Home > Technical (L322) > 2003 TD6 dash indicators
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
24valve

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Santorini Black
2003 TD6 dash indicators

Hi All

Our 2003 TD6 has a weird fault at the moment. Basically, a couple of weeks ago I started it up and the GPS/Sat nav unit went back to looking like a 1980 BBC micro (all blocky graphics and GPS menu missing). I didn't think too much of it until the next day it wouldn't power up at all, and keeps cycling the range rover splash screen and then going completely black. This, in itself is easy to live without, however on the same second drive I happen to notice that the dashboard indicators for the actual indicators, as well as main beam dont work. They do work on the outside though as normal, as does the gauge illumination, computer readout and gauges fine. Oddly, I know I have an air suspension pump failure at the moment, but this message has stopped appearing in the dash display. almost like its not talking to the modules to access the info.

I did a bit of googling and there was reports of fuse 49 blowing, water in the GPS units at the back, or a stuffed LCM module. So, firstly I looked at ALL of the connections in the boot (not just the GPS unit) and sure enough found corrosion on some of the pins in the connectors. I unplugged and re plugged in them all, and doused them with contact cleaner, but this didn't help. I then checked and replaced fuse 49, and that was all o.k, as was fuse 1, 5, 45 and 46 (which relate to dash lights). I then bought a second hand LCM, which disappointingly showed up in worse condition than mine (mine was straight, no rust on the heatsinks etc and good case), but nevertheless, thought it might do something different, but alas - its not made any difference at all.

I have the hawkeye plugged in but this doesn't reveal anything to worry about either. Main battery is fully charged and kept optimised with an optimate thing.

Anyone got any other suggestions? - otherwise does anyone know of any good L322 auto electricians that could fix it? doesn't really matter where, but closer to Cornwall the better.

Cheers

Neil. 2010 L322 Autobiography Black Edition
1975 Land Rover

Post #475408 10th Apr 2018 7:36pm
Joe90

England 

Almost started my reply with a "hooray" but that isn't really fitting.

At last, I am not alone, and neither are you. I have had the same problem for quite some time.

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic37575.html

As you will see never really got to the bottom of it, and it keeps coming back, even if it lasted 9 months or so until last week.

If you make any progress on this one, let me know Thumbs Up .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #475428 10th Apr 2018 10:12pm
24valve

Hi Joe90

Thanks for the information. I've read your thread, and I think I came across that before.

Today, took out all the boot connections and resprayed them with contact cleaner and reseated - bloody thing still playing up.

We've had a sunny day in Cornwall today, so I've left it in the drive with the windows and boot open on the off-chance it might find something that's wet and dry out.

..but in reality, I think I need to find a man that can, then sell it in favour of a tdv8.

I'll keep you posted if I find anything, for sure.

1975 Land Rover

Post #475515 11th Apr 2018 6:31pm
24valve

Just as a small update...

Having put the car on my hawkeye and a carsoft scanner, they didn't reveal anything untoward, other than a couple of odd communication problems. I then looked at Rave and sort of had an idea that the ibus/canbus wire can be found running through the systems including the amp/bm54/TV module/GPS drive and instrument display, but didn't really know where to go from here.

I then decided that whilst it looked like it was screwed anyway, took apart the GPS dvd drive and found excessive corrosion on the circuits, and then promptly ordered another drive. The replacement didn't make any difference.

I then took out the TV module...found the same thing....ordered another one....and that didn't help either.

I then got in contact with Baris at Carphonics, explained all of the above, and then basically asking that if I bought the car to him, if the BM54 module wasn't duff, if he (or someone he knows) could trace the ACTUAL fault.

However, he asked two questions - one, if I remove the BM54, does the problem remain, and secondly what happened if I tried disconnecting all of the boot modules.

whilst waiting for the replies from him I got fed up (not with Baris...he's a diamond) and disconnected the battery and pulled every single connector out of all of the modules. I left it over night and then reconnected the battery. Low and behold, although the battery was by this stage nearly flat, the dash lights, messages and everything else was working again...All the modules in the boot disconnected, so obviously I didn't have nav/radio etc.

I then plugged in everything one by one, trying it as I went along, and everything was fine until I plugged in the DSP AMP (part number XQK000030) and sure enough the dash starting Censored about again. to be sure, I plugged in and out a couple of times and have now got the nav screen to fire up properly, but with it still plugged in the dash lights don't work and neither do I have any sound.

So, the conclusion at this stage is that the DSP amp is screwed. I took it out, and took the covers off and apart from some light corrosion on the bottom of the unit, it does appear dry and in good nick. I got my multimeter on all of the pins leading to the circuit board and they all test for continuity, but that's about my limit of understanding what could be wrong with it.

I have asked Baris if this is something he can repair and an awaiting an answer as a replacement is expensive, but it does look like bba reman can exchange it, or back to ebay I go.

fingers crossed and all that! 2010 L322 Autobiography Black Edition
1975 Land Rover

Post #478064 11th May 2018 5:22pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

I may have a dsp amp for you. Will get a pic of the connectors and post it on this thread.

Post #478073 11th May 2018 6:29pm
24valve

That would be amazing if you have - I also note you are in SW - whereabouts?. Let me know how much you want for it..

Cheers

1975 Land Rover

Post #478083 11th May 2018 7:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1