Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Finance, Insurance & Warranties > Motor Insurance...the compulsory rip off
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DaveK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey
Motor Insurance...the compulsory rip off

Around this time every year, the renewal reminder arrives and around this time every year, I go in to melt down ... well except for a renewal around 9 years ago that hadn't changed !
This time the AVIVA multi car policy had gone from £790 to £909. Yes, I know about the insurance premium rip off tax but when the two insured drivers have clean licences with a total of 70 years no claims between them and keep all 3 vehicles ( one of which is on a 1,000 to 2,000 limited milage policy ) off the road it all ways manages to grind my gears.

This year I couldn't be bothered to do the usual whinging phone call to AVIVA in an effort to get a bit knocked off, even though it has been a sucessful call for the last 6 years, I just dont have the fight left in me any more. So i took to the world wide web and having gone through all the on line form filling, managed to get a respectable £650 quote from LV. Now of course, their facebook page is full of angry customers condeming them and their failures to deal with their car claims in the manner which would have made them happy but then again, you could look on the FB pages of any motor insurer and see the same unhappy rants.

In my 42 years on the road, motor insurance has gone from a handy umbrella to a wafer thin paper raincoat and the ultimate aim of the cover providers in my opinion is to see how many claims they can wriggle out of whilst reigning in a fat profit.

So much has changed in my life times motoring... speed cameras, box junction cameras, red light cameras, congestion charging, emission zones, tougher MOT's, multitude of new motoring laws but the one thing that is crying out for a new idea.... motor insurance.

Post #469770 23rd Feb 2018 11:05am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Mind you, playing devil’s advocate, considering the competitive pressure that they are now under and the easy access to competitive quotes that we now have, it’s little surprise that they have to scrutinise the outgoings very carefully at the pay out stage. Not that there’s anything that new with insurance companies trying to reduce claims; it was 28 years ago that the date of an accident that I’d had mysteriously moved forward by a few days, which put it before my 25th birthday and greatly increased the excess!

If we buy at the lowest price, but expect good service and rapid and generous payouts, something has to give.

Post #469774 23rd Feb 2018 12:21pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I stopped going back to my current insurer for price matches as it just encourages them to hike the premium each year and see who squeals - they get no second chance - if I can be bothered looking & get a better quote, I just take it.

Post #469779 23rd Feb 2018 1:05pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Same as Alistair really one chance and if they blow it their loss

Post #469781 23rd Feb 2018 1:15pm
Grofus

Ireland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Read this
https://www.lawfulpath.com/ref/whatsWrongWithCarInsurance.php

Only we can change it. 2007 Vogue TDV8 in Zermatt Silver with Charcoal

Post #472218 12th Mar 2018 2:35am
V8Noise

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Carpathian Grey

It's so easy though.

The renewal comes through.

You go to Meerkats or similar.

You take the cheapest version of comparable cover.

All done in 5 minutes.

Just done my SL. AA renewal, £330. Meerkats bring up SAGA at £184. Also I have a 2.5 month Euro trip this year so SAGA is my chooses provider. Pay the premium by CC and forget till next year.

I do the same for all my insurance. No stress and save fortunes. 2017 5.0 Autobiography Supercharged
2005 Merc SL350
2017 Abarth 595 Comp 180 bhp
2005 Disco HSE 2.7 oil burner

Post #472232 12th Mar 2018 8:38am
counter of beans

England 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

I agree that the practice of hiking your premiums as a "reward" for your loyalty is annoying - although the likes of Sky routinely do it too, unless you challenge them. But like V8noise says, just use a couple of comparison sites - they save your details so it takes minutes.
Tip - having got quotes, purchase through Topcashback or Quidco and easily save £50+ as long as you're a new customer.

Post #472234 12th Mar 2018 8:58am
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

That’s what I’d love to be able to do, but with the tin tent in tow many of the policies are quite specific in the length of caravan they will cover.

Many won’t cover anything over a certain length, so this takes quite a bit of searching. Generally will stick wit one insurer fora few years and then look into changing. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #472623 14th Mar 2018 7:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1