Home > Technical (L322) > 2006 4.2 SC Intake Valve query
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Shedlock2000

Canada 
2006 4.2 SC Intake Valve query

Hi all,

I’m looking at a 2006 SC. She’s a bit rough around the edges, but the interior seems reasonable and is priced accordigly. She needs two from air bags and the rear spindle bearings, and a bit of spray work, but is otherwise up together.

However, the Indy shop that looks after her has told me that some early 4.2 SC engines suffer from an intake valve issue that sounds, a bit, like a leaking hydraulic tappet and ticks for the first 30seconds after a cold start. They say this is caused by slight play on the intake valve seats and it goes away when the oil gets up there to take up that space. Apparently, the vehicle throws a code every time you start it from cold.

Now I’ve looked for this issue on the internet and I can’t find anything about it anywhere! Is it a real issue or not? Vehicle has 220,000km and has done it since the guy bought it 560,000km ago.

Would you shy away from the vehicle because of this? Price is $6500 and supercharged FFRR are hard to find up here. The next available one is the same year and priced at $15k

Thoughts please? “The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.”

Post #456943 11th Nov 2017 7:59pm
kezbo1981

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Mine ticks for the first 30 seconds or so on a cold start. Sounds a bit like someone hitting a triangle once every 1 or 2 secons - not quick enough to be a valve. Been meaning to look into it, but never have. The only symptom I have is the sound, not rough running or codes. This may or may not be the issue you describe.

Post #457002 12th Nov 2017 10:37am
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

I'd be wanting to find out what the error is first and foremost.

The 4.2 is generally regarded as being pretty robust so should be able to do that mileage and more, but the error is what gives you an insight into potential problems. V8 or else ...

Post #457070 12th Nov 2017 8:27pm
Shedlock2000

Canada 

Well,there were 18 codes. Missfires from all cylinders, lean codes, and so forth. However, these were historical. When I cleared codes and fired her up, there was a missfire from all cylinders in first 1000 revolutions and a persistent misfire from cylinder 7. There were also lean codes from banks on and 2, but I put this down more to O2 sensors than anything else.

Buddy had done a test drive in the rangy earlier that day, so I couldn't hear the start up tick, but I recorded another knock too. hear it here: &feature=youtu.be This knock disappeared completely when the vehicle reached temperature. “The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.”

Post #457108 13th Nov 2017 6:46am
Danwilderspin

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Hi all sorry to dredge this up - I have exactly that same noise(rattle kind of think on the video) but no where near as frequent and only at idle - anyone any idea what it actually is? Current stable:
2006 BMW M6
2007 4.2 V8 S/C FF
Gone:
2002 4.4 V8 FF

Post #533086 3rd Nov 2019 11:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1