Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Diff and transfer box oil - change or leave it?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mrblonde

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue
Diff and transfer box oil - change or leave it?

I asked years ago but never got round to it, but now I have more free time I've decided to give the FF the love she deserves (and that is long overdue).
She's done 115k miles, I've owned her for 8 years and to my knowledge shes never had the diff oils or transfer box oil changed, if i do them am I likely to encounter any issues once done, something maybe a lack of oil change has been hiding?

Or could she do with all 3 being changed? I'll be doing them myself so hoping I can do them with her in the raised setting

Post #473538 23rd Mar 2018 4:06am
p38arover

Australia 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

I'd do all three. It's easy enough if you've got a hoist. I did mine recently. I did buy a small hand pump. Unfortunately, while it was designed to screw onto a 1 litre oil container, it didn't - but we bodged something. If you are buying, make sure it will fit the containers.

The transfer case uses a more expensive fluid than the front and rear diffs.

Make sure you can undo the filler plugs before draining. Ron B. VK2OTC
2004 L322 V8 Auto
2007 Yamaha XJR1300
Previous: 1983, 1986 RRC; 1995, 1996 P38A; 1995 Disco1; 1984 V8 County 110; Series IIA

Post #473541 23rd Mar 2018 5:15am
Pawl

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Cairns Blue

I agree, do it.
Ignore all suggestions of sealed for life - that's one of Land Rover's methods to reduce the "cost of ownership" measures used by fleet owners.

None of them are difficult to do, but make sure you are using the correct spec & quality oils.
I've done them all on our 2006 TDV8 on our drive recently with the suspension raised, but supported with blocks for safety.
I did however use ramps to gain more clearance underneath to get to the transfer box. Didn't try without the ramps, so don't know if there's enough height underneath.

As mentioned, always loosen the filler plugs before draining, it ensures you've got the correct tools & that you can fill up after you've drained the old oil. Sometimes previous ham-fisted "mechanics" can have rounded off the corners of the hex or torx features or overtightened them. Relatively low risk though at that milage as it's unlikely to have been touched before.
Beware some cars have hex drives, some torx or a mix. Ours was a mix! Paul,
2001 Discovery 2 TD5, 211,000 miles & climbing
2006 FFRR TDV8 Vogue 145,000 miles & climbing
Member of Midland (Land) Rover Owners Club, www.mroc.co.uk

Post #473559 23rd Mar 2018 10:00am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1