Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > 6k Service Intervals - something wrong?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JamesD

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey
6k Service Intervals - something wrong?

My car is has just come up to 18 months old and clocked 24k miles. The service indicator has flashed up and said it's due, this will have been it's 4th oil service from new.

1) 6k Miles due to oil contamination message (was told my DPF cycle had not completed properly)
2) 13k Miles 1st service (1yr old)
3) 18k Miles oil service due to indicator
4) 24k Miles now recommending another service

So on average I am only making it 6k miles between services. Now the car does a mixture of journeys, in the week the school runs and short distance but interspersed with some long journeys at weekends. Since the oil change was done at 18k back in July the car has mostly done long journeys, I am amazed that 16k has now turned to 6k!!

Anyone else experiences this, do I have an underlying issue with oil contamination do we think? I will be putting the car into the dealers when I am back from business in a week to check.

JD 2016 L405 Vogue 3.0TDV6

Post #456072 4th Nov 2017 7:10am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Sounds like it may be a faulty (over sensitive) oil sensor

Post #456077 4th Nov 2017 8:08am
peanutbob

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV6 Santorini Black

I have a similar situation in that at 7k miles a notification appeared to say service due in 500 miles. Spoke to the dealer who said that is too early, but bring the car in and weíll take a look. So, itís booked in on the 14th. Time wise itís not due until March 2018
However, my two previous RRS 2 vehicles couldnt get past 9k without a service, so Iím assuming similar ref this.

Post #456168 4th Nov 2017 7:14pm
JamesD

I actually prefer to change the oil more frequently than 16k miles (especially for a car I plan to run for 5-6yrs), in my book that's just good practice. My concern is that the services are being called because of oil contamination (e.g. diesel), in which case any thinning of the oil could lead to premature engine wear. As I cant imagine LR really want their owners servicing cars every 6k miles (not great PR) I am concerned how bad the oil needs to be to trigger a service message. 2016 L405 Vogue 3.0TDV6

Post #456191 5th Nov 2017 6:47am
rar110

Australia 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

I think reduced maintenance cost as a marketing feature ie saving £400 a year, is amusing for a car when the purchase cost is over £100,000. ______________________________
Vogue tdv8 08MY poverty pack - wow

Post #456283 5th Nov 2017 8:15pm
peanutbob

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV6 Santorini Black

Back from the dealer today. Vehicle didnít need an oil change, so they altered the software on the service module and said oil dilution rate was 6.1.
Loan car was a Disco Sport HSE which was really perky with surprising amount of interior space. Quite enjoyed it!

Post #457291 14th Nov 2017 5:42pm
JamesD

I spoke with the master tech the other day. He said due to these Euro6 engines they are having issues with DPF regeneration cycles not completing during short trips. Was happens is extra diesel is injected on the exhaust cycle to try and burn off the DPF, if the engine is shutdown mid-cycle then the diesel leaks down past the piston and into the sump. The oil sensor is set to trigger at about 6-7% dilution...which for me is every 6k miles. Can't say I am happy about it, I do 16k a year so not a small amount of mileage but the wife uses the car during the week for short runs (school and dog walks), at this rate I am having the car serviced every 4 months! 2016 L405 Vogue 3.0TDV6

Post #457462 16th Nov 2017 8:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1