Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tyres!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
pontypool

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Corris Grey
Tyres!

I am just about to pick-up a new (to me) Autobiography SDV8 on a 16-plate.

My current L322 has Pirelli Scorpions and only last weekend towed a friend who had got stuck in a 4x4 pick-up truck out of one of my very wet and muddy fields without issue (much to his annoyance).

The L405 Scorpions don't look anything like what I have got, but will they still work in wet fields and up snowy roads as amazingly as the old car?

If not, what are the best options?

Post #472382 13th Mar 2018 11:47am
Chalky

United Kingdom 

Are they Scorpion Verde's on your old car? They are good AW tyres. The one's on your new car may be Scorpion Zero's which are not AW, more low profile.

The best AW tyres I have had are General Grabber 2's on a Disco 4 but they don't make them in 21/22" for a Range Rover.

Post #472384 13th Mar 2018 12:02pm
pontypool

Not got the old car with me today, but am sure they used just to be called Scorpion M+S with no sort of other name, but definitely more aggressive looking off-road pattern.

The new car has 21" wheels which I am grateful for as I found the ride in others on 22" quite poor and unsettling.

Will the new Verde tyres get me out of a muddy field is really the question or do people find they are too road-orientated?

Post #472397 13th Mar 2018 1:02pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

You could get 20" wheels for the 405, either as standard or as a winter set. The LR homologated tyre that seems to have most off road potential is the Goodyear Duratrac 255/55R20, limited to about 100mph though. I have the 19" version on my 322 as winter tyres. They have been fine, and I was pleased with them in the snowy weather this winter. Road noise is a bit more and braking distances longer, handling is not as sharp as with more road focussed tyres.

Further down on the 'wheels and tyres' page you will see a discussion of the General Grabber AT3, which I think has a higher speed rating, also in 255/55R20. I have not tried them but they seem aimed at a 50:50 all terrain market.

If you are on 21" or 22" there will be fewer options with much off road potential. I have heard of 22" tyres getting punctured in off road use. Most road tyres (and associated regulations) focus on reduced rolling resistance, in the interests of lower fuel consumption and noise, I recall reading that the Scorpion Zero was replaced by the Scorpion Verde for those reasons. Alas lower rolling resistance tends to mean lower off road traction, so you have to choose where to strike the balance. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #472403 13th Mar 2018 1:14pm
pontypool

Looks like Verde are my only option as I do also want to be able to cruise across Europe at high speed as well.

Shame the "old" Scorpions aren't available as I would sacrifice a bit of on-road comfort for not getting stuck in a field.

Will get some Verde on and see how I get on and guess can always pick up some serious off-road wheels and tyres as a spare set.

Post #472407 13th Mar 2018 1:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1