Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Testing speed sensors.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Chasazim

Australia 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Epsom Green
Testing speed sensors.

Hello again, still having problems with suspension, Patrick at Gap helped me through elimination of possible causes, now i am checking wiring and sensors befor looking at the ECU.
I removed sensors and cleaned them,(not very dirty and not stuck in the hub) all well,so with them on the bench i check them using a multitester with diode testing ability, here comes the good part, all 4 show no resistance so are they us? What are the chances, so i went out and bought another multitester just in case,. No luck, but when i refit them i have speedo ,and sometimes cruise control, checking from the plug on the ABS ECU, they are all Censored or am i doing something wrong? Shocked please help. Big Cry

Post #457898 20th Nov 2017 4:11am
Joe90

England 

Some youtubes links

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_que...eed+sensor

You should be getting resistance back on the sensors if they are OK, so seems odd that all four are not giving a reading??

Also check the toothed rings on the halfshafts for dirt, corrosion or deterioration.

Ensure that the sensors are as close as possible to the rings without touching when fitted. .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #457906 20th Nov 2017 10:10am
Chasazim

Thanks for the information Joe, i have watched several of those videos to make sure i was on the right track, i first tried to check the sensors through the main plug on the ABS ECU and then i tried each sensor to eliminate the possibility of a damaged or broken wire, so i will get a known good sensor and see what is what.cheers.

Post #457915 20th Nov 2017 12:07pm
Chasazim

Well i am back again Cool the problem persists, when checking the sensors i get conflicting results, having watched several tutorials on how to test the sensors i removed them and set about testing, the results were all fail Shocked so i went out and bought another tester. No difference,
When i fault check with my iid tool i get right rear open circuit , the wiring looks good. So i bought another new rear sensor to check if my testing is correct, new sensor failed so now i am even deeper in the dark Confused
On the videos i watched the tester showed a number as the resistance, with my testing, with the positive and neg.on one way i get a 1 reading, reverse polarity and i get a 1 but with a brief flash of a four digit number, and each time it is different
I am beginning to fear it is the ECU and instead of throwing money away i better save up for a new one Big Cry
Is it possible to have it repaired? And does anyone have any recomendation. Thanks for your help.

Post #458987 30th Nov 2017 4:25am
alfapat

Scotland 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Hi did you ever resolve the problem , you had measuring the resistances .
I have just fitted 3 new sensors .The forth showed open circuit compared to the other two I tested which had a resistance, I have taken it back to L/r , now thinking did I try swapping polarities to check . Would be interested to know how you got on , I know it was some time ago , perhaps someone can help me here . L/R haven’t got back to me yet, well the dealer hasn’t.

Post #489815 24th Sep 2018 12:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1