Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Oil cooler pipes which way round 2003 4.4v8 ZF5HP24A
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
PaulM

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black
Oil cooler pipes which way round 2003 4.4v8 ZF5HP24A

Hi, I'm doing lots and lots of work on this vehicle and one of them is full gearbox service. I'm changing the oil cooler, stat and cooler pipes along with the main radiator as part of the work. It's a job that's took a while as have to keep coming back to it weeks after starting. Now I've fitted the new oil cooler pipes to the gearbox and routed them to the new oil cooler but can't remember which way round they push on. Does it matter, I would imagine it does and don't want to get it wrong and starve the gearbox of oil, is the cooler a one way flow etc?

I've looked online and found two diagrams and both show different sides for them to push into. As you look down into the engine bay, which side does the pipe from the side of the gearbox go into? I would have said the left side but not 100%.

These are the diagrams I have found but show different sides Confused

Click image to enlarge
 2004 RR 4.4 V8 Autobiography

Post #406031 23rd Sep 2016 12:56pm
Rangeyman

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Mine is the same box as yours on a 04 4.4 petrol but the offside pipe at the cooler goes to the nearside of the gearbox which is opposite to the drawing,you may want to double check with someone else just to be sure ,am sure RRphil will know .

Post #406218 24th Sep 2016 9:32pm
PaulM

So your saying that the last diagram is the correct one? That's what i think to, the the one with the gearbox picture is incorrect. 2004 RR 4.4 V8 Autobiography

Post #406320 25th Sep 2016 2:33pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Don't know if this takes you any further forward. http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-r...ooler.html
12th post down. I believe he is referring to the gearbox picture. John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #406322 25th Sep 2016 3:03pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

These two diagrams (from RAVE and Microcat) seem to tie up, at least. The hot oil leaves the transmission from the port on the left hand side of the casing (the pipe with the banjo bolt) and returns to the transmission, after passing through the cooler, through the pipe that screws into the front of the transmission on its right hand side (facing forwards)

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Phil

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #406354 25th Sep 2016 5:50pm
PaulM

Thank you Phil, that's the info I needed to confirm. I have the pipes sat just over the ends ready to push on just needed to double check I was correct before pushing them on.

Fingers crossed once I fill with fresh oil my gearbox is ok. I changed the transfer box motor for a recon unit and it eliminated all the many faults and constant limp mode but I was getting a weird rumble through the whole car around 50 mph every now and then. I'm hoping it was because of cooked fluid and also the wrong fluid/low fluid as previous owner was topping up with dexron lll as it was leaking from the gasket and oil cooler pipe on the side. I also had trans overheat a couple of times and holding in 3rd gear at random times. Also clunked into reverse a few times too. 2004 RR 4.4 V8 Autobiography

Post #406388 25th Sep 2016 9:44pm
DaveK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

Had these pipes off today and can confirm that bottom drawing is correct and first drawing is wrong. Just remember, banjo to the right !

Post #448084 17th Aug 2017 12:10am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1