Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > 6k Service Intervals - something wrong?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
JamesD

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey
6k Service Intervals - something wrong?

My car is has just come up to 18 months old and clocked 24k miles. The service indicator has flashed up and said it's due, this will have been it's 4th oil service from new.

1) 6k Miles due to oil contamination message (was told my DPF cycle had not completed properly)
2) 13k Miles 1st service (1yr old)
3) 18k Miles oil service due to indicator
4) 24k Miles now recommending another service

So on average I am only making it 6k miles between services. Now the car does a mixture of journeys, in the week the school runs and short distance but interspersed with some long journeys at weekends. Since the oil change was done at 18k back in July the car has mostly done long journeys, I am amazed that 16k has now turned to 6k!!

Anyone else experiences this, do I have an underlying issue with oil contamination do we think? I will be putting the car into the dealers when I am back from business in a week to check.

JD 2021 L405 Vogue D300
2016 L405 Vogue 3.0TDV6 (Sold)

Post #456072 4th Nov 2017 7:10am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Sounds like it may be a faulty (over sensitive) oil sensor

Post #456077 4th Nov 2017 8:08am
peanutbob

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I have a similar situation in that at 7k miles a notification appeared to say service due in 500 miles. Spoke to the dealer who said that is too early, but bring the car in and we’ll take a look. So, it’s booked in on the 14th. Time wise it’s not due until March 2018
However, my two previous RRS 2 vehicles couldnt get past 9k without a service, so I’m assuming similar ref this.

Post #456168 4th Nov 2017 7:14pm
JamesD

I actually prefer to change the oil more frequently than 16k miles (especially for a car I plan to run for 5-6yrs), in my book that's just good practice. My concern is that the services are being called because of oil contamination (e.g. diesel), in which case any thinning of the oil could lead to premature engine wear. As I cant imagine LR really want their owners servicing cars every 6k miles (not great PR) I am concerned how bad the oil needs to be to trigger a service message. 2021 L405 Vogue D300

Post #456191 5th Nov 2017 6:47am
rar110

Australia 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

I think reduced maintenance cost as a marketing feature ie saving £400 a year, is amusing for a car when the purchase cost is over £100,000. ______________________________
Vogue tdv8 08MY poverty pack - wow

Post #456283 5th Nov 2017 8:15pm
peanutbob

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Back from the dealer today. Vehicle didn’t need an oil change, so they altered the software on the service module and said oil dilution rate was 6.1.
Loan car was a Disco Sport HSE which was really perky with surprising amount of interior space. Quite enjoyed it!

Post #457291 14th Nov 2017 5:42pm
JamesD

I spoke with the master tech the other day. He said due to these Euro6 engines they are having issues with DPF regeneration cycles not completing during short trips. Was happens is extra diesel is injected on the exhaust cycle to try and burn off the DPF, if the engine is shutdown mid-cycle then the diesel leaks down past the piston and into the sump. The oil sensor is set to trigger at about 6-7% dilution...which for me is every 6k miles. Can't say I am happy about it, I do 16k a year so not a small amount of mileage but the wife uses the car during the week for short runs (school and dog walks), at this rate I am having the car serviced every 4 months! 2021 L405 Vogue D300

Post #457462 16th Nov 2017 8:54am
ADI

England 2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Fuji White

Oil service required message this morning on Incontrol App and the service menu in the car.

Have only done 2100 miles since last service when they also changed the oil and filter. Ok that was in late August so 6 months ago. Mixture of short and 50 mile motorway journeys.

Thing is I do check the service menu in the car every two weeks and the miles to next oil service last time was 12000 miles and Adblue 15000 miles.

Now reads oil 0 miles Adblue 14800 miles.

Booked in later this week for investigation - could be faulty sensor or oil has hit the dilution point.

Will update.... BMW X3 30e XDrive M Sport
GoneBMW 330e
Gone MY2016 RR Vogue Fuji White SDV8 with a few extras...
Gone MY2016 Discovery Sport HSE

Post #503036 28th Jan 2019 12:29pm
martinf

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

My L405 is a 2016 MY and is Euro 6.
In its first three years of life it was serviced annually after the following mileages. 15700, 11200, and 12500.
But at its service at the end of year 3 the software was updated and it now says a service is needed after 4 months and 4800 miles since the last service. I suspect that the software update has caused this issue, otherwise why did it behave as expected previously? It seems like a problem has been created where none previously existed.

Post #503039 28th Jan 2019 12:57pm
ADI

Update

Oil Dilution - new filter and oil changed foc.

Service counter reset now reads 16050 miles to service.

Will continue with two weekly checks against actual mileage. BMW X3 30e XDrive M Sport
GoneBMW 330e

Post #503578 1st Feb 2019 1:26pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

At the dealer yesterday I was told they were starting to see turbos fail due to lack of lubrication from oil with excess diesel in it, caused as described by JamesD, so don't skimp on servicing if you get this from doing too many short runs... Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #503580 1st Feb 2019 2:05pm
ADI

Thumbs Up

As said I will be monitoring closely and take the miles to service as an "indication" only since I lost 12000 miles in two weeks. I will be undertaking some long journeys in the next few weeks for passive regeneration to take place but cannot avoid some daily 5 mile trips. If the car calls for a regeneration during these shorter trips when the system is not hot enough then an active regen can/will occur....

From Topix:

Active regeneration of the DPF is commenced when the temperature of the DPF is increased to the combustion temperature of the particles. The DPF temperature is raised by increasing the exhaust gas temperature. This is achieved by introducing post-injection of fuel after the pilot and main fuel injections have occurred.

Engine oil dilution can occur due to small amounts of fuel entering the engine crankcase during the post-injection phases. This has made it necessary to introduce a calculation based on driving style to reduce oil service intervals if necessary.

The driver is alerted to the oil service by a message in the instrument cluster. (and In Control App)

The DPF software monitors the driving style and the frequency of the active regeneration and duration. Using this information a calculation can be made on the engine oil dilution. When the DPF software calculates the engine oil dilution has reached a predetermined threshold (fuel being 7% ?? of engine oil volume) a service message is displayed in the IC.

Depending on driving style, some vehicles may require an oil service before the designated interval..... BMW X3 30e XDrive M Sport
GoneBMW 330e

Post #503621 1st Feb 2019 10:59pm
Q86ARR

2015 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Havana

peanutbob wrote:
Back from the dealer today. Vehicle didn�t need an oil change, so they altered the software on the service module and said oil dilution rate was 6.1.
Loan car was a Disco Sport HSE which was really perky with surprising amount of interior space. Quite enjoyed it!

6.1% Oil Dilution is the threshold to bring the service light on. Sounds like you do need a oil & filter change!
Depending on warranty start date this could be covered under goodwill

Post #503743 2nd Feb 2019 9:09pm
Montys 4x4

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Carpathian Grey

Please have a look at my posts reference oil dilution and early oil service frequencies. There is a software fix JLR have available for the 3.0 TDV6 and shame on the dealership you approached and their inability to approach JLR with your issues. Have a look at my post (link below).

Regards

Paul

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic48163.html

Journey started in a LR2B at 16 and has incl. just about every Land Rover, Disco, RRS and Range Rover Vehicle owned or driven, I even worked for the company when it was owned by BAe - It must be a madness!!! because to add to my 4.4 TDV8 Westminister In Baltic Blue I bought a second L322 as a commuter bus, TD6 2004 Vogue in Oslo Blue with cream leather now both gone replaced with what could turn out to be my biggest mistake. Carpathian Grey ivory interior 3.0 tdv6 Autobiog. 2017

Post #503918 4th Feb 2019 2:11pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

Q86ARR wrote:
peanutbob wrote:
Back from the dealer today. Vehicle didn�t need an oil change, so they altered the software on the service module and said oil dilution rate was 6.1.

6.1% Oil Dilution is the threshold to bring the service light on. Sounds like you do need a oil & filter change!
Depending on warranty start date this could be covered under goodwill

Unless they have actually had the condition of the oil analysed they have absolutely no way of knowing the dilution level of the oil. They are simply relying on software on the car that is using an algorithm to determine the oil dilution level based on the number of successful and non successful dpf regenerations. IMO you might as well smell the oil to see how dilute it is.
All the dealers seem to do is tweak the software now and again to try and make the situation seem better. Until the oil is regularly analysed nothing will change.
What happens to the engines if indeed the oil dilution is actually excessive but the software doesn't indicate it?

Would I buy a diesel car with a dpf.... not on your life.

Interestingly it is not only LR who is having such problems.

Post #503920 4th Feb 2019 2:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>