Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Next generation FFRR
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Wizard

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Waitomo Grey
Next generation FFRR

Apologies if this has been discussed, I have searched but haven't been successful in finding a thread that discusses this topic.
After trawling the internet I have found snippets of information that cover the presumed date if the next generation FFRR, 2021/22 was mentioned. The last LR representative that I spoke to about this subject said that he doubts very much that it will be so soon as LR are concentrating on increasing their product range.

Given that the mid cycle face lift has just been introduced I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of you guys and girls.

Last edited by Wizard on 28th Mar 2018 6:08am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #474092 27th Mar 2018 8:49pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

I could imagine the MY2021 being an all new FFRR, yes. MY2018 refresh is to keep L405 competitive for the remaining few years. But L405 is definitely next in line for replacement to my mind. Not that any LR rep will be talking about it yet. They’ll leave it as late as possible and dealers will be near last to know.

It won’t stop me ordering an L405 this year but by 2020 I’d be reluctant to do the same for fear of missing out.

Post #474094 27th Mar 2018 9:10pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Somewhere between 3 and 5 years from now - so MY21 is the short end of the spectrum IMHO - as above, they won’t advertise it, but the spy shots will be appearing in magazines with increasingly less camo

Post #474102 27th Mar 2018 9:35pm
Wizard

This is a very interesting article, seems to have a lot of decent info about LR's future plans. www.just-auto.com/analysis/analysis-land-r...77917.aspx

Post #474104 27th Mar 2018 9:41pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Hmmmm a Velar SVR could be very tempting - I do have a bit of a soft spot for the Velar - and now the kids have left home, I don’t really need a FF any more Confused

Post #474105 27th Mar 2018 9:49pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Given LR’s recent change in design direction, from being practical to styling driven (function is now following form), this is something that I’m not looking forward to, especially as (Velar excluded) the styling can be terrible! Shocked

Post #474116 28th Mar 2018 4:05am
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Apparently Ratan Tata asked "why does Design report to Engineering?" and now that is no longer the case. Not that I am the guardian of Spen King's legacy, but I'd also be keen to see practicality getting greater priority. The new Defender next year will be indicative of the direction of travel.

On the normal 10-year cycle the "new RR" should be due 2022, and with the changeover from Ford engines there will presumably be more focus on electric/hybrid. On which topic I was hearing that a Tesla that was meant to get about 300 miles of range was in fact getting about 120 in the recent cold weather, as the battery was below its efficient temperature range, plus no doubt heater and lights on etc. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #474149 28th Mar 2018 12:22pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

A couple of weeks ago, I could imagine FFRR were on a limited life span, and I was planning to get one in before the end in a few years time...OR indeed switch to elec, press a button and I would get to where I wanted to go.

BUT

This article posted elsewhere in the forum makes we think that’s all cloud cuckoo land and the FFRRdiesel 4.4plus engine has a long life ahead of it...

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industr...-two-years

There is serious doubt the electricity generators will be able to make enough lecky, and the recharging points are so few and far apart electric faces a doubtful future unless there are some major breakthru’s

Sorry for not being specific about when the next one is coming out...but the above is part of the mix. Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #474151 28th Mar 2018 12:35pm
Wizard

Very interesting article thanks for sharing.
www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com...-cars-2020
It seems like JLR are firmly set on heading down the electric/hybrid route very soon......

Post #474152 28th Mar 2018 12:39pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

Yes wizard, but the other article is a real game changer..... and the switch to electric hybrid and and was , I assume, all decided before this technology was anounced..

If I were JLR I would be reconsidering my position.. as brand leader(debatable) in FFanythings... is it wise to give up and go treehugging, when there is a technology waiting to be exploited, and that then fits in with my existing customer base.

If I were a major petrol supplier I would be throwing bundles of money at it.

Bill Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #474154 28th Mar 2018 12:50pm
Wizard

Bill, I totally agree with you and hope that JLR make a U-turn and decide to stay with diesel. I can only imagine customers leaving the brand if they decide to stick to their plan. Interesting times ahead for sure....

Post #474155 28th Mar 2018 12:56pm
cliff5.0sc

I think I've seen them being tested. OffRoadRover.com An American Western Range Rover Off Road Blog

Post #474752 3rd Apr 2018 10:26pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Let's be honest here people...
To comply with this all they have to do is chuck in a puny leccy motor and a tiny few kWh of battery pack... I'm thinking along the lines of the Prius or Yaris hybrids... If you get 4miles out of it it's a hybrid.. wooo and emmissions and all magically drop...

But with the new way to get mpg recorded, wltp is it? They will need a bigger and better battery pack and motor to do that. So by this time for a new rangey, even if it is 300kg lighter by that revision, it will be the same wieght near enough as they will need at least a 30kwh battery pack to make a decent dent in the fuel tests and for the performance deficit.

Call me a sceptic but a battery pack of that size is going to weigh a bit in a small package that they can fit under the rear of the car say, with thermal and BMS and the motor/gen that it will be used on in Hybrid form.

Full electric is different as the ipace running gear can just be picked up and modified to fit. A bigger pack will be a good to have, maybe getting upto 130/40 kWh giving the amount of space under an FF floorpan would be much greater and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a funky frunk compared to ICE versions where the grille is part of the bonnet so you can put more Harrods shipping bags upfront.
Don't forget JLR are entering a sales dip now. I don't envisage this ending soon if they are continuing to expand the range of vehicles more to make up for the FF sales dropping so much with cheaper versions. A few of us have said this before but they really shouldn't have started extending the range sooo much and the delay of defender after it was killed hasn't helped matters at all as that was a huge continual customer base wiped out like the Disco comercial one 😥😥 FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #475966 15th Apr 2018 11:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1