Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Range Rover Misfiring and stalls at idle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
milleR

United States 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zambezi Silver
Range Rover Misfiring and stalls at idle

Good afternoon all. It may be the end of an era for my Range at this point. Let me explain below.

2006 RR SC Full Size, 78,000 miles (Half of them Highway), changed spark plugs 1 month ago, fuel filter 6 months ago

Today I was driving my Range Rover and all was well with no codes popping up. I drove through a puddle about 4 inches deep and it was almost like a pit but nothing concerning at all that it or a normal car could not handle. I drove back through the same puddle and the car rocked just a little bit (it’s a little hole after all) but like I said nothing out of the ordinary.

Upon driving, my car immediately began to sputter to the point it stalled. I pulled over to the side of the road, turned it on and off and the car turns on, start revs normally and then unless I am pressing the gas above 3,000 RPM it will sputter out and die after trying to idle. 3,000 to 6,000 rpm the car will keep running with me putting my foot down but obviously I cannot hold it down and drive normally so the car is inoperable.

I plugged in my OBDII Scanner and it said immediately that all 8 cylinders were misfiring and that it misfired at start.

I was able to tow it to Firestone (only available mechanical place around here) and I fear they may not know or just say to replace the engine instead of finding the specific problem.

If anyone is able to tell me what to do or help then it would be a god send. Thank you in advance.

Post #459725 5th Dec 2017 7:14pm
bembo449

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue

well it reads like you sucked water up into the engine but that seems very unlikely , is ther any smoke from the exhaust ?

Post #459762 5th Dec 2017 9:58pm
milleR

None. I ended up starting it a day later and it works now. My belief is the cam shaft position sensor went array and it just re-adjusted itself afterwards. It runs no codes (so far). Everything is smooth and fine

Post #459769 5th Dec 2017 10:31pm
bembo449

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue

ghost in the machine perhaps ?

Post #459895 6th Dec 2017 9:50pm
UK Marine

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Could be the fuel pump is on the way out. They tend to be ok one minute and faulty the next only to be ok for a while again.. ______________________________
Simon

Range Rover Classic 3.5 efi - Gone
Range Rover Classic 3.9 efi - Gone
Range Rover Classic 4.2 LSE - Sadly gone
Land Rover 110 3.5 - Gone
Range Rover P38a 4.0 SE - Pleased it's gone
Range Rover P38a 2.5 DHSE - Just sold
Range Rover L322 4.4 v8 Petrol - Current

Post #459919 7th Dec 2017 9:04am
Paul thornton

United Kingdom 

Could be something simple, crank sensor, cam, sensor etc.

4 inches of water shouldn't have hydrolocked it plus it would be rattling like mad.

Post #459925 7th Dec 2017 10:46am
milleR

Sorry Gents for not responding in a while. Just wanted to say she’s still going. I asked over at RangeRover.net and RRtoadhall seems to believe it was the crankshaft position sensor that got wet and then dried off and it started back up. The mechanic who looked at my car thought the same thing (I did not tell him the theory). Well, with that said I think the same. Rangie has been working for 1,000 miles so far and kicking it. I replaced the fuel filter a year ago or so solely out of maintenance so I don’t think it was a problem. When the incident happened, the car drove a little bit and just outright acted.. weird for 5 seconds and then the engine just stuggled to rev normally. After 10 seconds of struggle it died. Repeat. Now it’s fine though after it took a day to dry off though.. Hope this answers all for now and in the future!

Post #461103 17th Dec 2017 4:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1