Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > m62 and semi synthetic oil
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Danwilderspin

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver
m62 and semi synthetic oil

Hi All,

I live in the uk and am about to do an oil service. car has 150k 4.4 m62 and wondered if 10w40 semi synthetic would do the trick. its a little noisy or should I go with something else? Current stable:
2006 BMW M6
2007 4.2 V8 S/C FF
Gone:
2002 4.4 V8 FF

Post #455167 24th Oct 2017 6:22pm
holidaychicken

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

That's a very big question as you probably know from searching the net.
It depends what's causing your noise and regardless of that, oil might not make much difference.
I have read where 0w-30 or 40 has made an engine quieter and much noisier and have also read about people running 20W-50 to get a quieter engine and there are also non vanos versions of the M62 if you want to confuse things further.
I had shell helix ultra 5w-40 in mine for a while and I currently have a cheap 5w-30 fully synthetic and even after replacing timing chain guides and vanos seals I still get occasional start up rattle and mine taps for a while until the oil warms up but is then quiet where vanos priblems normally rattle on start up then go quiet and then tap when fully warmed up.

Mobil site recommends 10W-50 I think for higher mileage vehicles but then the Castrol oil recommendation page goes back to 0w-40 I think it is.
Most oil manufacturers have an online app where you put in your registration number, have a play and see what you get.
As mine taps when cold I'm thinking thinner oil next time but if it's a lazy hydraulic follower I'm thinking a thicker oil may not drain back.
I have been no use to you or me really.
Bob the oil guy site has a tonne of information and I'm not sure whether semi synthetic or fully makes a lot of difference but maybe to the time between oil changes.
You go thicker and I'll go thinner and share results Smile
Either way I would use a genuine filter and make sure the tower inside the oil filter housing is present and the drain back valve is working

Post #455174 24th Oct 2017 7:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1