Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Rambles

2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

So mine’s about 7 years old

What’s worse this time of year....driving around with loads of salt on your car
Or havin it washed by mechanical washers...or enthusiastic Eastern Europeans

I use both. Given that my car suffers from garage rash, dings in doors from supermarket car parking bays being too small, chips from road pebbles, seems a bit precious to me to worry about the effects of corrosive cleaning chemicals.
And I also live by the sea in East Sussex...so the salt in the air is probably not helping either...

I am more concerned to make sure my oils and fluids are regularly changed.
I am driving to Düsseldorf today. The FFRR will no doubt be covered in salt and crud by the time I arrive.

Post #462689 30th Dec 2017 8:22am
Change Junkie

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Alaska White

Never use a mechanical car wash or roadside hand washers for the reasons stated above. I prefer to have the car dirty during icy periods rather than wash the car (just keeping the windows and lights clean obviously). I treated myself 4 or 5 years ago and invested in a Karcher hot jet washer - has a diesel burner installed and can really cut through the grim - a brilliant piece of kit. I use the jet washer, AutoGlym products, non acidic wheel cleaner, two bucket process to soap the car. Takes me about one and a half hours to wash the FFRR. Like someone has mentioned before, I do enjoy washing a car...cathartic I think, and as has been said you can spot paintwork problems. As an aside the car is coming back from my paint man today after some cosmetic work... will post some snaps at some point once it’s back home. Have a great New Year’s Eve everyone and a safe, healthy and happy 2018! Current:
2010 RR Supercharged V8 40k miles
2004 TVR Sagaris Road Track Prototype - Insane
2002 TVR T350 Pre-Production Prototype - Viceral
Previously:
2003 RR HSE - Owned from new - sold with 246k miles - yes 246k miles
2003 TVR TuscanS - Did what it said on the can
2000 Defender SWB - Iconic
1969 Series 2A Air Portable - Almost Concourse - Took to Buck Palace to see the Queen

Post #462693 30th Dec 2017 8:50am
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

I do not and will not use car washes. I have a good friend who had a BMW ruined by one at a supermarket a few years ago. Really not worth the risk, in my opinion.

The Polish chaps? I used to use them locally on occasion, but their service has worsened and I won't go there ever again.

These days it's strictly snow foam, a jet wash and careful cleaning. A quick one can be done in 30 minutes, negating any time advantage over driving anywhere for others to do it.

I'll spend much time doing things in more detail when I've the inclination and time. My SC's engine bay taken a few days ago. She's just turned 100,000 miles.

Below that, an old Ford I also own. 47 years old and cleaned with great care. Bit like me, these days...

Click image to enlarge
 Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #462727 30th Dec 2017 4:13pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

Not for me the mechanical car wash or local grit grinder.

Time and inclination as Bellini says (both looking good Si Thumbs Up

About 2 months plus since washing ours...manana manana

Cleaning the inside of the wheel rims is also an affliction Thumbs Up

Like the sound of a hot water power washer...

Post #462747 30th Dec 2017 7:13pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Nice engine bay Bellini!

I must admit I've dressed my pipes under the hood! Bought some detailing brushes too, those are great.

Do we need to start a 'show us your engine bay' thread? I think yes!!! Thumbs Up

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #462748 30th Dec 2017 7:22pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

oh and aja500 - very nice!

Greg Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #462749 30th Dec 2017 7:22pm
aja500

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Aruba

Thanks Greg and all others for your comments - It's good to know it's not just me that gets pleasure from putting the work in and admiring a car once cleaned.

Also Bellini, I have to agree with Greg, that's one tidy engine bay..... I'm not particularly up on American Cars, so not sure what make / model that is but what I can see, is that's one truly cherished example!

For the most part, I suspect we've all worked hard for what we have, so I think it's good to respect and care for what we've bought with our hard earned cash.

Some other good points made - The Karcher Cleaner with hot water and a diesel burner sounds interesting. I currently have one of the high end electric plug-in versions, but think I might be missing something here, with what I suspect will be a higher powered, better cleaning diesel version.

I was also interested to read one reply, where someone said they don't wash their car thoroughly during the winter months, but simply jet wash off the thick of the filth - I do love cleaning my cars, but getting all the kit out in mid-winter, when it's absolutely freezing cold and raining intermittently, can be somewhat miserable and makes you feel like your fighting a losing battle..... Maybe blasting off the thick dirt during icy winter months and avoiding the East European Car Washer's with harsh chemicals is the answer, until Spring comes along at least. Thereafter, maybe good frequent washes and the occasional polish to bring the car back up to scratch.

pld118 - I'm glad to see you've discovered that cleaning inside the rims keeps that "new look" - Watch for hand cuts when cleaning inside those rims though - The areas around the brake discs can be really sharp..... As I suspect you've already found.

Post #462766 31st Dec 2017 1:25am
rar110

Australia 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

I clean the car a few different ways. My FFRR is outside 100% of the time. And often under a tree which drops sap, and home to lots of bats and birds. So I t’s either out in the scorching sun or under the shady tree and subject to a coating of sap & crap.

I will clean the FFRR by either:
• pressure clean, two bucket wash with microfibre cloths, spray wax/other speed wax ( my current favourite is Chemical Guys Butter wet wax)
• pressure clean, then spray on shampoo (similar effect to snow foam) and either rinse off with bucket and microfibre towel or pressure clean again, possibly wax as per above;
• just spray on a quick detailer (currently using Chemical Guys as 4lt concentrate is best bang for buck - seems as good as Meguiars etc) wiper over with microfibre towel, so a waterless wash. This is the quickest.

About every 6 months I will clay bar the FFRR to get the paint really clean. ______________________________
Vogue tdv8 08MY poverty pack - wow

Post #462843 1st Jan 2018 2:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12