Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Bought a Model X for the wife
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
rodp

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

I'm sure the new factory LR are building in Warwick (?) is a battery factory, I know they're after 5000 extra staff for it, 1000 of which are supposed to be qualified engineers of various types. Opens in two years I believe ???

Post #457283 14th Nov 2017 5:10pm
markdotreed

United Kingdom 

There was an article on PH that included Tesla and it's future. I'm a fan and have several friends with P85/90's but the statistics make interesting reading.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1703793 Regards
Mark

2009 D4; 1993 Classic 3.9 VSE

Post #457453 16th Nov 2017 6:18am
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

Car needed it's first reboot last night - had stopped getting data (it needs a live connection to run a lot of its systems such as infotainment and sat nav)

Post #457514 16th Nov 2017 1:41pm
ohuntsman

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

markdotreed wrote:
There was an article on PH that included Tesla and it's future. I'm a fan and have several friends with P85/90's but the statistics make interesting reading.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1703793

Amazon did, and arguably still does, burn those sorts of levels of cash and I can't help but think that with Amazon is as incredible as it is, the way that Elon burys Jeff Bezos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E-DySYvrpU) Elon really does have that special sauce to succeed against the odds with his reality distortion field!

I am very excited about the TESLA Truck unveiling tonight (tomorrow for me now)

Post #457559 16th Nov 2017 9:33pm
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

So, two months on - how's it going?

Post #465221 20th Jan 2018 10:27am
Paul J.

England 

There’s a recent article here that describes living with the model X: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/01/tesla...mpetition/

Post #465406 21st Jan 2018 3:43pm
Paul J.

England 

The above article also touches on the Tesla build quality (see at the very end), which is why I am awaiting the I-Pace, on which the following comment was made regarding the launch date:

Quote:
Why the wait? If working prototypes have been shown for half a year, why do we have to wait into 2018 for the car?

“O.K., so you finally have that new car with all the bits it is supposed to be produced with. You also have something else: Some 3,000 minor quibbles, all in themselves no show stoppers, but in total, it’s not the quality a customer demands. For a truly refined car, you must work through these 3,000 nitpickings. And finally, you also need to be able to replicate it on a production line, which runs at one car every two minutes.”

Full (I-Pace) article here

Post #465408 21st Jan 2018 4:02pm
Emperor Mong

I'm now a fan. My wife LOVES it. It gets lots of attention and people ask her about it constantly. Everyone who goes in it is impressed.

it took a while for them to sort the car's delivery faults. But they took it away and gave me an identical loaner, so no real pain.

It is fast, comfortable and quiet. The tech is very impressive (bit not as impressive as the Teslarati would have you believe). The Autopilot is only really suitable for motorways (not A roads) and the Adaptive Cruise is more prone to sudden braking than the Rangie (though it is better in a queue of traffic). The car has only just got rain sensing wipers (via an over-the-air software update). The heated seats in the rear and the heated steering wheel controls are buried in a menu in the central ipad thing.

We have done 2,000 miles in our car and it now is our first choice vehicle. I choose it over the Rangie unless I'm taking the dogs, or going shooting, or going over 200 miles. That is praise indeed.

The only trouble it gives is that it doesn't like OTA software updates. It hangs and stops charging. It then needs a reboot the next morning but isn't fully charged. Thankfully the range is sufficient such that this has never been a problem. We've never taken it below about 50 miles of range.

Post #465484 21st Jan 2018 9:37pm
Paul thornton

United Kingdom 

You just need to start using the many tesla charging points dotted all over the country then you'll go more than 200 miles.

Don't they charge to around 90% in half an hour or so on a hypercharger?

Post #465491 21st Jan 2018 10:49pm
Fat Wolfie

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Thanks @emperor mong. I’m still very tempted by the 3, your experience only serves to make me more interested. Feel a conversation with Swmbo coming on!

Post #465501 22nd Jan 2018 10:09am
Emperor Mong

@Paul thornton
Yes. I have free supercharging for life, so it makes sense. But there are none near me. In fact, I have never used one. It is always charged at home. I'm sort of itching to try a longer road trip. We haven't needed to go very far in it.

Some friends have invited us to the Dordogne in the summer and seriously considering doing it in the Tesla. The charging would add 2 hours to the drive.

There is a great website for you to plan out routes and establish where you need to stop and how long you'd need to charge:
https://www.evtripplanner.com/planner/2-8/

Apparently, when nearly empty, 30 mins on a supercharge can give you 150 miles of range. I don't know about you but a 45 minute break every 200 miles is probably sensible/necessary.

However, the current stat is that (in the UK) 60% of all charging happens at home and 30% at work. Most of the rest happens at the destination. A tiny proportion happens en route.

Post #465509 22nd Jan 2018 10:27am
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Thanks for the update - interesting. Thumbs Up

Post #465519 22nd Jan 2018 11:11am
Paul J.

England 

Yes, I've seen similar stats quoted for where the charging takes place.

A vehicle with a (real world) range that exceeds 200 miles can often complete most journeys on a single charge, so home or work charging looks after those situations. Charging on route can be expensive in comparison (but not in the case of Tesla with the free charging for life option), although the infrequency of having to rely on it very often means that it isn't a big issue. Moreover, if you sign up to Ecotricity as your electricity supplier, you can charge up at many motorway service stations for a similar cost to doing so at home.

Post #465537 22nd Jan 2018 12:44pm
Emperor Mong

This presentation has some interesting stats/views.

https://www.slideshare.net/PodPoint/5-barr...e-adoption

Post #465545 22nd Jan 2018 1:23pm
Emperor Mong

Perhaps even more telling is that, were Land Rover to produce a fully electric Range Rover (with 250 mile range), I'd definitely buy one (assuming it was affordable).

Post #465547 22nd Jan 2018 1:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>