Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L405) > MY18 infotainment
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Eirik34

Norway 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey
MY18 infotainment

Just read this review of the Velar. It gets overall very good scores, but for the infotainment system they conclude:

Quote:
"... Response times were nearly double those of the slowest systems to respond among the Velar’s competitors. Worse, this all-new system’s responsiveness lags behind every other Land Rover product we’ve tested so far, ..."
--> https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-...ver-page-6

Lets hope they've put faster infotainment HW in the new L405 MY18!

Last edited by Eirik34 on 13th Nov 2017 11:21pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #457203 13th Nov 2017 10:56pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Interesting...

Post #457207 13th Nov 2017 11:18pm
Rob99

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

With computing hardware as quick (and relatively inexpensive) as it is these days I'm surprised LR have these sorts of slow response times.

I can only assume it's down to poor software presumably externally sourced by LR at a particular price point Whistle 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Gone, but not forgotten

Post #457256 14th Nov 2017 2:10pm
stillrunning

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Just read the article.
1 second between changing screens, my old one took anything up 15mins to do that before it gave up and restarted., so I will take that all day long.
I have everything crossed they have resolved the issues that were problematic on the MY17

Post #457321 14th Nov 2017 9:33pm
Red Merle

There's definitely new software for the standard 17MY, but not the 17MY with RSE unfortunately...

Post #460071 8th Dec 2017 6:32pm
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

Technology for technology's sake.

As I understand it, it's not really software alone , but a combination of hardware and software. The thing with car infotainment systems is that they need to boot from cold (fully off) extremely fast compared to other things like laptops, tablets and mobile phones. We expect the car to become ready within about 5 to 10 seconds ... Most devices take 30s to a minute for a cold start, which is unsuitable for a car.

So that leads to custom devices with memory setups that boot fast ... Custom hardware adds to cost, so the computing power may be compromised , which reaches limits when you add fancy graphics on the top.

Bit like sticking a teenie engine in a full fat cause that's all there is a budget for ... It'll go, but slowly. V8 or else ...

Post #460419 11th Dec 2017 8:38pm
Red Merle

Which certainly sounds very plausible Thumbs Up

Thinking back to the system in my old Disco 4’s and Freelander 2’s it was very reliable, but frustratingly slow, very basic and clunky. As soon as I tried the MY17, I could see that it was so far ahead of my old system and much more useful; I knew that the car wouldn’t be right without it.

After lots of use, it’s still slow to react compared to my TomTom satnav, but a lot faster than the previous system. It makes good use of the additional screen size and answers most of the problems that I had with the old system, especially the improvement to the appalling surround camera quality on the Disco 4. Having said that, the “bird’s eye view” has proven to be a gimmick.

Yes, it’s had problems that the previous system didn’t have. It’s frozen on occasion and the BluTooth has dropped out; these are problems that required restarts (as in turning the car off, getting out, locking the door and coming back 10 minutes later).

Have these problems been inconvenient and frequent enough to make me wish I’d bought the old system? Definitely not!

Is the problem that I’ve experienced worse than similar issues with mobile phone operating systems and Windows? No.

Do I think that enough of the few rough edges could be sufficiently smoothed off (rather than completely fixed) with software updates alone? Instinct and experience in my own industry would suggest “yes”.

Do I think that LR will prioritise these fixes, especially now that they will no longer apply to current production and will only be relevant to a relatively short period of production? No chance! Laughing

Post #460927 15th Dec 2017 12:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1