Home > Technical (L322) > 2003 FF HSE TD6 ,which BMW diesel engine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
wack61

United Kingdom 
2003 FF HSE TD6 ,which BMW diesel engine

Hi all, new owner

I've been looking for a cheap RR for a few weeks , I know, I know, buy the best example but I'm all about bottom of the market bargains.

I've bought a 2003 FF HSE, it's a running driving car with MOT until April, no advisories at all on any MOT, seller is a really nice guy who's even arranged delivery the 60 miles to my mechanic.

recon gearbox last year, front suspension and brakes this year, changes gear smoothly, everything works apart from the electric adjustment on the steering wheel, one rust spot on a wheel arch and a scuff on the front wing from a suicidal duck

Now the problem, it's got low compression on one cylinder, mechanic won't see it until Saturday , seller had it diagnosed and they thought piston rings.

I've been looking at BMW engines on ebay as he says the engine will have to come out anyway if it needs a piston and rings so it might be cheaper just to swap it

the problem is BMW 3.0 engines vary from £100 to £3500 with different engine numbers , most of the ones that look from sellers with good feedback seem to be in the £300-500 band so which one would be compatible, this one looks promising as it's only 50 miles away so I could collect it and it has some spare parts on rather than a bare engine

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-5-E39-3-E46...SwXxhZ6f4c

Last edited by wack61 on 23rd Nov 2017 10:56am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #458282 23rd Nov 2017 8:30am
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Welcome to the forum. Just a small point, your header says TDV6. The M57 is a straight 6. So as not to cause possible confusion as there is a later TDV6 3.0 litre.

As far as changing the engine is concerned I would want to have an idea of the condition, mileage etc of any proposed transplant. It is worth remembering you get what you pay for in looking at prices. John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #458286 23rd Nov 2017 9:11am
wack61

United Kingdom 

Thanks for that, it's definitely not a V6

Mechanic suggested looking for a running car thats been rammed or has a gearbox problem but time is a factor as i don't want it sat around for weeks, seems to be a buyers market though, dozens on ebay

Post #458299 23rd Nov 2017 9:56am
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

Your engine, if diesel, is a bmw m57, 3litre, TD6. Thumbs Up

Post #458306 23rd Nov 2017 10:48am
wack61

United Kingdom 

It's a diesel , so it's just the m57 part that's important as there seem to be variations of numbers after M57, thanks

Post #458307 23rd Nov 2017 10:55am
miggit

United Kingdom 

It's a BMW M57D30 used in the E38, E39, E46 and E53, although there are different outputs and the Range Rover uses the least powerful version. So there may be differences with injectors, camshafts and turbos, but they should all be interchangeable with your engine!

Wikipedia has a list of applications for the M57 engine! Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #458318 23rd Nov 2017 1:12pm
wack61

United Kingdom 

Thanks I'll look that up Thumbs Up

Post #458320 23rd Nov 2017 1:55pm
wack61

United Kingdom 

Car arrived at the garage today so the work can begin

I've found an engine out of an X5 which has this sticker on , the sump may be different as it has a hole in for a driveshaft according to the seller the engine code is M57 306D1 , I can't find that number in that Wikipedia article , anyone know if that's the correct engine

Post #458510 25th Nov 2017 3:56pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

From what I can make out it's the same bore and stroke as the Range Rover, so I'd imagine that the block is the same, but it does have a slightly higher output (5Kw) I'd expect that to be just ECU difference, but there is a chance that the cams could be different (although highly unlikely as it's from an X5, which is BMW's Range Rover) The chances are the sump is the same, as the X5 has a lot in common with the L322.

The only real advice is don't dispose of the old engine until the new is fitted and running, as there might be different brackets etc.

And if you ahead with it post the result, as I'd imagine that there will be others in need of a replacement engine!! Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #458544 25th Nov 2017 11:30pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

+1 for what Miggit says. I’m no expert but I think the X5 had the swirl flaps in the intake manifold and did not have baffles in the sump to stop oil starvation at extreme angles like the Rangie has. Just from reading....... have a check....

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #458548 26th Nov 2017 8:19am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Shocked Forgot about Swirl flaps, thought they were a Mercedes curse... I'd forgotten that BMW tried to share the pain.. So the first thing to do is swap inlet manifolds and do away with the Censored Swirl Flaps Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #458553 26th Nov 2017 9:15am
wack61

United Kingdom 

Thanks very much , I bought it anyway , at £200 it would be rude not to Very Happy

If it is just ecu difference would a remap sort that out anyway

The guy in the link above isn't you're usual scrap yard dealer with an angle grinder , every plug and pipe was disconnected correctly apart from one water pipe which looked like it didn't want to come off

Post #458557 26th Nov 2017 9:46am
miggit

United Kingdom 

You shouldn't need to re-map the ECU as the engine will end up running the LR map, which I assume will give the maximum low end grunt.... although that is up for debate, as there is a strong suspicion that BMW just wanted to ensure that the Range Rover didn't perform as well as the X5.

The best thing to do is sit the 2 engines side by side and just compare them, any differences will be apparent... as I said change the inlet manifolds, as you really don't want swirl flaps, and the Range Rover ECU wont run them, that is assuming that the swirl flaps are in the inlet, they could be in the head, I honestly don't know, just assuming that it'll be similar to the Mercedes setup. A bit of research on BMW swirl flap removal / delete is needed!! Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #458572 26th Nov 2017 12:01pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Just had a smurf, and they are in the inlet manifold, so swap it for the Range Rover one and problem solved Thumbs Up

Just one note, the BMW setup is vacuum controlled so you might have to swap over the vacuum lines from the LR engine. Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #458574 26th Nov 2017 12:11pm
wack61

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the all the advice,it's much appreciated , I bought a Maserati a couple of years ago and found a lot of very helpful people via sportsmaserati , as a new poster on here i'm getting the same vibe.

The biggest problem is going to be it's not even running yet and I'm looking at upgrades on ebay Very Happy

Post #458589 26th Nov 2017 3:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>