Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Battery replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
scanner

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver
Battery replacement

My 2013 405 occasionally tells me to run the engine as the battery is going flat. This I do and all seems OK. As the battery is now 4 years old I thought that it would be worthwhile to have it checked. The stealer wanted £190 for this mammoth task. MY local garage did it for nothing and said it was on its way out and loosing capacity.
Then it gets better......

The stealer wanted £285 for a new battery fitted, my local man wanted £212 for the same. Is this just the stealer raking the p**s or is there a real differance in the batteries provided? Am I right in assuming that all batteries are the same when specified for the same vehicle?

J 2010 TDV8 Zermat Silver with dirty streaks
2013 L405 3L Vogue SE Corris grey

Post #462419 28th Dec 2017 10:52am
wack61

United Kingdom 

I've bought many batteries from Tayna over the years, never had a problem with any of them

Looks like yours is a 020 but you'd need to check that, £110 delivered

https://www.tayna.co.uk/020-Enduroline-Car-Battery-P9579.html

Brand Enduroline
Product Code 020
Voltage 12 Volts
Technology Wet
Capacity (C20) 105 Ah
CCA (EN) 885 A
CCA (SAE) 950 A
Length 394 mm
Width 175 mm
Height inc. terms 190 mm
Guarantee 4 Years
Barcode (EAN) 5060518620362

Post #462423 28th Dec 2017 11:06am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black
Re: Battery replacement

scanner wrote:
Am I right in assuming that all batteries are the same when specified for the same vehicle?

No

There’sobviously a physical size issue - it has to fit, but some batteries are way better than others - a bit like buying regular torch batteries - some last a lot longer than others.....

If in doubt you could always get a battery from a main dealer - Dan will likely quote for one.

There are also 2 batteries in the L405 Thumbs Up

Post #462444 28th Dec 2017 1:44pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

And remember yours is probably an AGM battery so, far more money then a regular LA battery...

If it were my car i would only fit a JLR battery...

They maybe made by Varta or Exide for JLR, BUT... They are made to JLR’s exacting standards... If you buy a Varta or Exide equivalent branded battery, i bet you they are NOT anywhere near as good!

Last edited by Cam-Tech-Craig on 28th Dec 2017 8:36pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #462452 28th Dec 2017 2:39pm
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Always bow to an experts opinion , that being said , can you tell me where you get the info re the LR battery being to a different standard to others branded and manufactured by the same manufacturer. Not looking for an argument just clarification. Friend of mine owns a starter motor / alternator company in Dublin and buys starters from a large German maunfacter and pays 25% premium to have buy branded as opposed to unbranded and he says they are the same but some customers insist on branded.

Again not looking for an argument 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #462455 28th Dec 2017 2:57pm
wack61

United Kingdom 

All I can say about batteries is from my own experience , I've had euroline batteries on the last few cars without a problem , I fitted one to a transit a couple of months ago , it's not been started for 2 weeks but fired up ok this morning in -2 temperatures.

There probably is a difference in battery technology between a £100 battery and a £250 one but as they're guaranteed for four years I'd be happy with the £100 one and £150 worth of fuel

Post #462504 28th Dec 2017 7:43pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

Dolph it was just our experience sir... We have tried many many different type of batteries through the years and none can rival JLR batteries in later model 322’s & 405’s imho...

Im sorry i cannot be more scientific than that sir... Bow down

Post #462513 28th Dec 2017 8:43pm
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Experience is a great teacher and i was just interested if you had any insight that maybe the average joe ( me ) didnt have. Thank for the answer.

Regards, John 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #462518 28th Dec 2017 9:03pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #462554 29th Dec 2017 12:28am
IansL405SDV8Autobiography

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Mariana Black

Hi all, I’m new to this site as this is my first RR although I’ve had many Landrovers over the years. Having experienced electrical/battery issues I wanted to share what I’ve learnt as a now ex technician. Not to brag my RR Autobiography 2014. 30,000 miles has every conceivable electrical extra on it along with dash cams & as I do very few miles have suffered on numerous occasions of it only just starting ! LR Assist have been out more times than I’ve had hot dinners & every time day my battery is ok. They repeatedly say the cause is the pre heat which I’ve set up to come on twice a day is the problem as it’s opperatin when the alternator isn’t putting any charge back into the battery. Obviously makes sense but I find it extremely poor of JLR to put a standard battery on my vehicle with so much electrical requirements so I looked into this Problem. I found a Varta H15 which although longer will fit into the battery tray under the suspension air pump. It’s 393mm long which is about 20mm longer than the factory fitted battery. Most importantly it’s 105ah & 950cca which are significantly bigger than the standard ! I’ve had no issues with the car since this change. I did read many saying RR’scwith all the bells & whistles had two batteries but this is incorrect. For UK spec RR’s only stop start models have a small secondary battery or if it’s an import/export for cold countries like Russia LR do fit a secondary battery for cranking requirements. I hope this information helps as I suspect unless you cover thirty minutes or more driving x twice a day there will be many others like me needing guidance. Ian

Post #469149 18th Feb 2018 11:31am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

You should have 2 batteries - photos on this thread might help.

Pre-heat will kill the battery - you must live in a very cold place to need it twice a day Shocked

Post #469189 18th Feb 2018 6:11pm
IansL405SDV8Autobiography

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Mariana Black

Hi Alistair & thanks for the reply. I was told by LR assist I only had one battery as I don’t have stop start (thank god !) but if you think I have two I’ll get the o/s side panel off tomorrow & have a look. I don’t suppose the original boot floor battery would be the same size etc as I’ve just updated that with a Varta H15, larger in length but it fits perfectly in the battery tray but has better ah & cranking umf ! To answer the climate conditions, no I live in the midlands but I love getting into a warm RR ! It’s the best gadget at this time of the year. Hopefully the stronger battery will correct LR’s cost saving original, time will tell. Ian

Post #469226 18th Feb 2018 8:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1