Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Howto: FFRR '02 TD6 - Change a Diesel Injector
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Joe90

England 
Howto: FFRR '02 TD6 - Change a Diesel Injector

A fairly straight forward job, but a lot of dismantling required to get at the injectors, and a few tips that go against what RAVE says!

Preliminaries - covered elsewhere on forum or in RAVE

1. remove plenum chamber
2. remove all engine covers
3. remove inlet manifold
4. release injector wiring

5. You should now have this:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

6. My leak test had identified cylinders 1 & 4 as being problematic, so picked up a couple of Britpart new injectors from Dan at Duckworths. Working on No. 1 cylinder here.

Click image to enlarge

7. Remove the springclips on all cylinders for the fuel return line and gently remove the fuel return connectors from the top of all the injectors. Lay the fuel return line aside

Click image to enlarge

8. Undo unions for injector pipes - I realised afterwards I could probably have remove the rubber clips and just removed one pipe, but in this instance I removed the pipes in pairs. A 17mm open ended spanner required for this.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

9. Release the 8mm nut on either side of the injector clamp and remove - careful not to loose them!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

RAVE now tells you to turn the torx bolt anti-clockwise to release the injector. You can try this, but most likely you will simply shear off the top of the bolts - or worse. I recommend leaving these alone.

10. Gently tap the injector clamp from side to side with a cold chisel or other suitable implement, to "release" the injector, or use a screwdriver to lever it from side to side against the union. Work it until moving easily. You should not need to apply too much force here Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

11. Using a screwdriver or other suitable tool, lever the injector up, under the union and against the manifold below. Take care as the manifold is not metal. If it won't come up, try more side to side jiggling. Keep at it, the injector will eventually pop up, then you can lift it out.

Click image to enlarge

12. Comparing the old with the new

Click image to enlarge

(the new one has a rubber protector on the tip!)

13. I dropped some muck into the injector cavity so attachec some 22mm plumbing pipe to the end of my garage Dyson and sucked it all out.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I cleaned up the clamp ready for refit.

14. That's it, all that is required is a reversal of the above to fit the new injector, but when tightening down the 8mm nuts do this side to side to take up the pressure evenly.

15. RAVE also indicates the need to calibrate the injector using T4. Time will tell whether this is necessary, others have reported no problems without the calibration, no doubt the IIDTool will tell me if I have a problem.

16. Whilst I was at it, I had the oil filter out and gave it a good rinse out with some petrol!

Click image to enlarge

Note: cannot report on "success" yet, as I await some fuel return connectors in the post to replace one that I broke when doing the leak test.

Hope this helps someone, somewhere Smile .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #259981 17th May 2014 8:50pm
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Thanks, I see you didn't have to go to these lengths to get the injector out.

Post #260017 18th May 2014 6:05am
Joe90

England 

I was worried, knowing my luck, and the fact they had been in there 12 years, but they behaved for me, unlike my glow plugs, three of which are well and truly f*****d ! .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #260047 18th May 2014 11:28am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

nice job tim, wiki'fied. Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #260055 18th May 2014 11:35am
Joe90

England 

Thumbs Up .
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Post #260065 18th May 2014 12:14pm
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Joe90 wrote:
I was worried, knowing my luck, and the fact they had been in there 12 years, but they behaved for me, unlike my glow plugs, three of which are well and truly f*****d !

I've just had my glow plugs done by Craig - 5 were not working at all, and the 6th was hardly working. It still started (just) after being parked outside overnight in -8.5°C. Just don't go anywhere very cold and you'll be ok. Laughing

Post #260071 18th May 2014 12:50pm
paul271

Scotland 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Epsom Green

Top work Joe. I was lucky and only needed to do cylinder 1 so I didn't have to remove the manifold. I reckon you could probably do cylinder 2 also without manifold removal.
One thing for others to watch out for is the fuel leak off pipe that runs across the top of the injectors can become very brittle along with the connectors. I broke mine and had to replace it all!

Post #260164 18th May 2014 9:04pm
Joe90

England 

Ah, fuel return connectors arrived, fitted new to pipes and bolted everything back together. A bit of a struggle to start up initially but now starts on the turn of the key. Chatatatata solved! No leaks either! No complaints from Message Centre.

My thanks to those who pointed me to injectors in the first place before I set off to replace my glow plugs, but I learned a few more things along the way. Thumbs Up .
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Post #260378 19th May 2014 8:02pm
Rangie4fun

Austria 2013 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Barolo Black

Guess I was lucky to get the injector very easily out (previous owner had the engine rebuild three years ago and also removed injectors, so where not stuck or rusted).
I undid the small torx and then injector (2) came out without any force. Whistle You must have the right torx socket, though. The number is E5. Tomorrow new injector will arrive and then refitting is straight forward. Hope then the fuel compensation is back to normal.

Post #399012 3rd Aug 2016 3:55pm
mm289

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Ipanema Sand

Just to add to this, following a suggestion from CamTechCraig I loosed of the retaining nuts on the injectors about 1 turn and then started the engine.

The compression was enough to "pop" the injector and break the seal to the head. Only moved a millimeter or two and could only tell it had broken loose as I had split some diesel doing a leak off test and I could see air bubbles as a result around the injector.

Doing this though loosened them enough that it was very easy to then waggle them out with very little pressure/leverage.

Cheers,

Paul. 2011 TDV8 AB
2006 TD6 AB (Gone to Wales)

Post #464825 16th Jan 2018 10:00pm
Paul thornton

United Kingdom 

Yep, I did the same on mine. Nice little trick.

Post #464826 16th Jan 2018 10:07pm
lounge_on_wheels

Australia 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Zambezi Silver

I must have been lucky all mine came out with a slight twist if the injector, non of the horror stories of others.

Post #464851 17th Jan 2018 6:38am
mm289

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Ipanema Sand

Just to add to Joe's excellent post (again), I managed to replace all my injectors really easily apart from No.1 which was absolutely solid. After hours or tapping from side to side, gently leveraging, running the engine with it loose and soaking in releasing agent it would not budge.

Looked online and basically all the injector removal tools are slide hammer based, so I dug out my slide hammer/bearing remover and managed to get it to bite on the injector hold down plate - it wouldn't catch on the body/nut as there isn't enough purchase. Couple of pics of tool in action.

Took about 20 mins of faffing and banging but eventually got it to come out. It was in much worse condition than the other 5, i do wonder if they had been cleaned before but this one had missed out as it was in soooo tight...... This is the condition it was in on removal, somewhere along the line the rubber o-ring seal has disappeared as well, loads of crud in the injector recess as well, so all cleaned up and vacuumed out.

Then noticed the copper washer wasn't on the end of the injector, it was seized into the recess Rolling Eyes Refused to come out so found a long bolt that was just the right width thread, screwed this into the washer and gave it a tug and hey presto Very Happy

So now all 6 injectors replaced, will be interesting to see if it improves the running and MPG.

Cheers,

Paul. 2011 TDV8 AB
2006 TD6 AB (Gone to Wales)

Post #474547 2nd Apr 2018 11:18am
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I’m just doing mine. I’ve got the plenum chamber off and undone the injector pipes.

What is the cost to replace the injectors?

Post #496668 26th Nov 2018 2:20pm
Joe90

England 

Depends if you go new LR, new aftermarket, or refurbs

@ £60 - £150 - better if you are lucky .
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Post #496671 26th Nov 2018 2:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>