Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > My Battery Top Tips - Go AGM!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

nope Wink ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #456584 8th Nov 2017 7:26pm
bleeperman

2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Balmoral Blue
Hungry FFRR battery eater.

My second L322 TD6 and 250k+ miles between them. I am amazed how many users have battery issues, I have had two Varta fail and judging by the hammering this new Exide is getting I don't see it getting out of warranty. I have recently fitted a CTEK monitor, the software is poor on the smart phone end but I can see real time data and it surprising how the dynamic charge control on the alternator fails to keep up with different driving conditions. Two questions, anyone overridden the field voltage control on the alternator? Anyone ever looked into the effects of say fitting a battery isolator for longer period of standing? The boat has a clever device that isolates the battery at a low terminal voltage so that you can always start the engine maybe we could use this to prevent those embarrassing none starts. Please don't ask me to look for the cause of the drain because last time I did that on the old motor it nearly caused a divorce Sad

Post #460520 12th Dec 2017 12:40pm
Always

United Kingdom 
And 13 months on...

Hi all.
I'm the original poster on this thread; figured I'd feed back again. The AGM battery has now been in the car for well over a year, and my experience is still a really positive one. I can still use the FBH for those chilly mornings without worry that the car won't start - It's a whole different ownership experience!

I didn't tell the car I had replaced the battery, I didn't do anything other than literally swap it, and it has been absolutely fine. I still don't push my luck around car-based-holiday packing time though!

Car is an '07 3.6 TDV8 L322

Post #495990 19th Nov 2018 2:14pm
mrtidy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

My 2009 3.6 tdv8 has had a AGM battery for the past 3 years and touch wood no battery problems at all, so I agree AGM seems to be the way to go in my experience. I originally purchased a battery from europarts but it was too big and didn't fit, so i took it back and the only one they had was a Bosch AGM battery so they let me have that for the same price as the normal battery. I just fitted it and haven't had any low battery problems at all. 2009 Vogue SE Zermatt silver

Post #496142 21st Nov 2018 3:33am
JST

England 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Stornoway Grey

i fitted an Odyssey PC1500 to my 2010 3.6 tdv8 and ran it like that for 2-3 years no problems.

took the battery out when i sold it and fitted it to my 4.4 2012, its been in there over 2years no problems so far.

didnt tell the vehicle battery was changed on either of them.

The AGM seems to provide the voltage above the ECU threshold to shut down even on cold startup when all the other systems are firing up even though the PC1500 is less Ah is cop[es no problem inc preheater use. Cheers

James

Post #496154 21st Nov 2018 9:46am
rar110

Australia 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

I fitted a Century AGM in June. Recently I fitted a CTek plug to the battery which indicates if battery needs regarding. I do a short daily drive to the train station. I was warned this will impact on the battery. Looks like that’s true.

Back to shanks pony. 😄 ______________________________
Vogue tdv8 08MY poverty pack - wow

Post #496242 21st Nov 2018 10:27pm
dexion7

2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Alaska White

I agree that 'any battery' is not suitable, at least as regards my 2010VSE.

When it needed a battery 3 years ago I read all the stuff on here about batteries and decided that I wasn't going pay LR price for a genuine one. Can't recall what type I got but think it was a Bosch. Just as someone else found and commented earlier on this thread, using FBH and short trips meant that it wouldn't start after a few days.

I also found that (even after along run) if I sat in the car watching the telly with the engine off it would come up with someithing like 'low power shutting down' after 15 mins (but would still start later).

Coincidentally, during this phase it was at the LR place at Team Valley Gateshead for something else and I was discussing the issue with the bods there and they advised that the charging system on my car was suited to the gell battery and they managed to sell me a new LR gell battery on the understanding that if the problem was not resolved immediately they would refund and send someone across with my old battery otherwise they could keep my battery!

The problem WAS resolved immediately!

Post #496369 23rd Nov 2018 1:01pm
Always

United Kingdom 
OP update - 2.5yrs on...

Hi all.
OP here. Just another quick update on the progress of the AGM battery. 2.5 years on from fitting the AGM battery - still going strong, still supports frequent use of the FBH for chilly morning starts without issues - and most of my journeys are silly short ones, so it has a lot of work to do between long runs.

Absolutely has transformed my ownership experience. Very Happy

Post #543879 14th Feb 2020 10:25am
Tugger

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Interesting update, thanks.

Reason I'm reading this is that I replaced the original AGM in my 09/3.6 with another of the same spec (95Ah, 850 CCA) about 6 months ago but I still get fairly regular "Special Programs Off" on startup, particularly if I try to start with the heater or heated seats on. I'm begining to suspect 850CCA isn't quite enough for the car. Also my FBH no longer fires up (just cuts off after about 2 mins)

I see your Varta H15 is rated at 950CCA, and I read your posts as having no issues on startup at all. Thinking I might just bite the bullet and upgrade again. 09 RR Westminster 3.6TDV8 - Stornoway Grey / Black interior - now gone (sad face)
Nissan X Trail 1.6TDCi Tekna
Fiat 500 1.2

Post #543883 14th Feb 2020 12:02pm
mm289

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Ipanema Sand

So I have fitted a replacement AGM in my 11 4.4TDV8 and it starts perfectly etc. What I do have is difficulty with the FBH and the radio will only run for 15mins prior to shutting down with low power.

In the IID you can set the battery type but their is a list of non intelligble battery codes that don't seem to tally to anything I can comprehend (H5, H8, TCool etc from memory Whistle

Anyone know how to tell which code is the right one for an AGM and is their anything else you set in the IID other than this code?

IID shows pretty low voltage on screen when not running but I believe the IID voltage isn't the most reliable volt meter in the world? To confirm I have never had starting issues in the 6 months the AGM has been fitted and the alternator shows 14+ volts when running.....

Cheers,

Paul. 2011 TDV8 AB
2006 TD6 AB (Gone to Wales)

Post #544257 17th Feb 2020 11:23pm
bleeperman

2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Balmoral Blue

I wouldn't worry too much the AGM will take abuse much better than std lead acid. Since I went that route I notice battery terminal voltage is higher on start so results in firing up quicker, thus less drain. Ultimately the FF will work any battery hard and the essence is the ability of the AGM to tolerate deep discharge better without sulphating. Always keep my booster charger handy should be std fit on the FF.

Post #547418 17th Mar 2020 9:47am
wayneg

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

I have been away for 18 days, had to jump into the RR to get some supplies in, car started within a second . Did my trip 5 miles return, headlights and wipers on. RR back into my garage. Today I go to the garage and I have left the lights on for over 12 hours, jump into the RR and she fires up a usual instantly. I have a Deka Intimidator AGM battery that seems to thrive on abuse, cost more but seems to be worth it
https://www.batteriesdirect.com.au/shop/product/4457/9a31p.html 2007 TDV8 VSE
2003 TD6 gone.
2002 P38a gone
1999 P38a gone
1997 p38a gone
1993 VSE gone
1992 VSE gone
1966 Series 2a with V8 conversion gone

Post #547431 17th Mar 2020 11:25am
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Before I changed my alternator, I got a warranty replacement battery from ECP. I paid the difference and got the AGM equivalent.

No issues thus far Thumbs Up Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #547440 17th Mar 2020 12:58pm
John w

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

My battery is dying at present (wouldn't start this morning, despite being driven yesterday), so time for a change.

Its currently fitted with a yuasa 5000 YBX5019, which I dont think is an AGM type. I think the previous owner changed it.

I assume a 2010 4.4 tdv8 should have an agm battery ?

Cheers,
John. Too many toys, not enough time

2011 4.4 TDV8 AB Black

Post #548014 23rd Mar 2020 12:37pm
ur20v

A Trap 

From 2010 you can select the battery type and charge settings with a GAP iiD. Prior and you can’t and it should be a non-AGM lead acid battery.

Post #548022 23rd Mar 2020 1:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>