Home > Technical (L405) > Standard wheel base or LWB, 4.4 diesel or 5.0 Petrol
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
yunfei306

United Kingdom 
Standard wheel base or LWB, 4.4 diesel or 5.0 Petrol

Hi everyone,

I am about to order a 18 model Range Rover as I'm thinking a bigger will be more convenient for have a baby seat in the back. However there is few things I am dilemma with,

1. Is the standard wheel base big enough to have a baby seat and big enough for a baby grow up? Is it necessary to order the LWB model?

2. After reading some other topics, I'm a little convinced to order 5.0 petrol (525hp). I'm doing about below 15k miles annually, will the 5.0 petrol be the better choice?

Thank you so much in advance. Every comments will be much appreciated.

Post #470543 1st Mar 2018 3:18pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Standard is fine - LWB is like buying a limo - great if it’s you in the back being driven but otherwise, too big and will depreciate way faster.

Annual mileage is one thing, but what kind of journeys ? The diesel isn’t so great for short slow runs and much more suitable to longer trips.

Post #470560 1st Mar 2018 4:27pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Remember London is becoming very anti-diesel under Khan - Westminster and Islington are already charging diesels more to park, diesel resident's permits cost more in Islington etc. - it's bound to spread.

Post #470566 1st Mar 2018 4:51pm
yunfei306

United Kingdom 

Thanks Alistair and Trommel.
I will be driving it all the time. It sounds petrol will be better choice. I'm wondering what the millage will be per full tank for petrol an diesel.

Post #470571 1st Mar 2018 5:17pm
paulbrown22

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Supercharged 5.0 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

It depends what sort of journeys you are doing as well. Whilst lots of short stop/start journeys don't do the DPF, EGR and "green" features in the diesel any good, they also hammer the fuel consumption of the petrol.

Certainly in my L322 5.0 S/C, the fuel consumption figures given by LR seem pretty accurate. On a motorway run it will do 25mpg, on a combined crossing of London and motorway journey I get 19-22mpg depending on how bad the London traffic is, and if you purely drive around London for stop/start journeys, I suspect 12mpg is likely!

At the moment with mainly combined journeys the onboard computer reports ~350 miles to a tank. That would drop quite a bit though with more stop/start driving.

Post #470573 1st Mar 2018 5:27pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

@yunfei...
MPG ? In london depending on the time of day and where, I guess it will be the square root of naff all. Petrol or diesel. My guess is diesel will double the petrol assuming you are buying a 4.4L but with the mileage you are doing will make little overall cost difference.

I’m very worried by the auto cut out system- ie when stationary, the engine stops and restarts when u lift the pedal.
I suspect it will completely Censored the starter motor but could be wrong. Others might comment. I disable mine, providing I remember to do so , each time I get in the car.

LWB -maybe a problem fitting into the car parking spaces anyway, as u know the wardens love a tyre over the line as they hand out £70.00 /£100.00 daylight robbery letters.

I regret, Trommel may be correct. I only go into London very occasionally- so the war against diesel doesn’t really affect me if I have pay a bit extra for an odd day out.

If I still lived in London, I would want a smart car when not carrying little bambino in the back. Wash my mouth out on this forum Whistle Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #470575 1st Mar 2018 5:42pm
Andy355

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Having recently fitted baby seat for newborn, here is my experience

- There is enough room though I think I moved the passenger seat forward a bit
- I bought Royal Rascals car seat protector to go under isofix base and kick mat for back of front seat. I would recommend both as getting the car seat in and out you could easily touch the back of the passenger seat and especially with ivory seats would likely mark them
- we went for Be Safe car seat. Must say its heavy and not comfy for baby but probably safe
- fitting the base was fiddly. Getting the isofix ends on the base to lock into the mounts on the car was hard work

For London you would need a euro 6 diesel which if buying used were the 16 model year. Even so I am thinking of moving back to petrol and an sv dynamic
[/list]

Post #470818 3rd Mar 2018 12:16pm
yunfei306

United Kingdom 

Thank you so much for your comments above.

After reading your comments I decide to look for stand base. For the petrol model, do you think it's worth to pay almost 30k more to buy the sv model comparing to AB model?

I went to my 2 local dealers, unfortunatly I was told that there is no discount at all at this moment. Do you guys know any dealer who can offer a better deal?

Post #471004 4th Mar 2018 6:45pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

If one of the dealers was Stratstone, Mayfair, I'm not surprised you were offered no discount. When I queried their quote (which was identical to the Build quote on LR website), I got no reply!!

Give Westover at Salisbury and Matford at Exeter a call. At least they treat you like a customer!!

Post #471026 4th Mar 2018 7:49pm
Andy355

If you want the new 2018 model then there are less discounts but try carwow or one of the other discount websites

With carwow you still deal with a LR dealer. Currently showing 3.9% off so around 4-5k

As to whether to go for the sv or autobiography it's personal choice the sv is more sporty and bling

Big discounts on new 2017 models to be had, sytner Coventry seem to have a lot coming through and the london dealers have a few in the showroom, more diesels than petrol though. 5 litre petrol autobiography on Auto trader for 93.5k and I think I have seen some others slightly cheaper. That's 16k off the basic list price

Post #471032 4th Mar 2018 8:01pm
Andy355

I would also say the only reason to buy local is incase the car breaks
Land Rover dealers are rubbish in my opinion there is no point thinking you will build a customer relationship with them. They don't even follow up when you want to buy a car

Post #471034 4th Mar 2018 8:05pm
Andy355

I get about 18mpg from the 4.4ltr diesel in london
I imagine the petrol would be terrible but I really don't like diesel fumes

Post #471036 4th Mar 2018 8:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1