Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Seized pins in callipers extra six hours labour
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
mpirie

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Baltic Blue wrote:
Just wondering, has anyone found a suitable “G” clamp device for pushing the pins out

I tried a G clamp too, but the amount of torque required was way over anything i could muster.

I never tried the ball joint splitter, but I wish I had.

Thinking about it, if a parallel punch and hammer are not shifting the pin, then the little force of a G clamp will not move it either.

Mike

Post #461383 19th Dec 2017 11:40am
nino_nino

Bosnia Herzegovina 2012 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Santorini Black

BB, this is my modified G clamp that should work :

Click image to enlarge

main modification is removal of the swiveling foot, cutting a groove for clamp to settle the pin, grinding concave indent on the top of the bolt and grinding flath end of the bolt on two sides .

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The pin protrudes on the outside of caliper 3.3 mm, so, put the clamp gruve over the pin, center the clamp bolt on the pin and tighten bolt as far as it will go, if the pin doesn't release than whack it with-in my case- 9 pound short sledge hammer.
The advantage over parallel punch is that with G clamp pin is preloaded and bolt is acting as a parallel punch held in place by indent on the top. So whack it and it must give Mr. Green Thumbs Up

Post #461441 19th Dec 2017 5:18pm
TomCobbly

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

I can see how that might work from the outside with the pin intact but the problem I found was that the pin gets stuck at the other end where the clip is on the pin. In my case the other end stayed fast and the pin just bent. I then had no choice other than to cut the pin leaving a stub to press on. I ground a chamfer on the inside cut end so it wouldn't get stuck when pressing it out.

If you find the pin bends and you have to cut it the G - clamp won't fit on the stub left inside of the caliper. 2011 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE
1993 Discovery 1 3.5 V8i

Last edited by TomCobbly on 20th Dec 2017 8:59am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #461463 19th Dec 2017 8:52pm
Cavalier

2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Hi Craig

The total cost of this work including vat was £1600. New discs, new pads all genuine LR parts, inclusive of bleeding the system having had to remove the callipers to the bench for drilling out. In your experience Do you think that is a bit costly?. He also changed one of wheels for the spare, as he did not like the look of a tyre. He also collects and returns the car, does a general pre mot type inspection each time he has my car in. Although it is a lot of money I think I was just unlucky.

Post #461467 19th Dec 2017 9:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123