Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Mercedes G-Wagen
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Doonhamer

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Santorini Black
Mercedes G-Wagen

Just an observation - I don't often drive into London but we had to take our granddaughters back to Victoria last weekend so thought it would be good to make use of the lack of congestion charge at the weekend, especially with the amount of 'stuff' that had to go back with them. I was surprised at the number of G-Wagens that we saw on the journey from Thatcham to Westminster; there must have been 5 or 6 of them, all of them black. Are they trying to wrest the crown of "top Chelsea tractor" from JLR? They were still well outnumbered by Range Rovers, but I can't remember the last time I saw one before the weekend.

Second observation - still haven't seen a forum sticker, even with all those Rangies in the capital . . . . . Sad L322 TDV8 4.4 - current
L322 TD6 - sold
Disco 2 TD5 - sold
Suzuki Grand Vitara XL7 - sold
Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8 - part ex'd
Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0 td - sold
Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8 - sold

Post #476717 25th Apr 2018 12:06pm
paulbrown22

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Supercharged 5.0 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

Yes, quite a few around, pretty much all in black, grey or white. Not a very imaginative colour palette! Mainly the AMG V8 ones, although I did see a 350 diesel somewhere around last week.

I guess so many people have RR's, these give a more more individuality, kind of like the souped up Defenders being discussed on another thread! The owners probably have an FFRR as well when they need something a bit more practical or comfortable!

I've always driven Defenders around London, and only just swapped to an FFRR. Interestingly the previous owner of my vehicle (also London based) was only selling it to swap to a souped up Khan Defender!

Post #476720 25th Apr 2018 1:31pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

A few G's around and I pulled up behind the freighter GL version tonight as it happens. But they're no FF - there's more FF's in black alone in central London than G's. FF's are as common a Transits and black cabs here and the royals drive around in them for the camouflage effect, just so they blend in from a security POV! Smile Those G-Wagon guys would had a FF if they could, I guess they need to work just a little bit harder Evil or Very Mad Smile Smile Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #476741 25th Apr 2018 8:06pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Have you not seen how much a decent AMG G Wagon costs these days......... Not sure about their drivers wanting a FF... Most could move to a FF and have a big pot left over sir Whistle

Post #476756 25th Apr 2018 11:07pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I'm just not into Mercs as you may have gathered! I did get limo'd in a GL and it just felt like a giant C or E-Class. Very nice but I find all the Germans suffer from their consistent design approach across their ranges meaning whether you sit in a C, E, S, ML etc - they all feel the same which equals pretty boring in my opinion. Same for BMW and Audis. Jump in a FF and it feels so special. I guess as the Range Rover range expands they may possibly suffer the same fate.

Interestingly, in many recent tests, Top Gear et all have done comparisons of the Bentley vs top end Range Rover. I haven't seen the AMG GL compared in this league and I think that's a perception thing. Range Rover's have just held that king of the 4x4's for so long and it's only the Bentley seems to be the one that's making some ask who's the new king.

This is a friendly forum so I wish all GL or any Merc owners or any German make for that matter, the best of luck. They just haven't driven a Range Rover yet. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #476758 25th Apr 2018 11:53pm
Doonhamer

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

Just had a look on AutoTrader for G-Wagen and set it to 'Show most expensive first' - there's a dealer in Mayfair selling a G63 5.5 AMG 4x4 (according to the title) for just £725,000, and there's umpteen pictures of a black 6x6 with a fairly impressive spec list. At the other end of the scale, even an 88 F reg goes for just under £15,000.
They're certainly eye-catching, but to me there's something vaguely Eastern European about them, and certainly not enough to drag me away from my TD6. L322 TDV8 4.4 - current
L322 TD6 - sold
Disco 2 TD5 - sold
Suzuki Grand Vitara XL7 - sold
Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8 - part ex'd
Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0 td - sold
Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8 - sold

Post #476768 26th Apr 2018 6:45am
GP 225

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

Think you’re getting confused.
G Wagen not the same as GL........

Post #476769 26th Apr 2018 6:48am
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

There are loads out in the Middle East and were plenty driving around in Abu Dhabi when I as working out there. All AMG's.

I much prefer the older, utilitarian models before the G-Wagen became blingy. A mid-80's / early 90's 5-door 300D is particularly appealing and I could happily own one alongside my SC, 110 and Series III. Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #476799 26th Apr 2018 9:32am
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

^ Agreed.

We don’t get sensible G Wagens with Diesel engines and high profile tyres. Instead they’re all AMG versions with huge V8 petrol engines and 0 profile tyres. A G is probably one of the vehicles that benefit the lease from huge increases in power. A nice V6 and good tyres and they can go anywhere. Huge engines and slicks - what’s the Point?

Post #477149 29th Apr 2018 8:40pm
cliff5.0sc

not to be contrarian but I'd like a forced induction G wagon for off-roading. 1) you lose 3% of power for every 1k feet 2) big tires, rock sliders, brush bar, winches all weigh quite a lot.

Lots of the discos I would offroad with couldn't keep up with the 65-70mph speed limits on i70 through the mountains in CO. OffRoadRover.com An American Western Range Rover Off Road Blog

Post #477329 2nd May 2018 1:36am
gg2201

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

G Wagons are seen as one of the "Celebrity" cool cars.

TBF locally to us there is a lovely G500 with the registration G2 WGN and the owner literally babies it and its quite different here compared to all the beat up Defenders/Discos here.

Having spent a fair bit of time in LA G Wagons are literally 2 a penny that and Tesla Model S. Sadly we do follow the trends of the USA hence now everyone's love for an SUV albeit it most of them are absolute junk.... Rolling Eyes

However what you cannot beat is the sound of an AMG, so on that front you can't complain listening to them rumble past you. Very Happy

Post #477660 6th May 2018 10:19pm
cliff5.0sc

not the biggest fan of electric cars (although the drivers area in tesla are emf shielded) but 0-60 in 2 seconds is fantastic. OffRoadRover.com An American Western Range Rover Off Road Blog

Post #478713 17th May 2018 6:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1