Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Warning- engine oil dillution with diesel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Montys 4x4

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Carpathian Grey
Warning- engine oil dillution with diesel

If your 3.0 TDV6 calls up an early oil service its possibly due to the extra diesel added as part of the DPF regeneration contaminating your engine oil, yesterday my own 17.5 My TDV6 went in for this early oil service warning (came on at 5880 miles but took a few weeks to get an appointment so now at 7K plus). I mentioned other owners were experiencing this early oil service warning and wanted a full explanation as to the issue. the dealership mentioned that there could be a dilution issue (watering down in my books) with the oil being contaminated by extra diesel added to the fuel system as part of the DPF regeneration system. The sum sensor picks up the poor quality oil (in other industries this is from an increased oil temperature reading) and calls out for an oil change. My dilution level necessitated an oil change and I was told this was not covered by warranty so would be charged as it was possibly due to my driving style of short journeys not allowing the regeneration process to fully complete.
My closest supermarket is 8 miles away 5 miles to my nearest fuel station and I work 50 miles away from my rural home thus my RR never has a short journey. So I refused to pay for the oil change and eventually the dealership agreed to bear the cost as an act of good will.
Thinking about the whole issue during my 40 mile trip from the dealership home I had unknowingly driven my RR for 2k with contaminated oil thoughts now of early engine failure to low oil viscosity and a penalty of this oil contamination repeating every 5-7k is bordering on car rejection due to an engine control system that makes the JLR manufactures reliability ridiculous. You can read more about other L405 owners issues under the maintenance sub forum and I expect this will be moved to the technical post but as we all read the General (405) posts as a matter of priority I have posted here. Have no fear I will be contacting JLR shortly after I have digested the amended 2015 consumer rights act.

Regards

Paul
ps I applaud Marshall landrover for the honesty about the issue, I do wonder if the goodwill gesture will be repeated on subsequent 5-7k oil service due visits.... Journey started in a LR2B at 16 and has incl. just about every Land Rover, Disco, RRS and Range Rover Vehicle owned or driven, I even worked for the company when it was owned by BAe - It must be a madness!!! because to add to my 4.4 TDV8 Westminister In Baltic Blue I bought a second L322 as a commuter bus, TD6 2004 Vogue in Oslo Blue with cream leather now both gone replaced with what could turn out to be my biggest mistake. Carpathian Grey ivory interior 3.0 tdv6 Autobiog. 2017

Post #476779 26th Apr 2018 7:47am
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

D5's here getting the same symptoms the first time often just get a s/w update and no oil change.

Post #476790 26th Apr 2018 9:03am
Montys 4x4

Hi, has anyone experienced a follow on early oil service post the initial visit and software change?

Paul Journey started in a LR2B at 16 and has incl. just about every Land Rover, Disco, RRS and Range Rover Vehicle owned or driven, I even worked for the company when it was owned by BAe - It must be a madness!!! because to add to my 4.4 TDV8 Westminister In Baltic Blue I bought a second L322 as a commuter bus, TD6 2004 Vogue in Oslo Blue with cream leather now both gone replaced with what could turn out to be my biggest mistake. Carpathian Grey ivory interior 3.0 tdv6 Autobiog. 2017

Post #476793 26th Apr 2018 9:13am
ADI

England 2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Fuji White

This is the official Land Rover written instructions for vehicles Sept 2015 to July 2017
http://www.amigo.co.uk/misc/JLRP00100.pdf

After July they changed their stance and you have to fight for "goodwill oil and filter change"
Quoting driving style etc.

If my service light came on before their recommended interval I would fight !

Andrew BMW X3 30e XDrive M Sport
GoneBMW 330e
Gone MY2016 RR Vogue Fuji White SDV8 with a few extras...
Gone MY2016 Discovery Sport HSE

Last edited by ADI on 26th Apr 2018 12:21pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #476805 26th Apr 2018 10:26am
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

ADI - that's a very interesting item.

Monty's 4/4 - I sympathise, the car will be a source of worry rather than pleasure unless the problem is solved. It's hard to be definitive, but the JLR website gives 12,000 miles a year as the start of the mileage where diesel makes sense. I'd say any journey under maybe 20 miles was "short", but it will also depend whether it is in stop/start traffic or "oot the road" sitting at a steady 60 or whatever. It is maybe more a 3.0 V6 of a certain age range problem rather than diesels generally, but while I find the fuel consumption and constant filling station visits unwelcome, I'm relieved to have gone for the 5.0SC. It might suit you too? Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #476813 26th Apr 2018 12:02pm
Montys 4x4

Thank you ADI, a very important Bulletin to current and potential 3.0 TDV6 owners. Had I been made aware of this issue I would have gone for a V8. Ironically I had the service due message on my vehicle App a couple of weeks before it appeared in the dashboard warning panel, with that in mind and not being able to get booked in to have the issue investigated for several weeks I possibly drove for 3 or 4K with diluted engine oil - not good similar issues were experienced on aircraft gas turbine engines the magnetic chips would start to pick up the bearing debris and they would be coloured blue due to overheating undetected the engine would suffer a catastrophic failure within 5 to 10 hours it was caused by leaking fuel cooled oil matrix.
I will have a look in the vehicle handbook to see if this issue has been properly disseminated putting it in the marketing brochures is no cover for such a damaging and restrictive issue.
Thanks again

Paul Journey started in a LR2B at 16 and has incl. just about every Land Rover, Disco, RRS and Range Rover Vehicle owned or driven, I even worked for the company when it was owned by BAe - It must be a madness!!! because to add to my 4.4 TDV8 Westminister In Baltic Blue I bought a second L322 as a commuter bus, TD6 2004 Vogue in Oslo Blue with cream leather now both gone replaced with what could turn out to be my biggest mistake. Carpathian Grey ivory interior 3.0 tdv6 Autobiog. 2017

Post #476814 26th Apr 2018 12:45pm
peanutbob

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

My 2017 FFRR, as per an earlier thread, requested an early service at 7k miles. Promptly took it in with the service dept reporting that dpf sensor needed a software update. Oil dilution was 6.1 so this was not replaced. At 10k miles and a year old, no service request was being flagged. Took it back in for a full service and another software update N124 I think, which should reinstate the missing service request. Another s/w update ref infotainment N135 was not installed as this was defective so still awaiting notification ref this.
In retrospect the oil probably should have been replaced regardless of the level to be on the safe side.

Post #476968 27th Apr 2018 7:57pm
ajac8

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

Could this apply to 4.4 405's too. The bulletin says all models? 405 AB exec seats Baltic and Cirrus
93 RR Classic efi

Remember it's easier to get forgiveness than permission!

Gone in order:
4.4 TDV8 SE - gone to a good home
93 Classic hard dash Plymouth Blue
03 L322 Oslo Blue
2000 Disco TD5 ES Epsom Green
98 P38 Rioja Red
89 Classic Cairngorm Brown

Post #477026 28th Apr 2018 11:38am
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

Adrian,
For what it costs (circa £80), I have been convinced that 6months or 6,000 miles is a good oil change routine if like me you intend to keep the car long term.
Mike. G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #477035 28th Apr 2018 2:08pm
ajac8

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

Indeed Mike I agree, but some poor souls are driving round ruining their engines without even knowing it and those cars will be on the second hand market soon as lease deals come to close. Big Cry 405 AB exec seats Baltic and Cirrus
93 RR Classic efi

Remember it's easier to get forgiveness than permission!

Gone in order:
4.4 TDV8 SE - gone to a good home
93 Classic hard dash Plymouth Blue
03 L322 Oslo Blue
2000 Disco TD5 ES Epsom Green
98 P38 Rioja Red
89 Classic Cairngorm Brown

Post #477072 29th Apr 2018 8:43am
Lawnman

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Barolo Black

In response to Pauls comments, thank you for them. My RR is exactly the same mileage and service indicator is on @ 5,820 miles. It was recalled this week for software update and they flagged what you have stated. It’s going in on Wednesday for its first service at 7 months after I collected it from new.
I have a service plan and obviously they don’t see it as a problem as I’m covered under the 3 year plan! Do I sound mean/tight when I like Paul do not see why should in the long term have to pay for it, as the service provider will increase their prices when I purchased my next RR.

Tony Laughing Sad

Post #477086 29th Apr 2018 10:40am
Lawnman

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Barolo Black

In response to Pauls comments, thank you for them. My RR is exactly the same mileage and service indicator is on @ 5,820 miles. It was recalled this week for software update and they flagged what you have stated. It’s going in on Wednesday for its first service at 7 months after I collected it from new.
I have a service plan and obviously they don’t see it as a problem as I’m covered under the 3 year plan! Do I sound mean/tight when I like Paul do not see why should in the long term have to pay for it, as the service provider will increase their prices when I purchased my next RR.

Tony Laughing Sad

Post #477088 29th Apr 2018 10:55am
Grofus

Ireland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Fellas, Diesel is an oil and was often put in prior to an oil change for a few hundred miles to clean the internals and remove sludge etc.
The amount going in from the DPF won't do any harm and will probably help.
The EGR is far worse. Just my two penneth 2007 Vogue TDV8 in Zermatt Silver with Charcoal

Post #478429 14th May 2018 11:29pm
7 CDB

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV6 Loire Blue

Small update on this one, we have had a 3.0d VSE since Dec last year. It’s primarily the wife’s car, which I get to clean at weekends....it’s currently on 6000 miles and I have already added 15litres of adblue. Now the service light has flagged up and the car is booked in for the 7/6/18 for the 1st service. She was told, after she popped into book it in questioning the early service requirement, that it may need an update when she takes it in. She’s brilliant at getting what she wants (just paid £230 for a new 20” tyre fitted 👍😂)

Where as, I usually loose my rag if I’m being blagged by a service “advisor”. I think I will leave it with her when the car goes in.....hopefully I’m not going to get taken for a mug and the LR experience is not going to start to be soured.....

We shall see, and I will let you know!

Post #478605 16th May 2018 6:23pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Fwiw, I have a 4.4SDV8 bought September last year. Covered 8k miles and is showing a range of 4k miles for the adblue - no top ups in the interim. I drive quite spiritedly 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #478609 16th May 2018 6:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>