Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Any L405 owners experienced front driveshaft grinding?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Macpaul

2019 Range Rover Vogue SE 2.0 PHEV Siberian Silver

Same problem as you mzplcg.

It felt to me like you're trying to turn a corner with the diff lock engaged. A sort of shuddering.

After the usual 'no fault found' comment, the workshop manager had a drive.

Turns out there's a technical service bulletin on the VIN numbers of the affected cars, so a the transfer box oil is changed, the car run and then changed again.

Why we have to argue about this stuff all the time God knows. Why don't they just do it if the car's one of the run involved, customer complaint or not?

Heigh ho.

Now on to the clunking suspension...........

Post #432846 27th Mar 2017 11:22am
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Yep, although to be fair LR Customer Services have been golden with me on this.

As for your suspension knock, have you had the ARC valve block changed? There is a TSB about that too. New part became standard in 2015 so yours would likely have had the old one from new. It's the thing which operated the active roll control system.

Post #432866 27th Mar 2017 1:31pm
Macpaul

Hello.

I've mentioned the anti-roll bar valve block (knowledge courtesy of this forum) and they're resisting doing anything about it.

They're saying they want to fit new bushes - for the second time in a few months.

You don't have any TSB info do you?

Post #432870 27th Mar 2017 1:56pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Sadly I don't, but it is very well documented. Perhaps give Customer Services a call and ask. I'm not surprised about the resistance as the part isn't cheap but mine had all the bushes done, a new front anti roll bar, new front shocks etc and still the knock was there. It was the valve body replacement which cured it.

Post #432871 27th Mar 2017 2:08pm
Macpaul

Thanks for the reply and - progress!

The workshop manager reveals to me that apparently there's a service bulletin on the subject!

He told me as if he was handing down new and mysterious information but that if new bushes and control arms don't do it, then LR specify the changing of the valve block and anti-roll bar itself. Which is now what they're doing. Thumbs Up

I suspect that the better dealers' policy is just to get on with it, and the poorer dealers make you fight for it.

I can only imagine the reason is that LR must pay very much less for dealer's workshop time than they can get from Joe Punter?

It's a pity - I had a P38 in the late 1990's and went to Guy Salmon in Surbiton. The manager there wanted you to have every improvement going. He even used to tell you to complain about something in order to let him do it!

Guess what - huge loyalty was the result.

Post #432951 28th Mar 2017 12:29pm
Macpaul

Just as a ps to anyone looking at this thread in the future, the new valve block did sort out the problem with the front suspension I'm pleased to say.

Also, the front juddering, the original subject of this thread, was fixed under service bulletin LTB 00906V5 (flushing transfer box).

LTB 00560L7 was also carried out while it was there - fuel sloshing in the tank.

Post #433449 1st Apr 2017 12:20pm
JamesD

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

I just experienced this issue in the last few weeks. My 16 plate TDV6 has done 20k miles, I occurs when doing some slow speed manoeuvring on full lock, I thought I had run over a brick when it first happened...quite a loud knocking. I will be speaking with my dealer asap and finding out if my car is in the affected range. 2021 L405 Vogue D300
2016 L405 Vogue 3.0TDV6 (Sold)

Post #447249 9th Aug 2017 4:43pm
Haggis Hunter

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Fuji White
simillar problems with L405

Hi guys, I've a similar problem with our 2014 L405 two weeks ago whilst turning on full lock I heard a small judder my wife asks what the hell was that, I reckoned it was torque vectoring or some other electronic wizardry and thought no more about it. drove home for 50 miles and all was well.

A few days later same thing happens, tried to replicate and found whenever a steering lock of 30 degrees or more was applied the grinding happens hard to tell exactly where it comes from, but feels very like driving my 2004 disco with cdl engaged.

I organised & paid for flat bed recovery despite LR telling me to drive the car to them (its 50 miles from home to main stealer)
booked her into our local main Stealer who needed 2 hours @ £156 per hour to look at it and agree that the front diff bearings were failing as the fluid was full of metal bits.

LR recon just shy of 4K to replace the front Diff, I personally feel that this should be a Land Rover issue as the car only has 31.5K on the clock and isn't even 4 year old yet.

my 04 Disco has 170K and pulls like a train

this is our 7th consecutive FFRR in all honesty apart from a turbo actuator on a 3.6 tdv8 and the prop shaft on out TD6 we haven't had any serious issues.

We bought the car from an Indy back in March and never took the extended warranty
my day job is a school bus fleet operator so we have plenty experience of mechanical failures and fatigue etc.
main dealer says its just wear & tear!! complete failure on a car costing north of 115k 4 years ago.

I've approached JLR customer service and explained that this is their problem the car has never been off road etc. there is no visual damage underneath it hasn't hit anything it seems that the bearings have just broken up.

I explained the TSB mentioned on this post to the main dealer and to LR customer service both claim not to know anything about it

how did you chaps get on what was the final outcome?

Post #459656 5th Dec 2017 10:07am
Poocherama

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV6 Santorini Black

Hi all,

I may be experiencing a similar issue. Toward the end of a long journey through the snow I thought I'd picked up a puncture. When pulling off from a standstill, and turning left at low speeds, the front left wheel kept making a thumping noise and there was a grinding sensation coming through the steering wheel. It seems to have gone now but its due to go to the dealership tomorrow morning so will report back asap.

P

Post #461438 19th Dec 2017 3:02pm
Poocherama

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV6 Santorini Black

Update. Booked in 10 days ago. Dropped it off yesterday morning. They didn't touch it, to busy. Picked it up this morning.

In the last 24 hours I've spent nearly an hour in Lookers Battersea and, no word of a lie, nearly every person in there was complaining about work not being carried out or being hugely delayed. It's just to much of an effort to deal with JLR service departments, I may buy a Porsche instead...

Post #461631 21st Dec 2017 2:09pm
DBOVO

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Carpathian Grey

SDv8 Vogue SE, March 2017
I had the same issue and its now sorted thank God. It was hacking me off as it seamed very intermittent and difficult to demonstrate to a technician reliably making me look a little dumb on 2 previous visits to the dealer.

Show this to the LR technician, its all he needs and its all under warranty. Now its as smooth a silk, perfect.

RR Vogue - April 2017 Fix for Judder . Symptoms - Knocks / grinding noise & vibration on 30 degrees to full lock issue

There's a technical service bulletin on the VIN numbers of the affected cars, so a the transfer box oil is changed, the car is flushed, refilled and run and then changed again. 8 x bottles of trans fluid are req.

If not attended to, the front diff / diff clutches can fail - fluid will be full of metal / clutch bits.

This is supposed to be fixed under service bulletin LTB 00906V5 (flushing transfer box).
Additionally, LTB 00560L7 was also carried out - fuel sloshing in the tank.

Post #529883 2nd Oct 2019 8:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12