Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > L405 seats = numb backside, this normal? - 2018 any better?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
aja500

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Aruba
L405 seats = numb backside, this normal? - 2018 any better?

I've recently bought a 2016/66 plate FFRR AB which I absolutely love - However, earlier this week my wife and I drove from Yorkshire to West Sussex and by the time we got there both our backsides were numb!

The return journey was even worse, as we spent the day visiting several areas in the South East. All in all we were in the car for about 7 hours that day and by the time we got home I could hardly walk!

I'm really disappointed as these seats really do seem quite firm and if every long drive is going to result in this, then the car's going to have to go.

By comparison we also have an old L322 2007MY, which we drove from England to Corfu some years ago, we spent literally hours in their without problem - Just like your favourite armchair.

Am I missing something with the set up of these seats? Will they soften over time, or are they renowned for being uncomfortable?

I know the 2018MY now has a new seat design, has anyone done a long journey in one yet and are they any better?

Post #476386 21st Apr 2018 4:38am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

If you find it a problem, take a tip from some wheelchair users and put a nice thick sheepskin over the seat squab. It even looks the part too! Thumbs Up

Post #476387 21st Apr 2018 5:49am
ABAB

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Sorry to hear of this experience.

I’ve also got a 2016 Autobiography.

Seat comfort was the number one reason for buying this car. I make regular trips from SE England to NE Scotland so 10 hour journeys make seat comfort really important. I’ve got rid of a number of cars in the past just because of seats.

I’ve found these the most comfortable seats in any car I’ve ever had.

I went for the AB really to get the massage function but with hindsight I’m not sure this really adds to anything.

Have heard that MY18 seats are quite different - saw one the other day (not to sit in) and the seat base design looks as though it would feel very different.

Might be worth trying to sit in another AB to compare? 2016 SDV8 AB

Post #476393 21st Apr 2018 8:13am
aja500

Thanks ABAB and Red Merle, maybe the seats will give a bit over time.

I've just learned I've got a 2018MY FFRR coming on loan for a few days next week, so will respond with my thoughts, although I'm not sure I've got any long journeys planned next week - Still, I should be able to get some idea.

Post #476399 21st Apr 2018 8:58am
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

The 2018 seats do seem more comfortable, I tried sitting in a 2018 VSE followed by a 2017 Vogue. The 2018 car was immediately comfortable, the Vogue seemed uncomfortable by comparison, but the SE and AB spec seats will be softer and more comfortable than Vogue. That said I find my 2017 AB seats comfortable enough, though have not tried full days of driving yet. They seem quite similar to the 2012 WM except a bit narrower at the top, and the WM was fine for all day driving.

You might find that adjusting the seat so that the front of the seat base is a bit higher and the back more reclined spreads your weight a bit more, so it is not so concentrated on your bottom. I also thought my 2004 322 seats 'broke in' a bit over time, perhaps the seat base foam moulds to the shape and normal seating position of the user.

The most comfortable seats I have known were in my P38 Vogue 4.6. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #476404 21st Apr 2018 9:47am
CJB1000

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV6 Santorini Black

I can confirm that the 2018 vogue has a completely different seat to the outgoing middle, with more foam padding and even greater comfort. I must admit that I have not had any complaints with the comfort of the standard SE seats fitted to my 2015 FFRR. CJ.

Post #476413 21st Apr 2018 2:01pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

@aja500

Have you slid the squab / base as far forward as you find comfortable ? As this enables you to sit on the softer part of the base. Note not sliding the seat forward ~ just the squab itself 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #476424 21st Apr 2018 4:37pm
aja500

Thank you all for your comments - I'll definitely try adjusting the seat as CS and Vogue suggest.

Many thanks again

Post #476425 21st Apr 2018 4:45pm
Lonfred

Spain 2017 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Carpathian Grey

Just changed from an Vogue MY17 to an MY18 an my opinion is that the seats in the MY18 is much more confortable than the one in MY17. The base in the MY17 was really short and did not fit my long legs at all. The MY18 base is a bit longer so that’s good.

Post #476437 21st Apr 2018 8:31pm
CMJ

2015 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Santorini Black

Vogue wrote:
@aja500

Have you slid the squab / base as far forward as you find comfortable ? As this enables you to sit on the softer part of the base. Note not sliding the seat forward ~ just the squab itself

When we first got our 2013 AB I complained of a numb backside. As above the seat squab moves forwards and back and I have found that if you move forward you sit on the rear edge which is hard instead of the centre of the squab. Fixed the problem for me and now having had the car for 2 years I can confirm the seats are more comfortable than any l322 we have had. 2013 L405 AB 4.4SDV8 Luxor/Ivory, 2007 Vogue TDV8 Epson Green/Sand, 2008 Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue/Sand, 2003 Vogue 4.4 LPG Epsom Green/Sage, 1998 Vogue SE 4.6 LPG Epsom Green/Cream

Post #476456 22nd Apr 2018 8:49am
Montys 4x4

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Carpathian Grey

Hi, I've covered 6K in my 17.5 MY AB and longest journey about 3.5 hours I have taken the advice from another forum whereby you set a couple of alternative seat positions on the memory buttons and change the settings when you start to feel a bit uncomfortable during your journey. I also have the massage function set to auto setting (hidden in the depth of settings) and am always pleasantly surprised when this kicks in.....
Now I've had a few Range rovers and I owned a 2004 Vogue at the same time as a 2012 Westminster L322 run out edition I also still owned the 2004 for a few months overlapping the new L405 AB and the verdict is - the 2004 Vogue seats were the best of the lot, I even told JLR the same when I had a survey come through after purchasing the L405 (perhaps they actually read it and modeled the 2018 seats on the 2004 seats?).
The 2004 Vogue had seats that were able to adjust fwd and aft midway up the seat back, it also had wider side bolsters best of all it had thicker leather which made it far more luxurious than the 2012 and 2017 models and apart from wear and tear on the drivers plastic side trim looked new after 13 plus years and 140,000 miles use.
I missed out on having a new L405 18 MY on my recent Lode lane driver experience session to get any sort of comparison although after 3.5 hours of fairly extreme driving seat comfort was not an issue. They are running one new and one 17.5 MY so please remember when heading to LR experience sessions to specify the RR 18 MY to avoid disappointment while they go through upgrading the experience fleet.
Of course seat comfort is also going to be variable on the size and shape of the person sitting in them, personally I found the Porsche Cayenne and Macan sport seats very very uncomfortable on anything over half an hours driving but they were excellent for throwing the big 4x4s around the Porsche Silverstone handling track. I eventually ordered both a Cayenne and a Macan with the comfort seats which for my stature were excellent but you start taking bendy roads with some gusto and my nether regions do slide about a bit.
Try 17 hours in an economy chair on Qatar airways from Auckland to Doha, half hours run through the terminal and another 7 hours Doha to Heathrow now that is *um numbing.......

Paul Journey started in a LR2B at 16 and has incl. just about every Land Rover, Disco, RRS and Range Rover Vehicle owned or driven, I even worked for the company when it was owned by BAe - It must be a madness!!! because to add to my 4.4 TDV8 Westminister In Baltic Blue I bought a second L322 as a commuter bus, TD6 2004 Vogue in Oslo Blue with cream leather now both gone replaced with what could turn out to be my biggest mistake. Carpathian Grey ivory interior 3.0 tdv6 Autobiog. 2017

Post #476528 23rd Apr 2018 10:49am
aja500

Thanks all, in particular Montys 4x4 for your detailed reply.

I also previously owned a 2004 Vogue and still own a 2007MY 4.4 Petrol Vogue and I have to agree, the seats in both have been supremely comfortable.

The 2018MY loan car arrived today, although I've only driven it to work and back (5 mile round trip) - First impressions:

1. The seats are definitely more comfortable than the 2016MY, with more padding on both the base and the back support, together with a wider seat frame.
2. The steering seems considerably lighter and easier to turn when parking, or shifting to full lock
3. The camera when reversing displays a much better, clearer picture quality
4. The stereo system sounds better than the one fitted to my Autobiography
5. The car seems quieter under acceleration
6. The car seems to deliver a smoother drive in general (both cars are on 22 inch wheels)
7. The tactile feel of the volume controls on the steering wheel are very nice

I've only driven approximately 5 miles so far, a longer drive will tell more but first impressions are very good Thumbs Up

Post #476677 24th Apr 2018 7:29pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

It is a superb car and I've noticed all the things you mentioned, especially the quiet in the cabin.

What engine has the loan car, mine is the TDV6. Has more than enough power too, even better than the Disco 4 with the same engine and the take off lag at junctions also seems to have been fixed.

Post #476687 24th Apr 2018 9:07pm
aja500

Hi Chalky, the car they've brought me is actually an SDV8 as is mine, but still seems quieter.

Glad you noticed those differences too. You may recall I cancelled my initial 5.0 SC AB 2018MY order due to Land Rover quoting July delivery date (ordered September last year!), although I think I'm almost certainly going to order another one now - The 2016 will see me through until then.

Post #476699 25th Apr 2018 2:49am
Nidge

United Kingdom 

We recently bought a 2017 facelift model Vogue and we both find the seats a little too firm so followed advice on here from Red Merle and we have found and ordered these. not the cheapest but nor is a RR.

Quality comes at a cost

This is a link to some real quality sheepskin seat covers

https://www.sheepskinshop.co.uk/product-ca...at-covers/

Post #563769 6th Aug 2020 11:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>