Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Urgent help. Brand new L405, resonating noise, drive shaft
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
hookster

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Urgent help. Brand new L405, resonating noise, drive shaft

Hello everyone

I have a 2017 Vogue, tdv6. 800 miles.Bought last month. 20 miles on clock.

Since new the n/s/f has made a resonating, bearing type noise at 30-35 mph and again at 50mph...its loud enough for the need to raise your voice whilst conversing. The car only makes this drumming whoo whoo-ing when the car is in drive...spin the dial into neutral and the now free-wheeling car is silent. add back the drive and it begins immediately.

Range rover have taken the car in, and have replaced a drive shaft. it hasn't cured the fault. Further tech help has been sought within the group.

More deliberation and 3 more days of technical investigation at the dealers has lead them to reply with the dreaded 'feature of the car'...that the noise is the diff and this is the noise it makes when in drive.

The car runs 22 inch style 707. Dealer has tested another car from the forecourt with identical wheels and reports that the same sound occurs in that car.

The dealership has been kept me fully appraised at every turn and the offers and commitment have been very good indeed.

Feedback welcomed. I can't live with a car for 4 years and 100k miles that will behave like this...but want the L405.

Swap for a different one? leave well alone and jump off under the 30 days option..(if option it be) Thoughts?

Post #478587 16th May 2018 4:10pm
Grofus

Ireland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Sounds to me like you are being fobbed off. If the dealer has changed parts to remedy something then its not normal. Go and test drive another one the same model and if its quiet, which I suspect it will be, then chuck it back at them and demand a new one.
If the dealer is being reasonable then test drive one there with the manager in it wih you. If not, take yours to another dealer and get them to sit in yours too. 2007 Vogue TDV8 in Zermatt Silver with Charcoal

Post #478593 16th May 2018 4:40pm
hookster

Grofus, you have a point...I didn't reveal that I have been told that a test drive by a tech of another vehicle with 22 inch wheels, reveals an identical characteristic.\

Naturally I will follow your advice ...its why I am here after all...where other cars are silent then I can insist on a refund, I would be crackers not to. Even where the other car demonstrates the same whoo-whoo...Id try a third car...

I do wonder what the fault is though...its enough for them to initially say that they haven't come across anything like this before and discuss with me that they have sought tech advice from within the dealership network.

Post #478603 16th May 2018 5:46pm
Grofus

Probably related to the wheel size loading the wheel bearings. Personally I wouldnt run on bigger than 20" for issues like that. Maybe try smaller wheels

Good luck with it. 2007 Vogue TDV8 in Zermatt Silver with Charcoal

Post #478604 16th May 2018 6:08pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Your dealer is talking crap - I have 22” Turbines on mine and there is definitely no noises as you describe. However if there is a mechanical issue with a bearing then yes it is possible that the wheels would make it more noticeable - think of a tuning fork and less rubber to absorb the noise from a noisy / faulty bearing 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #478608 16th May 2018 6:51pm
hookster

when the car is free-wheeling then the car is silent...only when its slotted back into gear does the noise begin...

ill drive a few of them on site and id be surprised if they weren't silent.

they won't want to refund me under the 30 days option...(car is now 2 owners (pre-regd by dealer first) and one plate change!)

so to rely on not writing me a cheque then 'feature of the car' will have to come too their rescue. fancy dealing with someone like this,

Post #478610 16th May 2018 7:01pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I wouldn't take their word for it - you need to test drive another car with the same engine & wheels and see the difference for yourself

Post #478618 16th May 2018 7:39pm
Grofus

Vogue, its not just the extra rubber on smaller rims.
Often larger rims are also wider so more lateral load forces act on the bearings.
I don't know without seeing it so its an educated guess. Either way, the dealer has tried a repair which tells me they know its not right. 2007 Vogue TDV8 in Zermatt Silver with Charcoal

Post #478626 16th May 2018 7:58pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

22's & 21's are both 275
20's are 255

So most L405's are on 275's

Post #478628 16th May 2018 8:04pm
Grofus

There you go then. Its more the rim width than tyre width. Wider rims means the cornering load is moved further from the bearing meaning more force for the same load. Its same prinicpal as using an extension on a spanner to loosen a nut. The wider you go the faster the bearing wears. 2007 Vogue TDV8 in Zermatt Silver with Charcoal

Post #478630 16th May 2018 8:12pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Yes but it’s only done 800 miles so it shouldn’t be wear - and mine doesn’t do it on 22” so there is clearly an issue with the car that isn’t related to the wheels 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #478634 16th May 2018 8:32pm
Grofus

oh yes, I agree its not right. Just explaining the physics Thumbs Up 2007 Vogue TDV8 in Zermatt Silver with Charcoal

Post #478635 16th May 2018 8:34pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #478636 16th May 2018 8:35pm
chugga90

United Kingdom 
Re: Urgent help. Brand new L405, resonating noise, drive sha

Unnecessary quote removed

Based on JLR excellent customer care Shocked I would reject it whilst you have the opportunity.

My LR, admittedly it’s a used D4 under the approved used scheme. Has had the same/similar noise since collection June 2017. It’s done 75k miles now. Been in the dealer six times. You get various responses, there is no noise, it’s not that loud, others similar do it, we will await it getting worse.
It’s sister vehicle has twice the mileage, is a year older and makes none of the noise.

I suspect it’s transfer box on mine as they have already been in there fixing a leak!

They have had chance to fix yours, they have not done it so just register your intent to reject with the dealer and customer care and get the car returned as the obviously have no interest in fixing it!

Post #478648 17th May 2018 6:31am
zarnd

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey

Might it be tyre noise? If it has been a pre-reg car it has sat for a long time without use so could be an out of shape tyre.

I would ask to try the car with another set of wheels and tyres fitted to it to see what happens and if the noise is there or not. I highly doubt it is a feature of the car as they put it.

cheers and good luck Alex

2018 Skoda Kodiaq vRS
2009 Caterham Supersport Race car
2007 M5 Touring
2005 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged
2004 SL55 AMG

Post #478655 17th May 2018 8:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>