Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
p38arover

Australia 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

Don't you have the images on your computer? Ron B. VK2OTC
2004 L322 V8 Auto
2007 Yamaha XJR1300
Previous: 1983, 1986 RRC; 1995, 1996 P38A; 1995 Disco1; 1984 V8 County 110; Series IIA

Post #452910 4th Oct 2017 3:25am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Camera is below the G of Range Rover!! Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #452916 4th Oct 2017 7:18am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #452917 4th Oct 2017 7:28am
p38arover

Thanks miggit.

Here's the link to my install - I don't know if the images are visible to non-subscribers to AULRO.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/l322-range-rove...amera.html

I don't know if my camera is rotated in the housing. I'll do some more checks tomorrow.

Ron B. VK2OTC
2004 L322 V8 Auto
2007 Yamaha XJR1300
Previous: 1983, 1986 RRC; 1995, 1996 P38A; 1995 Disco1; 1984 V8 County 110; Series IIA

Post #452941 4th Oct 2017 11:00am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Your camera might not be as wider angle as the one that I used, it was a 170 degree camera.... you might be able to pack the outside edge of the camera / light assy to angle it down a bit more Thumbs Up

Oh, and having read some of your post on the other forum, I will tell you that mounting the camera in the bumper will end in a crash when backing on to a trailer ... Whistle How do I know.. I had a camera mounted in the hole that the towing eye sat in on a Shogun Mk2, the very first trailer that I tried to hitch up to went straight into the bloody camera, D'OH!!, because your almost on the same level as the hitch you get no depth perception, and everything happens rather fast and ends with Big Cry

When the camera is mounted higher looking down on the hitch, the trailer comes gently into view without any drama Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #452972 4th Oct 2017 5:10pm
p38arover

Thanks miggit. I never thought about depth perception with a bumper mount.

My camera is supposed to be 170 degree. I regret packing the mount is not an option.

I'll have a look at it when I get home from EnZed next week. Ron B. VK2OTC
2004 L322 V8 Auto
2007 Yamaha XJR1300

Post #453390 8th Oct 2017 9:11pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

The one I used was 170 x 120 deg.

having looked at your picture again is that not the bumper at the bottom of the screen? It's hard to tell as the quality isn't that good.... Which I will admit was greatly improved by fitting a Ping Pong special all in one headunit, as the resolution is a lot higher that the LR unit. Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #453395 9th Oct 2017 1:34am
p38arover

Yes, that's the bumper.

The video quality is good enough. I probably didn't need the camera. I rarely use the one in our Subaru. Ron B. VK2OTC
2004 L322 V8 Auto
2007 Yamaha XJR1300

Post #453398 9th Oct 2017 5:28am
miggit

United Kingdom 

If you tow it is worth its' weight in gold, with the camera in that position it is very hard to get the car / trailer in the wrong place.... and being aftermarket, I found that the camera worked perfectly, long after the PDC had gone up the pictures... In fact to be honest I never bothered with the reversing sensors after the camera was fitted, I'd rather trust that which I could see, rather than temperamental bleeper!!

As far as the image goes, it is distorted due to the offset nature of the camera, it is a compromise, but it doesn't involve drilling extra holes in the body.... And there are very few factory fit cameras that are centered, I personally can't think of any... But they are there to show what is behind the car, not for making videos for the family and friends, and what do you expect for £30? The Landcruiser has the camera offset... in fact the newer the car the more offset they are... the 100 series has a much less distorted view of the world compared with the later 120 series Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #453577 10th Oct 2017 11:24am
Billaboard

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Baltic Blue

I've just read through the whole thread even though I've got a lot of things to look at on my "new" FFRR before getting to cameras.

I would have thought that the towbar view and general reversing view were quite distinct requirements. So I was thinking of going through this all again when I get round to trying to fit a reversing camera feeding, hopefully, my non-touch analogue-TV screen. I will need something, as our gate and approach is very tight and the Rangie is so wide.

Meanwhile, I'll carry on, when needed for hooking up, doing what I've done for years, which is putting a laptop or tablet on the passenger seat and running a usb extension lead along the gutter to a simple webcam that pokes over the top back of the vehicle. The webcam I use points at right angles to the "gooseneck" it's on the end of. This lets it just stick out as much as necessary and be bent to give he best view.

This has done me well for years on my 110's and the Disco1, but the Rangie doesn't have such good gutters, so it looks as though I'll need more gaffer tape and hope the groove over the rear quarter light is deep enough. I used to juggle our boat and fishing boats around on pretty rough ground, but we have temporarily moved upmarket so there is now less need. Old 110 2.3 Petrol ???? - ????
Old 110 200tdi ???? - 2004
1996 Discovery 300tdi 2004 - 2015 met fiery end being welded
2004 JEEP Grand Cherokee 2015 - 2017
2004 L322 Td6 2017 -

Post #453615 10th Oct 2017 6:06pm
standupking36

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

wish i could see ye pictures to give me a better idea on whats being described, also will it work on a touch screen unit please?
(im clueless)

Post #453636 10th Oct 2017 8:24pm
Billaboard

I should have got round to trying my "hooking up camera", as it doesn't fit anywhere near as well on the FFRR as it did on the Disco or 110. The tailgate slopes too much, so if I set this up I think I'll have to fabricate some extension piece to, perhaps, clip into a roof rail mounting. I've used this technique for years and the camera sticking over the back of the Landie, pointing down on a bendy but stiff gooseneck really is quite quick to rig and easy to use.

I've just tried mocking it up and taken some photos. The light and rain today is terrible, so apologies.

Here's the view from the camera sticking out over the rear roof. I just wheeled a small trailer to behind the car. Amongst the jobs to be done is to replace the removable tow ball with my more industrial one that I've moved from car to car:

and here's the laptop (in tablet mode, but an ordinary laptop works the same) with a pic of the video it would show. I can also use a Windows full tablet that I have and I understand that some Android tablets will work, but I haven't tried.

and this is the gooseneck camera I use. I have a couple of these, but they seem hard to find on ebay now. This one came from, and is badged, Lidl. I have tried a "borescope" camers, usually used for looking down drains etc, but that was hopeless.

Click image to enlarge

All this is really just to show how I hope I'll be able to get a final installation that has a permanent straight reversing camera and an easy to rig temporary hooking up camera using this concept. Old 110 2.3 Petrol ???? - ????
2004 L322 Td6 2017 -

Post #453708 11th Oct 2017 12:06pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

The problem with your setup is, it is looking directly down on the tow hitch, while you will get perfect dept, you're not getting much of the trailer until the last few feet... too late to adjust your direction to line anything up.

I tow trailers for a living, and I can hook up to multiple trailers in a day.... one day it was over 150 trailers Shocked , so trust me when I say I know about reversing cameras and mounting positions... the BMW camera mounted in one of the number plate lamp holes is by far the best option for anyone who tows and it is also a very good place in general.... You get a very good depth of view, and at the same time no real blind spots. With the added bonus that no holes have to be made in the body work, so it is reversible without a trace... although I can't see anyone doing that!!

I have fitted a camera on my classic in the same place, all be it central and also my Mercedes ML, it is by far the best position, below the rear window above the number plate, and with the use of a 170 x 120 degree camera you get a minimum of 40 feet of rear information... in the case of the ffrr you see well beyond that! Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #453721 11th Oct 2017 2:27pm
Billaboard

I will admit to being pretty hopeless at reversing a trailer, and only ever have had 2 or 3 sessions a year with a LR, when moving boats to be launched. (the little trailer in the earlier pic is just a rubbish trailer that goes on the smaller car, where I have some hope of seeing it).

But the setup with the gooseneck webcam has worked pretty well for me with just that and the mirrors. Of course, when a boat's on the trailer you tend to have a pretty big pointy bow looming up. The shape of the back of the FFRR does make it a more difficult proposition than just pushing it and its cable into the external gutter of older LR's.

I do like gooseneck webcams which, in their intended mode, are positioned by just being plugged into a laptop and bent as desired. It seems odd they have become harder to find as they are great for 2-way video discussions where you want to show the other end technical or interesting things rather than just an ugly face.

Miggit, I do like your scheme and will almost certainly try that. Terrible shame about Photobucket stealing all the pictures. Sad

Just for fun here's one of our home-made boat. We hired a van for a road move rather than wear out our late lamented Disco.

Old 110 2.3 Petrol ???? - ????
2004 L322 Td6 2017 -

Post #453865 12th Oct 2017 7:07pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Whistle I never really posted a lot of pictures for the reversing camera as it would have just been repeating everything that had been posted by others.. the only 2 that are possibly different are posted above . However as most threads have been stuffed by Censored photobucket money grabbing Censored 's I realise that there are a few puzzled peeps out there... ask and I will do my best to provide... But please bear in mind that I no longer have an L322... but I can lay my gribby mits on a converted pals car if needed!!

But I think that I can source most pics from the web Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #453924 13th Oct 2017 11:57am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>