Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > FFRR satnav is crap!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Wished mine had a “quick” option, or if it does, I can’t find it.... 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #459103 30th Nov 2017 10:26pm
Paulus1978

England 2008 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

You have to set a destination first, and then choose from the offered routes, usually 3 to pick from, one of which is designated "quick"

Post #459117 30th Nov 2017 11:33pm
Flashman

England 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

I agree sometimes mine takes me on some strange alternative routes. Best thing is to pack a Sextant and have it as a back up! Tom

Current Drive
2011 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography - Santorini Black - Ivory Leather

Previous Drives
2004 Model Vogue Td6 (Touchscreen) - Java Black - Parchment Leather
1994 RR Classic 3.9 V8 Soft dash - Niagara Grey - Grey Leather
1972 Series III SWB Safari - Green (Hand Painted) - Black Plastic

Post #459120 30th Nov 2017 11:39pm
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

I find the sat nav useful most of the time, but my sense check is to use google maps on my computer, then OS maps on my computer, Waze and Google on a mobile in the car and I also carry an AA road Atlas. However the other day due to a new bridge being built (Mersey Crossing) I discovered that the Sat Nav thought I was in the water and before and after the bridge I was travelling on some very new roads, I got round it by following road signs.

Coming back I just followed the road signs again for the M6, the sat nav wasn't happy with this but even I knew that I just needed to get to the M6 and turn north to get home. My biggest problem is me trying to engage the Sat Nav in conversation e.g. "Don't worry darling I know where I am going" although she never answers its still fun Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Geoff

Post #459149 1st Dec 2017 9:23am
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Flashman wrote:
Best thing is to pack a Sextant and have it as a back up!

I can lend you mine. Very Happy

John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #459157 1st Dec 2017 10:24am
wack61

United Kingdom 

I've got a £300 tomtom that's been in the box for 12 months

forget built in satnav , especially on a car 10+ years old , technology has moved on , all you need is WAZE for your smartphone

Waze is the best satnav by a country mile , it also has a very useful feature, driver input, from traffic jams to where the police are hiding , as long as a wazer has been along before you and pressed the button you'll be updated on where the cops are, if they're in plain sight as in ANPR or hiding up a slip road waiting for somebody going a bit quick

best of all apart from the odd advert it's completely free, traffic routing is accurate and updated in real time

Post #459221 1st Dec 2017 8:46pm
uzp315

I have a smart phone and really dislike using any kind on nav on it, so that is out for me really thanks for the tip though.

I was optimistic that there might be a simple fix because my other, older than ten years, car has a factory fitted sat nav that is just fine, the quick route is a quick route, the fast route is a fast route on it, never with an extra 30% added to the journey that is not needed. It dynamically adjusts if I take a detour, routes me around traffic, has got me as far as Budapest from the Midlands, all through the Pyranees, Italian lakes, French, German, Swiss, Austrian and Italian Alps, Blackforest, Mosel, Scotland, England, Lichtenstein and never missed a beat or taken me wrong, apart from when a road is newer than the maps. Ok, so it only has a 5 digit postcode entry, but that is a minor inconvenience especially when compared with the lunacy that exists in my land rover's brain.

I can say that my other 13 year old sat nav works fine. I was hoping there was some setting somewhere that I was missing with the range rover or that updating the device would bring some proper sense to it, because it is a proper dingbat of a device. It sounds not. Which means I will probably buy a paper atlas.

Post #459314 2nd Dec 2017 3:11pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Whistle Word of caution about using the Nav feature on your phone.. they use real time updates, over the network, so they are eating up your data allowance... As far as I know there is not an unlimited data tariff, so be careful.... Satellites are free to use, so a Nav unit is cheaper to run!

I use a 10+ years old Tomtom and it does just great.. the only thing that I do is check the route on a computer first, and then compare it with the Tomtom route... sometimes you have to drive a few miles with it screaming at you before it gets on the right route Laughing

The phone only gets used when the Nav has given up! Most of the time it doesn't need to be used... and the Nav will normally get you within a few miles of where you want to be.

And while you on the subject of route selection, does the ffrr have a shortest route option? I used that once on the Tomtom and it tried to take me across a ford... only it was best part of 100 feet wide, winter and the depth stick was showing nearly 4 feet!! Needless to say there was a bit swearing at the Censored stupid Censored smart ass Censored Tomtom Rolling Eyes Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #459542 4th Dec 2017 12:58pm
uzp315

I've started to scan across the map with my finger and put in a destination along the route I want to travel, get there, and then do the next stage. Then the next stage. This way, my RR cannot take me 190 miles when I should be doing 100. It seems to work and is only mildly inconvenient. Usually I have an excellent idea of where i am going, but a new job has me doing a few new routes and I just needed that little help from the sat nav for the first time i did each route. Live and learn.

Post #459796 6th Dec 2017 9:01am
gizze

United Kingdom 

Waze for me too, it may look crap but it is an amazing Nav app.

I cut through the back roads to get to the Cavendish Square car park from the bottom of the M11 and it takes me around 20-25 minutes doing that route. Every single Nav I have ever used before takes you either round the A406 and down Seven Sisters and in that way, down Whitechapel and commercial road or at the very best off at Stratford and through Hackney. All those routes are 45 mins at least.

Waze takes me exactly the same way as I would go, only deviating of it knows some of those back roads are busy.

Waze is Google's proper Nav app, not a lot of people know that.

I use it all the time, and also stream from my phone to a bluetooth aux adapter in the car for LBC and Radio 5 Live, and my data is never more than 2-3gb a month out of my 24gb allowance, so I don't think it uses that much data.

Also, if you're happy with google maps you can now download the map areas you need to your phone, saves loads of data doing that. Porsche 911 (996)
2015 BMW 5 Series Touring
Not got a LR of any kind at the mo, and got itchy feet.

Post #460076 8th Dec 2017 8:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12