Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > Reversing camera replacement...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Knightmare

England 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Barolo Black
Reversing camera replacement...

Hi All,

I know the subject of reversing camera repair has been covered before, and yes I've heard all the parking jokes, but I wonder if someone might point me in the right direction before I totally Censored up the electronics in the old girl.

After a quick inspection, it looks like my camera has been well and truly bodged previously…loads of solder, extension wires of varying colour/thickness and a few scorch marks on the circuit board. So my options are a new like for like camera, or an alternative as so many of you seem to have opted for. I’ve ordered what seems to be the model of choice from that well known auction site, (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Night-Vision-Waterproof-Car-Auto-Rear-View-Camera-Reversing-Reverse-CMOS-170/141918317810?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2748.l2649)

But, obviously the connections are somewhat different. Before I go cutting and snipping, could someone point out what old/original wire goes to what new wire please? Confused

I have:
Red, Black, White and Grey.

I guess soldering is the best method to join?

The photos below show what I’ve got to play with. Apologies if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find the 'idiots guide' I so desperately need. Thanks in advance as always.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Life is what happens while you�re making other plans.

Post #455698 30th Oct 2017 12:36pm
Knightmare

Ok, so limited success in terms of swapping the camera. I now have a picture, however it looks suspiciously like an NTSC/PAL issue now. See below:

Now I managed to access the hidden diagnostics menu to run a test on the video input, and hey presto...when I click on the PAL button I get this:

And then this:

Only problem now is getting it to stay like this. Every time you exit the menu it resets. Big Cry
Anyone know how to get around this, or do I need to get back onto the camera supplier and get another one?

Thanks in advance as always. Life is what happens while you�re making other plans.

Post #457626 17th Nov 2017 4:21pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

I just used one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-BMW1-3-5-6-...0505.m3226

When I installed mine they were nearly all NTSC, as that is the BMW standard, since the advent of Android systems there have been a lot of PAL cameras in the same housing, but if you hunt around NTSC can still be found!

And as this replaces one of the number plate lamps you get a view of the bumper (just) and tow bar if fitted!! Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #458010 21st Nov 2017 12:14am
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

When I fitted one to the TD6 (MY 2005) I initially got a PAL/NTSC camera. It didn't work and I had to get an NTSC only camera. It looks as if you may be having the same problem. John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #458032 21st Nov 2017 8:49am
miggit

United Kingdom 

I know that you can change the camera input on the early non-touch screen cars with NavCoder (NTSC to PAL) I wonder if something like the IID Tool might not be able to do the same on the touch screen system?.... I never looked as I had NavCoder! Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #458035 21st Nov 2017 9:03am
Knightmare

Thanks guys. Very frustrating as the seller of the after market camera states it is an NTSC camera. But maybe mine is the exception to the rule and needs a PAL camera...makes sense when looking at the video input diagnostic menu. Just annoying that even though the system will quite happily display both options when in diagnostic mode, you can't set it.

Think I'll just order another PAL camera and try that as I want to keep the same housing...although I appreciate the point you are making Miggit. Life is what happens while you�re making other plans.

Post #458051 21st Nov 2017 10:17am
miggit

United Kingdom 

You shouldn't have any trouble getting a PAL camera cheaply to try! the main bulk on the market are PAL, the difficulty is finding NTSC!

Whistle I'd wager that your wrong camera has a premium price on the resale market Whistle Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #458065 21st Nov 2017 12:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1