours has failed a little bit early. My 2007 has started to play up intermittently.

Turbo hose: a consumable really. ______________________________
Vogue tdv8 08MY poverty pack - wow

Post #439735 26th May 2017 9:20pm
TJH1985

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

All common issues, our altanator went at 70k ish and the turbo hose at 74k.. looking at its history it had one at 50k as well.

Land Rovers Rolling with laughter

Post #444008 9th Jul 2017 10:32am
Scottyav

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Zambezi Silver

Forget low miles that's when issues happen get a 100k fatty and mostly are ironed out, egrs mapped out are a thing that should be done without a thought tbh when you get oneive done 45k in craigs old chariot and spent under a grand on everything including servicing pads bits etc worth the little extra imo for me long term Thumbs Up _____________________________________________________
Zambezi silver Vogue Se unique Smile

Post #444060 9th Jul 2017 7:07pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

The hose is easy to replace, takes 5 mins. Needs a screwdriver.

Have a look in the wiki.

Hose is not expensive, ask Dan for a price. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #444065 9th Jul 2017 7:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1