Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > 2007MY Headunit replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
deansmith

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Carpathian Grey
2007MY Headunit replacement

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm after some help, please. I realise there's been a thousand of these posts but I can't find anything concrete on upgrading the head unit on 2007MY cars with Logic7. I feel like I'm going around in circles reading 10 page android unit build threads on 2002MY Laughing . I'd very much like to install an Apple CarPlay head unit.

Forgetting the head unit, I suppose my main question is: If I was to use a Connects2 CTKLR05 for the install, is it the only thing that I'll need? Other install threads for the L322.1 suggest I'd need to wire into the boot (which is, by some miracle bone dry) and it all sounds overly complicated (aka: JLR) but I'm not sure if I'll need to or not?

Failing this, because if it's too costly I'd rather spend the money on proper maintenance: I've read it's possible to upgrade the Bluetooth module to allow phonebook download and eliminate having to pair the phone on entry etc. If so, what, who and how?

TIA!

Picture of the rear for reference (posted upside down to make it easier for you all Whistle :

Post #455163 24th Oct 2017 4:39pm
Bodsy

United Kingdom 

I provide a BT swap out module but only if yours currently works ok (phonebook feature notwithstanding)
The update gives you phonebook and more reliable (re-)connection.

Post #455165 24th Oct 2017 4:51pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i havnt heard of the head unit on the MOST system being replaced Dean.

if you take the HU out of the fibre 'circuit' then the whole system fails...

here's a pic of the MOST layout taken from the denso manual [from wiki http://www.fullfatrr.com/gallery/albums/us...ation.pdf]

... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #455169 24th Oct 2017 6:10pm
deansmith

Hey Stan,

Perhaps I’ve used the wrong terminology? Or is it genuinely not possible to replace the touchscreen unit on 2007MY+?

Apologies, I’m a total novice at ICE.

Post #455187 24th Oct 2017 7:32pm
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

dont think it is Dean, unless the replacement HU can take the MOST signals and interpret them... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #455200 24th Oct 2017 8:06pm
deansmith

Ah, that’s a bit of a stumbling block. So the Connects2, designated for 05-09 FF won’t work then?

Is this why people have moved the head unit to the glovebox?

Post #455202 24th Oct 2017 8:12pm
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

the earlier FF's used a canbus system so an android replacement HU can be fitted with the old one going into the glovebox so that you retain the date/settings..

the one you have specified can accommodate an optic cable so tbh i dont know... i would give the dealer a ring and get some more info.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #455206 24th Oct 2017 8:25pm
deansmith

Excellent, thanks for the explanation Stan, very useful! I'l give Connects2 a bell tomorrow and ask for some advice.

Post #455208 24th Oct 2017 8:36pm
Blair

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

any update on this? I'm following with interest, as (if I keep mine) I'd love to replace the rather dated touchscreen unit, and add some extra features.

Post #457236 14th Nov 2017 10:55am
gizze

United Kingdom 

What you have to remember is the only thing on the MOST rings in cars is the infotainment, you can take any of those pieces out and the rest will work, as long as you join the in/out MOST cable back to keep the loop.
Now obviously, taking out Bluetooth or TMC etc. just means you lose those items, which you can live with, taing out the display makes it tricky to control everything. Wink

But in this case you don't really need to control anything as you will fit a new head unit.

The Alpine Freestyle units look a good bet imho, with a bit of 3D printing for the fascia they will look very OEM.

You will of course lose the ability to set the clock, not really a problem as you could just install a green digital one in its place and no one would ever know, plus many of those have a volt meter too, which on a RR is a godsend! Haha
And of course you will lose the 4x4 Info screen, but in all honesty the controls themselves tells you all you need to know really.

The connects2 MOST adapter will do what you want it to do, however, what I can't work out is what does the amp see in regards to channels?
By that I mean the adapter has a stereo phono output, so you will get output from the main L/R channels of the head unit, I then presume the converter sends out a full signal to all the channel on the factory amp. This means you have no control over channels and trim levels as you would with the OEM head unit.

Personally I think the best bet would be to take it all out, add a small 4 channel amp and use the existing wiring that runs from the factory amp to the speakers and run a phono cable from the new head unit to the amp.

You could then ditch all that crap in the boot and have a really nice OEM looking system that is bang up to date.

Has anyone got the wiring diagram for the factory stereo? So we can see what pins are what on the OEM connectors? Porsche 911 (996)
2015 BMW 5 Series Touring
Not got a LR of any kind at the mo, and got itchy feet.

Post #460422 11th Dec 2017 8:46pm
gizze

United Kingdom 

I know this is a BMW, but you see if this was filling the OEM screen area with the backlight and screen colour set to green it would look very oem....

Porsche 911 (996)

Post #460423 11th Dec 2017 8:48pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Having looked at that connection adapter, it would appear that it will enable you to fit an Android type unit to the later Most system.... But how badly do you want one.. the adapter is over £300 and a head unit is around that too, that makes it a rather expensive conversion Rolling Eyes

And it doesn't say if the connector converts the sound, so you might have wire to the boot! Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #460428 11th Dec 2017 9:01pm
gizze

United Kingdom 

That is not for android, that is for any system, hence why it appeals.

It does convert audio. Porsche 911 (996)

Post #460436 11th Dec 2017 9:44pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Yes I realise that it is for any system, but most folks want to upgrade, not down! Most head units are a step down from the ffrr std equipment.... Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #460439 11th Dec 2017 10:00pm
gizze

United Kingdom 

In what way?

The FF is probably the worst system I have had in a car for years, it wasn't great in 2007, 10 years later it is seriously behind.

The nav system is poor, the GUI looked very dated a decade ago, there is no DAB, the bluetooth doesn't even let you have more than one phone hooked up, there is no audio streaming, no way to even browse your music, either you iPhone, Tidal, Spotify etc.

There is no internet or even data sharing so no Real Time Traffic Info available.

I will say that the sound quality is quite good, but with modern system with parametric EQ and Time Alignment it could be so much better.

I would never fit an Android system, that IMHO is a step backwards, but compared to the systems I have had in the BMWs, which is what I know, even dating back from 2003, not even looking at the NBT5 system that they have used for the last couple of years, the RR system while OK at what it does, doesn't actually do much, certainly not much of the things that make life behind the wheel a lot easier and nicer. Porsche 911 (996)

Post #460441 11th Dec 2017 10:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>