Home > General > whats this worth
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
holidaychicken

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Basilfawlty wrote:
holidaychicken wrote:
The cazana HPI check thing said £9365, WBAC is £5200 so somewhere between the two is about right i guess.
i imagine when you turn up to WBAC and it is not concourse condition then they will offer you £1

Unless its spot on you'd see that £5200 slim down to around £4K at WBAC and they chip £100 off for every bit they can find.

What mileage did Cazana estimate your car had? as it usually gives random mileages and then offers tip top retail prices. On my last car they estimated my car had 30,000 miles when it actually had 7,000 miles and just because they didn't take into account that all my cars have the same private plate and they couldn't tell the difference between a black one and a loire blue one. Incompetent pratts they are.

The cazana mileage was 120K so not far off and the car has a few scuffs so WBAC would certainly knock it way down unless i dealt with them beforehand and even then they would put it under a microscope

Post #459889 6th Dec 2017 9:13pm
doclees

United States 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

holidaychicken wrote:

Yes of course, apologies, we have to pay tax or a road fund license just to drive on a highway and that varies based on emissions and age of vehicle so this vehicle would be £360 / year to tax it approximately, my older 2004 4.4 petrol is £260 per year approx as the rate changed around 2006. A newer 5.0 supercharged is around £500 / year i think. This can be paid monthly. this is supposedly to cover for building and maintaining roads.

The vehicle is currently not insured to drive on the road and it cant be taxed without being insured.
The insurance is to cover for having accidents, theft of fire etc.

if i can add this vehicle to my current FF insurance policy i can then tax it and drive it for a while to make sure all is well but if i cant add it to my current policy i would either have to insure it for a year which would probably cost me around £350 or I can buy temporary short term insurance but that costs in the region of £45 / day or weekly for £120.

i only want to use it for a short period of time to make sure i can sell it with confidence knowing that it drives ok.

on top of having the above the vehicle has to have an MOT to make sure it is roadworthy and then we pay £1.30 for a litre of fuel roughly and most of that is tax which goes to fund people who don't want to work for a living mainly !

So basically you need to be upper middle class income to own a car in UK. Ouch! Our costs and regs vary by state and even county a little.
Insurance companies will give 7-30 day to report a new car on you policy without any additional fee. If I insured a vehicle and canceled it in 2 weeks it would just be pro rated. When you buy a new or used car you show proof of insurance to department of motor vehicle along with a title. You pay for tag (licence plate), title transfer and sales tax(6% in PA), and registration( about $50/year). MOT(safety inspection and sometimes emissions) is yearly here in PA but 14 states have none. About $.70 of the current $3.00/gal goes to road tax. In our case it is the same "tax which goes to fund people who don't want to work for a living" aka road construction workers. Welcome to PA. Single lane forms here.

Post #459907 7th Dec 2017 12:35am
holidaychicken

We do like a bit of tax over here, I wouldn’t say I earn great money but because I have to have a company car for my job I have to pay an extra £3600 on top of my normal tax because it is available for private use which totals about 500 miles per year but one year I didn’t do any private miles but the charge is the same. That year I drove my 4.4 for private use and at 17 mpg the tax man could take the year off that year ....

Post #459908 7th Dec 2017 1:20am
kds2

England 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Cost me £70 to insure a 53 plate td6 for 28 days so could tax it.

Post #459948 7th Dec 2017 4:08pm
Paulus1978

England 2008 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

Some fun numbers just because this might add a bit more colour for our American cousin. My 2008 3.6 TDV8 costs £525 tax
and £600 insurance per year, and returns at her very best 33 Mile Per Gallon doing long runs down the Motorway.

She's worth every penny Thumbs Up

Post #459953 7th Dec 2017 4:49pm
Paul thornton

United Kingdom 

Southern Ireland is worse, a friend over there has a basic (08 plate IRRC) diesel Skoda Octavia.

He pays €650 every 6 months just in road tax.

Post #459955 7th Dec 2017 5:10pm
doclees

United States 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Paulus1978 wrote:
Some fun numbers just because this might add a bit more colour for our American cousin. My 2008 3.6 TDV8 costs £525 tax
and £600 insurance per year, and returns at her very best 33 Mile Per Gallon doing long runs down the Motorway.

I assume that is imperial gallons. Still I'd kill for 27 MPG US. It wouldn't trade it for the financial extortion you folks are getting. I find it frustrating this ford engine isn't found here in any vehicle. I guess it wouldn't be a simple swap and would need the transmission and electronics swapped too.

Post #459962 7th Dec 2017 5:48pm
holidaychicken

kds2 wrote:
Cost me £70 to insure a 53 plate td6 for 28 days so could tax it.

Thats good, i couldn't find anywhere that cheap, who was that with ?

Post #459976 7th Dec 2017 7:22pm
kds2

Thats with Admiral, been with them for a few years now, came in with best quote after finding my p38 doesnt stop as quick as a reno senic stopping for police car on blues and twos wrong siding traffic lights and its not worth the hassle changing ever year for couple of £.

Post #459997 8th Dec 2017 12:31am
holidaychicken

Paulus1978 wrote:

That is what I’d expect to pay, I keep dreaming of a 5.0 Supercharged .....

Paul thornton wrote:
Southern Ireland is worse, a friend over there has a basic (08 plate IRRC) diesel Skoda Octavia.

He pays €650 every 6 months just in road tax.

Jeez , I think I would have to get a horse living there...

doclees wrote:

I assume that is imperial gallons. Still I'd kill for 27 MPG US. It wouldn't trade it for the financial extortion you folks are getting. I find it frustrating this ford engine isn't found here in any vehicle. I guess it wouldn't be a simple swap and would need the transmission and electronics swapped too.

Couldn’t you import a European model from a country that also drive on the wrong side of the road Very Happy

kds2 wrote:
Thats with Admiral, been with them for a few years now, came in with best quote after finding my p38 doesnt stop as quick as a reno senic stopping for police car on blues and twos wrong siding traffic lights and its not worth the hassle changing ever year for couple of £.

I think I’ll try ringing Adrian Flux, my broker, and see what they say, I did message them on another forum but didn’t get anywhere.
I would like to able to use the TD6 for a month just for a bit of variety and I used to love driving tractors when I was a kid Smile

Post #460096 9th Dec 2017 9:45am
kds2

I was with adrian flux over 15 years ago when I put the diawhatsit diesel in my 95 classic just rang them told them what it was and no problem every where else wanted this and that report.

Post #460166 9th Dec 2017 11:52pm
holidaychicken

I’ve been quoted £125 for a month with AF based on 250 mikes but checking today they have used my policy details which states I have modifications but there are none on the TD6 so I’ll check that tomorrow.
I’ll probably do it and my mate said he would tax it so I can use it to give it a test.
It’s going to need a battery or it has a drain as I took it off the trickle charger to charge mine and it wouldn’t start after standing for 3 days.

Post #460170 10th Dec 2017 1:41am
kds2

£125 is a bit steep for a month just to check it out, I would just like to correct couple of points in my last post, it was the 75 two door classic put the diawhatsit in not 95 and in the 89 four door I put a 200tdi out of a disco so it would be more like 25 years since dealt with Flux. I`m old ok memory not what it (well thats my excuse) was.

Post #460228 10th Dec 2017 3:32pm
holidaychicken

I taxed it today for 6 months and insured it for a month with a 500 mile limit, i wanted to be able to drive it as much as I like.
Did about 30 miles tonight and from a transmission and handling point of view it drives perfect, i checked out the satnav, low range, stereo, did have a little play with the TV but didn't get it to tune in as it said i had to be stationary even though i was.
It drove fine on a long run at around 40 mile an hour on an average speed limit section of road but it didn't pull as much as i would expect up to 70 when joining a dual carriageway so i am going to change the injector loom which was an earlier fault it had that i thought i had cured.
The temp gauge didn't go up much past about 1/3 of the way but it was 0 deg C outside but i'm not sure if that is normal, there was heat in the cabin.
it does drive very smooth from a handling point of view and the oil and water levels are perfect from when it was serviced at the beginning of the year.
I also took a few phots overlooking the Thames Riviera Smile

Post #460279 10th Dec 2017 10:05pm
holidaychicken

Bit of an update, fitted new battery and it now cranks really fast and left it for a week and no battery drain so that’s all good.
Fitted brand new injector loom and now all injectors working perfectly but I’m getting a variable nozzle turbo fault which means it may have to come off and i’ll clean the variable vanes or actuator but one of the vacuum hoses was perished which I have replaced so that may have cured it anyway

Post #462137 25th Dec 2017 9:16am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>