Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > Airplay vs WMA1000 Tune2Air - best iPhone streamer?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Airplay vs WMA1000 Tune2Air - best iPhone streamer?

Hi guys,

I know there are fans of the WMA1000 Tune2Air but keen to hear from anyone who has got an Airplay solution working.

Phone: iphone 6 and 7, mainly 7 i.e both lightning connectors
But I don't need charging from this solution, looking for 100% wireless.

Car: I have a factory iPod port so I can plug in:

1.WMA1000 Tune2Air
Pros: Track info etc, pretends it's a iPod
Steering wheel controls will work (is that correct?)
Cons: Audio quality - I've never been convinced of bluetooth's audio abilities

2. Dolry HiFi Stone S - 30 pin AirPlay adapter
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dolry-HiFi-Stone-...ay+adaptor
Pros: Plugs into the 30-pin socket
AirPlay
Cons: Not sure if steering wheel controls will work
Don't think there will be any track info
Is anyone using one of these?

3. One of those WiFi AudioCast Dongles, e.g. Neet or:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WiFi-Wireless-Mu...SwWTRWy0l2
Pros: AirPlay
Cons: Not sure if steering wheel controls will work
Don't think there will be any track info

Any thoughts or experiences, particularly on Option 2 or 3 i.e. AirPlay side?

Thanks a lot,
Greg Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #456197 5th Nov 2017 7:37am
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

The audio quality over the tune 2 air is perfectly good. I’m not sure on the airplay solutions, but I think you are right in that the steering wheel controls might not work.

I had another different BT adapter before I got the tune2air and it didn’t work at all. It might be worth a shot to try an airplay solution, but personally I would just get the tune2air as it does what it says on the tin and sounds good. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #456204 5th Nov 2017 8:34am
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

Airplay is higher quality than Bluetooth. So an AirPlay solution would be better.

However, I have both the WMA and the Dolry (which I use on a B&W Zeppelin). I couldn’t get the Dolry to work at all in the same way my WMA did. Admittedly this was in my Aston rather than the Rangie.

Also, I’m not sure it will connect automatically as Bluetooth does.

If you are near me in Cambridge then you are welcome to come and play with both.

Post #456207 5th Nov 2017 9:16am
GGDR

Cheers chaps. EM - I'm unlikely to be near you but a very very kind offer, thank you very much.

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Post #456218 5th Nov 2017 11:22am
horse86

United States 2014 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Causeway Grey

Tune2 Air sounds excellent. I'm running it on 2 autos 2014 FF Autobiography 5.0 SC
2008 FFRR (sold)
2008 BMW M5

Post #456351 6th Nov 2017 4:07pm
Lee Marsh

England 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

Apple TV could be an AirPlay solution as well. Problem may be the fibre optic is only output rather than through, breaking the MOST chain.

The other aspect is the MOST fibre optic speed, which may not sync up.

Could however be a way to stream audio and possibly even mirror phone onto screen.

I’ve a couple of 3rd gen Apple TVs kicking about (and an old 1st gen w/ built in hard drive).

Many people who’ve upgraded to 4th gen and or 4K, use the older Apple TVs as AirPlay for home audio and surround speakers for tv, like audio outs with Netflix etc.

There may well be a way to connect to fibre optic audio as Apple TV uses audio optical outs

Sorry if this just adds further confusion #justsaying

Post #457174 13th Nov 2017 8:13pm
GGDR

So Santa brought me a Dolry.

But turns out the RR head unit won't connect to it. Looks like Santa (Amazon) will get it back.

It plugs in using the 30-pin iPod lead. But the head unit says Connection Error No problems connecting an old iPod so I know the lead and system work ok.

Has anyone got a Dolry unit working on a 2010-12 MY ?

Emperor Mong you mentioned you used it on your Aston, did you ever try your on your FF?

Greg Cheers, Greg

Post #462280 27th Dec 2017 8:48am
northernmonkeyjones

Have tried a couple of streamers and the only one I’ve managed to make work is the tune2air, granted the others were just cheap BT affairs. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #462288 27th Dec 2017 9:58am
GGDR

So sent back the Dolry Stone.

I didn't want bluetooth so I ordered a Neet instead.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet®-Wireless-Receiver-wireless-streaming/dp/B00O0U37HO/ref=pd_sbs_107_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4DJP71QXDJFQ3ZT1M56T

Here's a summary:
- Airplay so sound quality is great and I can now play music off my iphone7
- Half the price of the Dolry
- Connects through the 3.5 AUX input
- Doesn't interfere with, in fact works well with the iPhone bluetooth. When you get or make a call it pauses the music automatically and the bluetooth routes the call through the in-built LR hands-free system.
- Volume works off the steering wheel
- But no track control off the steering wheel
- However my iPhone mount is right above the head unit (on a magnet fitting) so you reach quite easily to the phone and control track skips etc there.
- Main downside at the moment: Connects via iOS Airplay but downside of this is that it then latches the phone's wifi connection to the Neet, which it thinks is a Wifi Hotspot. So can't get data while it's playing music. EDIT: NOW FIXED SEE BELOW I probably should read the manual. The Dolry I think can cope with this, so I need to solve that one if I'm keeping the Neet.

If I can solve that last one it'll be a good solution. Will report back.

Greg Cheers, Greg

Last edited by GGDR on 22nd May 2018 12:54pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #463447 5th Jan 2018 7:46pm
northernmonkeyjones

Possible solution if you can iron the snags out. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #463451 5th Jan 2018 7:56pm
longmanh

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

I'm trying to find a solution that works as well as the Tune2Air but struggling.

Did you manage to iron out the defects of the Neet adaptor?

Post #472671 15th Mar 2018 8:17am
GGDR

Nah I haven't read the manual yet!
Sterotypical I know! Rolling Eyes

Slightly distracted because I found my old 80GB iPod classic and it's full of some old music I'm still working my way through. Once I get bored of that I'll fire up the Neet again and try to trouble shoot.

When these kind of devices work at home, they wifi piggyback to your home router. Which is online. And your phone also latches to that. So your phone stays online.

But in the car you only have the Neet and a phone and no router so the phone latches to the Neet. Which has no data connection.

I need to see if the Neet can then latch back in a circle to the phone which, with the phone as a HotSpot might work. Or I find a way to get the phone to use wifi for the Airplay without latching to the Neet for data.

Way too much IT for me, but I'll give it a go.

Happy to get any tips..... Whistle Whistle Whistle

. Cheers, Greg

Post #472727 15th Mar 2018 7:58pm
GGDR

An update from my last post: I found out how to get the Neet to work on Airplay, whilst leaving the phone's 4G data connection:

INSTRUCTIONS

STEP ONE
Connect the Neet AirStream to power via the USB cable and USB charging point. Allow the device to startup and display its wifi network on your iOS device. Using your iOS device, navigate to settings > wifi, then connect to the NEETt wifi.

STEP TWO
The instruction manual will tell you the IP address of the NEET device. My manual says 192.168.222.254, but please check yours as it may be different.

Using your iOS device, open a web browser and type this in. From here, you can change the name of the network and device name to your preference. For example, you may wish to name it as 'Car AirPlay'. Once you've made these changes, move on to step three.

STEP THREE
Using your iOS device, navigate to your wifi settings. To the right side of the NEET wifi network name, you'll see a blue 'i' inside of a blue circle. Tap on this and have a pen ready. Under the IP ADDRESS details, you'll see a tab called DHCP. Note down the IP Address AND Subnet Mask ONLY.

Once you've done this, you need to tap on the 'Static' tab. You now need to manually enter the IP Address and Subnet Mask details that you've written down. You should leave all other details blank (Router, DNS etc). Tap the back button at the top left to return to the wifi list.

If you follow these steps successfully, you will now see that you are connected to the NEET device with a message to say there is no internet connection. You should also see that your phone indicates that you are connected to your mobile network on 3g/4g (at the top of your phone screen).

This means that your iOS device is connected to the wifi of the NEET device, but the settings you've entered above will instruct your phone to use the mobile data service.

You are now free to stream music from any source, using the AirPlay menu to select the NEET AirPlay function.

To test, simply connect an audio cable from the back of your NEET device to some speakers and then play music from your phone, with the device selected from your AirPlay menu. Once you're happy that it works as you expect, you can then install it in the car by feeding USB power and Aux cable from the device to your stereo.

Please be aware, you can follow the above instructions for as many iOS devices as you wish. If you have two or more devices connected to the NEET wifi at any one time, you may see an error saying you can't connect to Airplay. Just be sure to disconnect all devices from the wifi, other than the one you wish to use and you shouldn't have any issues. If you only want to setup one device, you're not likely to run in to this issue.

These instructions apply to iOS. I don't have experience with Android so can't offer advice for this, but the principle should still be the same.

This was posted on an amazon review and works allowing streamed music to be pumped through the RR sound system via Airplay.

. Cheers, Greg

Post #479136 22nd May 2018 12:50pm
thrillcat

United States 2012 Range Rover HSE 5.0 V8 Santorini Black

gonna_go_double_r wrote:

Here's a summary:
- Airplay so sound quality is great and I can now play music off my iphone7
Greg

If you're plugging in via the 3.5mm aux jack, you're not getting AirPlay sound quality. The aux jack is a drop in quality compared to the direct (digital) iPod connection of the Bovee/WMA1000.

The aux jack is adding a conversion from digital to analog, then back to digital inside the head unit. 2012 L322 5.0l NA
Santorini Black / Sand

Post #479155 22nd May 2018 7:33pm
GGDR

I think you're right thrillcat, I've not been using the NEET for a while, only yesterday when I solved that IP issue. The quick blast I gave it sounded a bit flat compared to the old iPod I've also got hooked up.

I was wondering at the time if I'd scrimped on the NEET vs say an Apple unit - but your explanation makes sense.

I'll give it a work out again tomorrow and then go from there.

I'd gone, as you pointed out, for the airplay because of sound quality but if that's pointless because of the 3.5 jack then I may as well go for the bluetooth. It's a shame in that case the Dolry didn't work which fed in through the iPod jack.

. Cheers, Greg

Post #479171 23rd May 2018 4:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>