Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > L405 2014 Front Diff Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Haggis Hunter

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Fuji White
L405 2014 Front Diff Failure

Hi guys, I've a problem with our 2014 L405 two weeks ago whilst turning on full lock I heard a small judder my wife asks what the hell was that, I reckoned it was torque vectoring or some other electronic wizardry and thought no more about it. drove home for 50 miles and all was well.

A few days later same thing happens, tried to replicate and found whenever a steering lock of 30 degrees or more was applied the grinding happens hard to tell exactly where it comes from, but feels very like driving my 2004 disco with "CDL" engaged.

I organised & paid for flat bed recovery despite LR telling me just to drive the car to them. (its 50 miles from home to main stealer)
booked her into our local main Stealer who needed 2 hours @ £156 per hour to look at it and agree that the front diff bearings were failing as the fluid was full of metal bits. only solution is a complete replacement.

LR recon just shy of 4K to replace the front Diff, I personally feel that this should be a Land Rover issue as the car only has 31.5K on the clock and isn't even 4 year old yet.

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_bigcry.gif

My 04 Disco has 170K and pulls like a train

this is our 7th consecutive FFRR in all honesty apart from a turbo actuator on a 3.6 tdv8 and the prop shaft on out TD6 we haven't had any serious issues.

We bought the car from an Indy back in March and never took the extended warranty
My day job is a school bus fleet operator so we have plenty experience of mechanical failures and fatigue etc. I spend most of my time fixing busted stuff.
main dealer says its just wear & tear!! complete failure on a car costing north of 115k less than 4 years ago.

I've approached JLR customer service and explained that this is their problem the car has never been off road etc. there is no visual damage underneath it hasn't hit anything it seems that the bearings have just broken up.
anyone else had similar
I did find one other similar post // apparently there is a TSB on the subject (awaiting reply) I'd be interested to learn of others experience both of this fault and of JLR customer service.
thanks in advance
feel free to mail or call me with any comments you don't want to put online.
John Ferguson
john@classytaxis.co.uk
01346 511 555 Landline
07715 511 555 Mobile

Post #459691 5th Dec 2017 4:48pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Any idea who the first owner was ?

I see yours is an AB - the LRE cars are usually Vogue SE 's without front fog lights but you never know......

Post #459723 5th Dec 2017 8:05pm
Haggis Hunter

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Fuji White

I bought it from an indipendent
dealer back in march deffenetly not a lre car
I called and checked wjth LR before we bought as we were being offered loads of 2015 white ones with 5 k on the clock and it worried us a bit.

We did a bit of digging and avoided the test drive cars
That said we cant be 100% as lr do sometimes get it wrong.
Not a mark underneath, not a scrape or scratch nor does anything look obbiosly replqced or particularly new .

Post #459735 5th Dec 2017 9:29pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

It's a tough one - as unfortunate stuff happens from time to time - which is why warranties exist.

All main dealer used cars come with a warranty as standard. You chose an Indy - and presumably saved money - and refused a warranty and saved more money Whistle

I've not heard of this one being a widespread or 'design fault' so I guess you just got unlucky - but if LR were going to pay for all expensive failures, then I guess warranty companies wouldn't exist.....

You may get a good will contribution from them, maybe more - good luck Thumbs Up

Post #459818 6th Dec 2017 12:49pm
Basilfawlty

England 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

You've had a bit of bad luck and I'm sorry for you. Personally I only buy LR's with warranty for the sake of sanity as they can get expensive to fix, especially when there is little good will involved.

What has the independent dealer said because you may still have a call on them, especially if you've done few miles? How many miles has yours got on it now?

The other thing is whether or not indy dealers actually sell cars that much cheaper than MD. In my experience I've always found good deals at LR if you are prepared to travel and compromise. Good luck with the repair. Thumbs Up 2016 SDV8 Autobiography
And several others previously.

Post #459821 6th Dec 2017 2:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1