Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > 3.6 tdv8 egr valves - how often and how much?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DavidL

England 
3.6 tdv8 egr valves - how often and how much?

As per the title. Harry Metcalfe seemed to think they would fail at 90k or so and would cost about £800 to replace. I'm not sure if this is each (there are 2 yes?)
Do we tend to agree with this?
Thanks

Post #470839 3rd Mar 2018 1:32pm
TJH1985

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Replaced at 83k here, one was just the “positioning sensor” but otherwise mechanically very smooth, the other one was mechanically rough with the little rollers being screwed resulting in a section that stuck or was jerky on diagnostics this one was clearly hunting trying to achieve the comanded position.

Both were very clean, with just a light coating of soot that wiped clean with just your finger.

We got them out after the positioning sensor threw a fault code, and then the diagnostic graphs showed one being erratic and the other smooth but didn’t operate in the full range.

Can’t tell any difference to drive it either way.

£350 in genuine parts and a afternoon under the bonnet.

Post #470843 3rd Mar 2018 2:55pm
mrtidy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

I've just had both my egr valves replaced at land ranger services in stockport. My car has done 94000 miles when the mil light came on,no other symptoms car ran perfect so I plugged in my iid tool and confirmed problem was egr valve. Landranger replaced them both just under £700 Inc vat parts and labour so very happy with the outcome. So yes in my experience mileage in the 90000s may be the time replacements may be due.
I've been told egr valves on a fatty should be treated as a service item though not sure what other people think about that. 2009 Vogue SE Zermatt silver

Post #470897 3rd Mar 2018 9:22pm
DavidL

England 

Thanks Mr T. That was what Mr M seemed to be saying but as you said I'd be interested to see what the thoughts were on this. The other issue is turbo failure, rather more expensive too. I gather one side is an ok job but the other involves major disassembly.

Post #470905 3rd Mar 2018 11:18pm
kgeddes

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

Interesting thread. What exactly causes the turbos to fail on the 3.6 TDV8 and are there preventative measures that can be taken?

Post #470925 4th Mar 2018 8:51am
rvbush

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Although not RR's, I've owned several vehicles (all turbo diesels, currently an E90 BMW 320d on 130k miles, these are supposed to fail at 80k!)) that are supposed to be prone to turbo failure. My two penn'orth is that it's a combination of stupidly long oil change service intervals (which only benefit the fleet market) and failure to properly warm them up and, even more importantly, cool them down after a run. How many times do you see people come storming into the mortorway service area, park, engine off, out of car and away. That engine (usually a turbo diesel) has just been on the motorway, working hard, with old oil in it and it's just been shut off while pretty damn hot. This can slowly build up a layer of gunk in the turbo around the oil seals, ultimately contributing to failure.

I never drive straight off from a cold start, always give it 15 to 20 sec (all that's needed) for full oil circulation, then give it 30 sec at idle after any run to let the oil cool the turbo. Also do interim oil changes with high quality oil. Drives:
2010 FFRR TdV8 Vogue - Stornoway Grey
2010 FFRR TdV8 Vogue SE - Zermatt Silver
1998 BMW E36 M3 GTII

Last edited by rvbush on 4th Mar 2018 5:24pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #470928 4th Mar 2018 9:11am
Clive603

England 2004 Range Rover HSE Td6 Orkney Grey

Reckon rvbush has the right of it.

Turbo warm up and cool down warnings have been prominent in the handbooks ever since SAAB started the fashion. OK that were petrol I know but same difference.

But who reads handbooks except "When all else fails....".

Given that just about everything more sophisticated than a voiture sans permis made in the last 30 years or so has headlight and interior light turn off delays just how hard could it be to engineer a suitable start / move off & stop / park delay system to keep the turbo happy. Ought to be foolproof enough with an electric parking brake and electronically controlled autobox.

Usual car maker only really cares about first buyer thing I guess. On that score they figure 100,000 miles ought too be enough. Now how does it go "If they an afford a new Range Rover and put 100,000 miles on it then new turbo will be chump change!"

Cynical! Moi!

Clive

Post #470969 4th Mar 2018 2:26pm
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Had a few Subaru in the past , as with turbo timers that leave carf ticking over for a predetermined time. 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #470976 4th Mar 2018 2:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1