Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > MY16 or MY17?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Robwheeler

United Kingdom 
MY16 or MY17?

Hi to all. I've just joined up to the forum after lurking for a month or so and I hope you can give me some advice. I'm looking to purchase a 4.4 Autobiography before the end of January, either a MY16 or MY17. I'd like to know whether the new Incontrol pro system on the MY17 cars is worth it over the previous system. I've read as much as I can on the forum and know there have been problems with the newer system, along with several rejections because of it. I can't seem to find out whether as of November 2017 the software has been fixed to an acceptable standard yet by JLR or if it is still full of crashes and bugs. Obviously, the 2016 plate cars are about 8-10k cheaper, so if the system is only slightly better but still pretty much rubbish, it's not worth it. If I take a MY17 car out for a test drive, is there anything I should be trying to provoke it into crashing or failing or is it pretty much random? Apart from the ICE, are there any other improvements on the MY17s?

Secondly, does anyone have any tips for getting the best discount off an approved used car? I assume they're working on about a 10k margin on them, however I was thinking that as we get towards Christmas they might be under a bit more pressure to shift stock.

Finally, is anyone trading in their MY17 for a MY18 and, if so, how much are they offering you for it p/x?

Thanks in advance for your replies!
Rob

Post #458293 23rd Nov 2017 10:41am
stillrunning

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

my experience out of the two would be MY16.
The problems i had with MY17 with the infotainment system crashing, I sent mine back to the dealer and i await the delivery of the MY18 and i have everything crossed and even gone to church to pray they have sorted issues out.
Steve Very Happy

Post #458313 23rd Nov 2017 1:06pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

I’ve owned a 17MY Autobiography since 30/9/17 and have driven 4,752 miles in it so far.

I’ve briefly lost Bluetooth 2 or 3 times and the screen has hung once, all 3 or 4 of which have been cured by a reboot (park up, lock and leave for 5 or 10 minutes). To keep things in perspective, by my reckoning, that makes it at least 3 times as stable as any version of Windows that I’ve ever used! Laughing

I’ll give the next software version a try when it’s released, but it’s certainly not come close to spoiling my enjoyment of the car Thumbs Up

PS: From Cornwall I see Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Last edited by Red Merle on 23rd Nov 2017 2:24pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #458315 23rd Nov 2017 1:16pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

the trouble with infotainment electronics nowadays Rob is that as soon as its fitted into any vehicle i becomes out of date..
you'll buy the latest tech and next week a new system comes out.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #458317 23rd Nov 2017 2:09pm
Singh911

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

I went through this a few months ago - went for a 2016 car with the previous generation infotainment system - done 9k miles now including a great trip down to the Alps. Hasn't put a foot wrong.

HTH Current
5.0 S/C 2010 Autobiography
458 Spider
996 GT3 mk1
GR Yaris
W124 E320 estate

Previous
VSE MY2016 3.0tdv6 - stolen January 2024
F10 M5
Cayenne S
X5

Post #458354 23rd Nov 2017 8:21pm
adamfawsitt

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

I have a late Sept 4.4 AB MY17 car. Lots of issues with infotainment crashing. Dealer updated all modules to latest software over 2 days and car has been flawless since.

I am selling in Jan as I have a MY18 coming should you be interested (the car will have 5k mikes by then): https://rules.config.landrover.com/jdxl/en...ayoff.html

Post #458381 24th Nov 2017 12:02am
Fat Wolfie

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I’d probably go for the 2016 MY.

I ended up (in effect) rejecting my 2017 my car after repeated trips to the dealer to have the infotainment unit fixed - they even replaced the unit at one stage but different problems started at that point.

The car was an early MY 2017 (dealer registered it in December 2016) so later ones might be better.

But in the longer term, the 2017 unit was only fitted for one year, so if you’re thinking of longer term ownership I’m not sure how well supported the 2017 infotainment software will be in the long run.

Rest of the car was superb...

2018 on order, but I can’t say what I got in PX on the 2017 as it was an unusual sort of deal.

Post #458400 24th Nov 2017 10:08am
WillyT

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Carpathian Grey

As Red Merle says - similar experience and have now done 8250 miles mostly long distance driving with the 17my. Superb car, couple of minor software burps haven't distracted from the experience.

To put in perspective, had a 2016 for 5 months and put 9000 miles on it. Couple of minor hiccups on that as well. Nothing that a quick stop, lock, unlock and drive away didn't cure.

Have had RR Sports previously for 9 years and all did the same occasionally.

One thing to consider on the 17my, to get the best from the infotainment system you will need a wifi connection whilst at home / office or a SIM card. This enables the full search function / web browsing / wifi hotspot facility. Granted only whilst have wifi connected unless you have the SIM installed

Wifi hotspot is superb - allows laptops / iPads / smartphone to use the cars data connection. Previous
MY17 SDV8 SE Carpathian Grey, Black Pack, Ebony / Ebony Interior
MY15 SDV8 SE Causeway Grey, Black Pack, Ebony
MY09 RRS
MY06 RRS
Current
2007 TD5 Defender - Owned since new

Last edited by WillyT on 24th Nov 2017 10:58am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #458404 24th Nov 2017 10:42am
Robwheeler

United Kingdom 

Many thanks for all your replies.

It does seem a bit silly that they changed the system for MY17 only. It doesn't reflect well on JLR's internal development processes! I understand that they use the same system on the Jags though and haven't seen the Velar system mentioned for them yet. I suppose that means they'll have at least a couple of model years across the group with this system to support.

Adamfawsitt - looks a nice spec in a colour I like. If I haven't found something by then please let me know. The problem with being in Cornwall is that the three local dealers (Matford Exeter, Carrs Truro, Roger Young Plymouth) don't seem to have much used stock. Currently only one 4.4 AB full fat 2016+ between them, and that's in Aruba which I don't particularly like. The search continues!

Post #458409 24th Nov 2017 10:54am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Have you spoken to Russell at Barnstaple and asked him to check what’s coming up on “back room stock”? This is the fleet of vehicles that Land Rover register to themselves and then run for around 9-12 months (and 10,000 miles or so) and then offer out to the dealer in a closed auction.

There’s normally a very good choice that they’ll show you if you ask, but the dealer’s are reluctant to put down such a costly car simply for stock. I’ve bought all 3 of my used Land Rovers like this, my last one from Russell (and he’ll know what you mean if you ask for “back room stock”!).

PS: Please tell him that John says “Hello” if you speak to him Thumbs Up

PPS: Try and avoid white examples from “back room stock”, that's where the Land Rover Experience cars go when they've done with them Shocked

Post #458415 24th Nov 2017 11:17am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1