Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > SDV8 Front Suspension Knocking - LTB00557v8 - Help Needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Maffya

2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Thank you CS. I wen to Lloyds Kelso earlier this year for a problem with the Sat Nav in my Jaguar (as Clelands had stopped dealing with Jaguar). I found them to be very good to deal with and helpful and in that instance, JLR customer service were also very proactive. I am due to go and see Pentland LR for a test drive so I will see what comes of it, falling which I may well try Lloyds. It is all very frustrating and I feel that I am made to feel like I am in the wrong and imagining things when the dealership and customer services respond by saying "we cannot find any issue with the car and all is as it should be". I am going to drive the roads around the dealership before visiting to make sure I find a spot I can replicate the noise on. I now what they will say about the car veering off to the left - it is the camber of the road and the way cars are set up!! Thank you again for your suggestion CS.

Post #457255 14th Nov 2017 2:36pm
Buz1500

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

Further to my previous entry in this posting....

When I went to pick up the car from Hunters (now Inchcape) at Brock (Preston) they told me that it was probably the lower arm bushes causing the issue. They also stated that this was a wear item and as such it wasn't covered by warranty. The cost of replacing the arms, would be £600. I asked if this would definitely stop the knocking and they replied, we can't guarantee it. At this point I grabbed my keys and left.

It's some months later and after placing my car in the hands of the Farnell dealership in Nelson, Lancashire the issue has now been resolved at no cost to me. The work undertaken included replacing both front struts, both front lower arms and a new Valve block. They also spotted a slight oil leak from one of the turbos and fixed that also. The difference in attitude and customer service was like chalk and cheese when compared to Hunters. I vow never to visit Hunters again.

It's a major concern that there's such a difference in the way different dealerships treat customer issues. It shouldn't be down to the customer to try and find a supportive dealership but given other owner posts on this forum it appears to be the norm. 2019 L405 SDV8 Autobiography
2023 Defender P400e HSE X-dynamic - gone
2020 Defender P300 SE - gone

2019 Jaguar F-Pace SVR - gone
2013 SDV8 Autobiography - gone
2011 L322 TDV8 Vogue SE - gone
2006 L322 3.6 Vogue Se - gone
1999 P38 4.0 se - gone
199? Classic 3.5 - gone

Post #472383 13th Mar 2018 12:00pm
CMJ

2015 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Santorini Black

Thumbs Up 2013 L405 AB 4.4SDV8 Luxor/Ivory, 2007 Vogue TDV8 Epson Green/Sand, 2008 Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue/Sand, 2003 Vogue 4.4 LPG Epsom Green/Sage, 1998 Vogue SE 4.6 LPG Epsom Green/Cream

Post #472530 13th Mar 2018 11:53pm
ahbeddoe13

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Mariana Black

I have a 2013 4.4 L405 and have a suspension knock over some....not all pot holes and rough roads. It sounds like an anti roll bar bush or drop link type noise, but I replaced those recently and it had no effect on curing the noise. I have spoken to a really good fitter (little experience on the L405 but used to be LR Master Tech) and he is going to test the wear on all the bushes etc when he has the car next.
Having read these forums on this issue and the lack of conclusive diagnosis and repair...am I wasting my time and do I just put up with it? Will something eventually go bang?
I hate chasing my tail trying to diagnose issues and changing parts that do not cure it can be quite costly...... what's the advice here?

Post #484397 26th Jul 2018 7:25pm
Macpaul

2019 Range Rover Vogue SE 2.0 PHEV Siberian Silver

Just thought I’d add the latest news and keep this going as this must be a subject that still affects people.

I have 2014 vehicle with a long history of the front knocking problem and have the top price LR extended warranty.

Symptoms were last fixed by new bushes about 9,000 miles ago and the knocking came back. I do have the new valve control block.

Rather than going back to the dealer again (Hunters/Inchcape Guildford) I raised a complaint with LR Customer Relations saying I wanted to get to the root of the problem not fix the symptoms again.

They booked it into Hunters direct who said if the fault was not covered under warranty, there’d be a one hour labour charge -£198.00!

A few days later, a call from Hunters - all done sir, a new anti-roll bar & bushes, all covered. At no point did I authorise any work.

But before I picked the car up, Hunters said er, we’re not sure LR are going to pay for this. And we know we haven’t fixed the problem, just the symptom.

LR then refused to pay Hunters and Hunters said it wasn’t covered by the warranty.

To be fair, a few days later Hunters said they’d pay for it all themselves but I’m no nearer a permanent fix. LR have not provided any technical help, refused so far to confirm they’ll support the new anti roll bar if it needs replacing again and are near impossible to talk to.

On the other hand there a new chap at Hunters called Roy who’s just arrived from a background in Japanese cars and has an attitude to customer service that gives you hope for the brand.

You’d think they could just compare the current suspension set-up (which I gather doesn’t have the knocking problem) with the early ones and work out the difference, which could then be applied to cars like mine.........

Post #498991 18th Dec 2018 8:52am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Mine was cured lately by changing the front shocks ARB bushes and a valve block... All under warranty at 5yrs old Thumbs Up

Post #499005 18th Dec 2018 10:52am
Macpaul

2019 Range Rover Vogue SE 2.0 PHEV Siberian Silver

Hi Craig and thanks for the reply.

Can I ask how long the repair has lasted - miles?

Also, you say shocks - the pneumatic struts you mean?

Best,

Simon

Post #499006 18th Dec 2018 10:55am
160dmb

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Interesting Craig - I have yet to check which valve block mine has but how did you get them to change the valve block etc on a car that old? 2016 (L405) Autobiography in Black with Ivory - for ULEZ
2014 (L405) VSE in Black with Ivory
2011 (L322) VSE in Black with Ivory
2005 (3.2 V6) Porsche Cayenne in Black with Savanna
1999 (P38) VSE in Burgundy (?) with Sand

Post #499012 18th Dec 2018 11:49am
160dmb

Second question Craig - what mileage has yours got? 2016 (L405) Autobiography in Black with Ivory - for ULEZ

Post #499013 18th Dec 2018 11:50am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Car is under JLR used car warranty and has covered 79k... the repairs were only carried out 100 or so miles ago but have transformed the ride... hope that helps?

And yes it was the whole air spring/strut assembly they changed... Condembed by the LR main dealer within 90 seconds of driving it!!! Ahem, Stafford LR told me they checked them and they were perfect 3 weeks before when I bought the car!!! 🤭

Post #499021 18th Dec 2018 2:05pm
160dmb

Thank you yes that does help - My car is also covered by the same warranty and similar(ish) mileage. 2016 (L405) Autobiography in Black with Ivory - for ULEZ

Post #499028 18th Dec 2018 2:37pm
Fleagle_UK

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Sad to say I need to add my 2014 to this ever-growing list of early cars knocking at the front.

Went to Inchcape (ex Hunters) Chester. - They replaced under the LR extended warranty all the front bushes and drop links. It's improved the road holding a little (as you would expect with new bushes) but defo still knocks. I'll be taking it back in the new year and quote the LR technical bulletin "on strong customer complaint" - whatever that means. Laughing

It's interesting that when I first took it in to be looked at I mentioned the ARC valve block known problem and strut replacements on early 405's that others have talked about/needed but the Master Tech wasn't interested. I even gave him a print of the bulletin. Sad

Post #499117 19th Dec 2018 11:08am
Maffya

I thought I would post an update since my last in November ‘17. The car went to Lloyd in Kelso after my last post, along with many print outs of posts on various forums pointing towards the same issues. They were very helpful, immediately confirming, when I showed them the video, that the lower control arms should not be moving as they clearly were. These were replaced, the remainder of the suspension and bushes etc (apparently) checked, alignment carried out and the car returned. The quality of ride was significantly improved, which you would expect from the new lower control arms alone. However very quickly it started to behave like before ie movement side to side, unstable across bumps and quite unpleasant. This was a few months after the lower control arms were replaced. Throughout the knocking / rumbling noise has remained. I have since had the wheels refurbished, which allowed me to change the tyres which although only part worn, they had worn unevenly with feathered edges etc, I think all linked to the various failed bushes over the last couple of years. I then revisited Lloyd of Kelso to check the alignment and to generally check the suspension again. The new tyres did improve the ride slightly, but I think only because they were new tyres and quieter rather than enything else. On a test drive with the workshop manager, he said that he had again updated all the software relating to suspension and he felt this had improved the ride. As always, on a test drive, the car was OK and it was hard to demonstrate the issues because (1) we only travel a short distance and (2) I am sure the technicians drive lots of cars but over short distances and without the benefit of living with a car day in day out, so I am not convinced they can pick up on the finer characteristics of the car. Nonetheless, I took the car away but it was back to normal ie unstable ride, harsh over bumps etc etc. I battled on, fed up with visiting the dealership, however after a drive from Scotland to Suffolk and back over this New Year, I had enough and contacted JLR Customer Services. The drive was not enjoyable, with the car crashing over bumps, moving about, unstable and even more exagertated, quite uncomfortably, in windy conditions. JLR have responded quickly and the car is off to Lloyd again on Tuesday. I have suggested they replace the anti roll bar system with valve, all associated bushes, air struts etc as this is clearly the fix that has worked for other customers. JLR were defensive of this and suggested we start with a test drive with the workshop manager. I suspect to be told ‘there is nothing we can find at fault and the car is as it should be’. I am close to ending my now long term relationship with JLR products if they do not at least change some parts in recognition of my concerns and the information I have given them about other customers similar experiences. My final point to add, which I have relayed to JLR and Lloyd, is that with either an empty trailer on or with a car full of passengers and luggage, the ride is great! Apologies for the ramble .......

Post #500535 4th Jan 2019 8:20pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

Rather than move away to another vehicle if no warranty success with dealerships, you could have the front struts replaced at your cost, possibly by an independent at lower cost than a dealership, as the MY13/MY14 struts are renowned for causing your ride problems although not particularly the knocking.

Does your vehicle lower to access height without faults? One extreme symptom of a failed strut is that the vehicle will raise during lowering thinking that it is resting on an obstacle because so much oil has leaked from the damper into the air-spring that the suspension is unable to lower as much as it needs to.

Post #500540 4th Jan 2019 9:00pm
Maffya

Thank you GraemeS. The suspension raises and lowers without any problems, as far as I am aware at least. I park every night with it lowered and it always goes down and stays down. I only mentioned front struts as others had mentioned that they had these replaced as part of the anti roll bar with valve renewal. I am concerned that if I have a faulty anti roll bar, it will have caused unnecessary strain on other parts. I wil though mention the struts to them on Tuesday and thank you for your suggestion. There is a very good Indy in Edinburgh!

Post #500546 4th Jan 2019 9:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>