Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Choice of next car.....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
MrP

England 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black
Choice of next car.....

So time has come for me to decide on the next car - I have put a deposit down on a model due out in 2018 and it's full electric (not a Tesla). Still not ruled out a new RR but having driven a Tesla I think electric is the way forward.

Views? "On first name terms with my local Dealer......now."

'61 Plate 5.0SC Autobiography - in Black β€”β€”β€” Gone
'53 plate 4.4V8 Vogue Bonatti Grey inside and out. ----- Gone

Post #441176 10th Jun 2017 11:20pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Electric is definitely the Way forwards, unfortunately charging is always going to be an issue. Until hydrogen fuel cells are economic we are just hamstrung with having to charge them up.

Ok yes teslas have their supercharger stations, but nothing is going to compete with being able to fill it with something from a pump, be that hydrogen or gas.

We are getting there though another 5-10 years and we will have cracked it. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #441178 10th Jun 2017 11:46pm
MrP

True, it's a rare day that I do more then 300 miles these days and with the range of the one I'm looking at being 500km per charge and 80% charged in 90 mins I'm suddenly quite interested. Just seen a new battery type being developed with similar characteristics to Lithium ion but is composed of organic components and can be fully charged in 5 mins - now that will be a game changer. "On first name terms with my local Dealer......now."

Post #441185 11th Jun 2017 8:16am
UK Marine

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Mmm interesting, but you must choose wisely. When I buy a car it's usually with one eye firmly on how I will use it or could use it.

For instance I have a twin wheel caravan so whatever car I buy must be able to tow it, I don't know of any electric car that can tow a caravan yet. I also look at how much 'stuff' I may be called on to carry in the boot, remember too much room in the car is preferable to too little when you need it...

Also there is the question of the batteries, I used to hire quite a few battery powered fork lifts and their batteries had to be under a separate agreement because batteries don't last very long at all and they are very very expensive.

I seem to recall Nissan having a similar agreement whereby you bought the car (Nissan Leaf) but leased the batteries. I don't know how they all do it these days re. the batteries but I would have my eye firmly on the future regarding replacing them.

I am another that thinks that hydrogen fuel is the way forward, all it will take is the big oil companies to pull their collective heads out of there ar*s*s and start to invest in the infrastructure. Don't forget that your electric bill will go up considerably because the ranges quoted by the manufacturers for their electric cars must be taken with a pinch of salt.

Regards ______________________________
Simon

Range Rover Classic 3.5 efi - Gone
Range Rover Classic 3.9 efi - Gone
Range Rover Classic 4.2 LSE - Sadly gone
Land Rover 110 3.5 - Gone
Range Rover P38a 4.0 SE - Pleased it's gone
Range Rover P38a 2.5 DHSE - Just sold
Range Rover L322 4.4 v8 Petrol - Current

Post #441187 11th Jun 2017 8:49am
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Indeed it is, it's just then down to the charging infrastructure. Home charging in that time might never be possible though. The current draw to put that much power into a battery in that time will be very high.

A normal house with a normal supply can only pull 80-100 amps, so a max of 24kw. You need around 5-10kw of general use, if you don't have electric showers and the like, which leaves 14kw spare.

The car batteries have a capacity of around 90kwh. So to fully charge at home with the full supply of the house would take nearly 4 hours and if you wanted to use other stuff at home you are looking at more like6.

The fast chargers need high power feeds drawing almost 400a. Not something you can have at home......

However I agree that if enough charging stations can be built and they can get charging times down to minutes rather than hours it will be the future!! There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #441188 11th Jun 2017 8:52am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Electric may be the way forward, but that doesn't mean you need to buy one now Whistle

I'd have one for a small city car, but not as a FFRR replacement yet.

Post #441190 11th Jun 2017 8:58am
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

MrP don't leave us hanging - what are you buying?
. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #441191 11th Jun 2017 9:00am
Mikey

Scotland 

MrP wrote:
Just seen a new battery type being developed with similar characteristics to Lithium ion but is composed of organic components and can be fully charged in 5 mins - now that will be a game changer.

Most interesting. Full charge in the time I think takes to sit and have a coffee in the services Thumbs Up

Post #441193 11th Jun 2017 9:07am
MrP

Staying with the Jag Land Rover Family - I-Pace

Home charging for me would be an overnight 8-10 hour charge so not worried about time to home charge. Have solar to offset the increased electric bill. Second car is still a landy so towing issues sorted, I will be leasing anyway so not worried about resale or battery life (warranted for over 7 years anyway).

If you haven't driven an electric car recently I highly recommend you do if only to appreciate the Potential. "On first name terms with my local Dealer......now."

Post #441194 11th Jun 2017 9:09am
A1GSS

England 

Did you get a leasing figure out of Jaguar? I was sorely tempted but the absence of any pricing info was an issue Graham

____
Gone: 10MY L320 RR Sport HSE, Ipanema Sand
Gone: 20MY Jaguar iPace HSE, Silicon Silver
Gone: 17MY RR Evoque SE Tech, Loire Blue
Gone: 08MY Discovery 3 XS, Stornoway Grey
Gone: 07MY FFRR TDV8 Vogue, Stornoway Grey

Post #441199 11th Jun 2017 10:19am
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Amazing!

When I rode in Tesla I understood the gravity of what is happening here.
Forget Hybrids, pure electric cars are here, now. And they're awesome.

Love the I-pace interior too.
. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Last edited by GGDR on 12th Jun 2017 7:48am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #441244 11th Jun 2017 4:39pm
MrP

No I didn't get any pricing as they just don't know. I know what Tesla would want and I know what I pay for the FFRR so anywhere close is fine. It's only an option to buy for now so I will wait with baited breath and see what turns up - still can change my mind but strongly tending towards an EV. "On first name terms with my local Dealer......now."

Post #441282 11th Jun 2017 11:42pm
n1cktdv8

2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

The electric debate is very useful but like others I don't think it ticks boxes in all areas for many of us on here. I mean, lets be honest we run big fuel hungry barges on here as our daily runners. Many offroad them, so no charge in the desert or moors. Many tow and despite electric having great torque figures there isn't one that's received great tow car feedback. As a daily runner, the electric cars are great for inner city but for longer runs, like for like for many large 4WD owners - I think they have a long way to go. Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #441305 12th Jun 2017 10:19am
gizze

United Kingdom 

I said on the BMW forums about 10 years ago that I bet no one would be buying diesel cars in 20 years time, and petrol would be gone a few years after that.
I don't think anything has changed.

I'm not a huge fan of electric cars, but think a large 4x4 will suit them well if the charging time or range can get sorted.

I'm not actually a fan of diesel either, had enough diesels and petrols in the same model to realise there is not much in it economy wise to make any real savings cost wise, and you lose that refinement when wafting round and that noise and rev range when pressing on.

Don't get me wrong, with the RR the economy of the TDV8 is as low as I would want to go, and even another 10-15% less with the petrol would start to grate, but I simply don't get those who are buying new who buy the derv? Especially with the supercharged petrol on offer now. The overall saving is around 2-3% going diesel when you do the maths. Porsche 911 (996)
2015 BMW 5 Series Touring
Not got a LR of any kind at the mo, and got itchy feet.

Post #449480 29th Aug 2017 9:00pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

But to get near the punch of a new SDV8, it's going to need to be a 5.0 SC and for someone like me, driving around 3-3,500 miles a month, the fuel cost difference would be enormous (I don't know where the "2-3%" figure came from).

Electricity is the future but, for the briefest of times that V6 and V8 diesels are still with us, I'm going to make the most of them Thumbs Up

Post #449481 29th Aug 2017 9:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>