Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > Adaptive Cruise Retrofit to 2014 L405 Vogue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
memzy88

United Kingdom 
Adaptive Cruise Retrofit to 2014 L405 Vogue

Hi All,

My colleague is looking to buy a very nice 14MY SDV8 Vogue. It has everything he is looking for except the adaptive/radar cruise control. Car still has 15months LR Warranty and he is getting it almost at trade price so he doesnt want to miss out. I know this feature can be retrofitted to L322 but can it be retrofitted to L405?

Thanks,

Memzy 2017 Range Rover SDV6 AB
2021 Aston Martin DBS superleggera
2017 Aston Martin DB11 V12 - Sold
2021 Tesla Model 3 Long Range - Sold
2014 Range Rover SDV8 - Sold
2014 Bentley Continental GT Speed - Onyx Black - Sold

Post #479121 22nd May 2018 9:46am
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

Microcat shows that all engine versions of the L405 only require the radar unit (LR043725 unless superseded) whereas petrol-engined L322s use a 2nd radar unit and an ACC ecu. A radar mounting bracket (LR033405) would be required as would the ACC version of the RH steering wheel switch (LR037452) then the CCF edited to change to CC to ACC with stop/go. The radar unit then has to be set to calibrate mode so perhaps a LR dealer can do that or if the IIDtool doesn't yet support L405 ACC calibration then ask GAP if they will do it, as was done for my retro-fitting to my L322.

Microcat doesn't show the additional link harness between the radar unit and the main harness that is required for the L322 but the L405 radar unit has a different part number anyway, but does show a tail from the main harness terminating behind the centre of the bumper right where the radar unit is mounted.

Edit: The engine bay fuse for the radar unit had been omitted from my L322 at assembly.

Another edit: The switch part number is now LR087486.

Post #479128 22nd May 2018 11:37am
pherplexed

United States 

Resurrecting this thread b/c I'm the proud new owner of a 2016 Supercharged V8 and the adaptive cruise control is the only option missing that I'd love to retrofit.

GraemeS – Am I reading your post correctly that for the L405 models, just installing the radar unit and steering wheel switches is all that's required? Or is there a software update required as well?

Post #516626 27th May 2019 1:11am
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

Yes, that's my conclusion from studying the late 2012 version of Microcat which includes the MY13 L405.

Post #516635 27th May 2019 8:35am
pherplexed

United States 

Really want to try this so did some more digging. If I ordered and installed the parts, could an independent LR mechanic access / edit the necessary CCF file(s) to enable ACC and do the calibration or does that have to be done at the dealer? 2021 P525 | Eiger Gray

Post #525549 20th Aug 2019 4:10pm
Jase71

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

I’m interested in this one too. Guess we just need to know what parts to order, costs and installation requirements 2017 Range Rover Vogue V6 Diesel
2006 Range Rover Vogue V8 Diesel - gone

Post #531019 15th Oct 2019 6:21pm
pherplexed

United States 

Jase71 wrote:
I’m interested in this one too. Guess we just need to know what parts to order, costs and installation requirements

Looks like the parts list is pretty straightforward, but pricey (about $2,300 for parts):

I've chatted with the guys at Powerful UK in the comments of this video and it appears all L405's come with the notch already in the bumper for mounting the radar unit. All in all, the install doesn't look too complicated if you're handy: removing the bumper to install the radar unit (wiring harness is already there, per GraemeS's comments above); then swapping the existing steering wheel switch pack with the new one. Maybe 4-5 hours.

Only thing I haven't been able to sort is who I can have update the CCF file to enable the system and calibrate it once installed. I don't want to go to the local dealer b/c they're terrible but I'm not sure if my local independent has the JLR computer equipment to do that sort of thing. 2021 P525 | Eiger Gray

Post #531022 15th Oct 2019 7:11pm
Jase71

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

Are there any independents that could do the adaptive retrofit on an L405 in the UK? 2017 Range Rover Vogue V6 Diesel
2006 Range Rover Vogue V8 Diesel - gone

Post #553736 13th May 2020 5:33pm
pherplexed

United States 

Update on this: I was able to successfully retrofit this to my '16 L405 SC. Start to finish, a pretty simple 2 hour job.

I purchased the parts I listed above and followed this video from PowerfulUK on removing the front bumper. Then thanks to this Range Rover Sport thread, followed the details for using the GAP IIDtool to edit the CCF to enable the system and calibrate the sensor.

Now I have adaptive cruise, queue assist, and forward collision alert. The system works brilliantly. Love it! 2021 P525 | Eiger Gray

Post #557895 16th Jun 2020 2:32pm
725browning

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Hi. Was The wiring harness in place from the factory ? Thanks.

Post #557899 16th Jun 2020 3:34pm
pherplexed

United States 

725browning – yes, the wiring harness and cutout in the frame were already there from the factory. 2021 P525 | Eiger Gray

Post #557905 16th Jun 2020 4:27pm
725browning

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Thanks. I have a 2017 sdv8 vse that I have not managed to sell and I am considering keeping it and have a play. It's a high spec for a vse but lacks the adaptive and If I keep it I would try and get the front and rear light upgrade. I might try and source the parts and see if I can find an independent to install the adaptive. Thumbs Up

Post #557923 16th Jun 2020 6:54pm
pherplexed

United States 

Summary for anyone who finds this thread later:

Was able to successfully do this retrofit on my 2016 SCV8 L405. The whole process only took about two hours start to finish and the system works flawlessly.

The parts list is pretty short, but can be pricey. The links below are for new / genuine parts, but others have had luck finding used and cheaper on eBay:

Hardware Installation:
    1. Remove front bumper to install the radar module (following this video from Simon at PowerfulUK)
    2. Install the switch pack on the steering wheel (following this video from Simon at PowerfulUK

Software Edits / Intialization:
Once the hardware is installed, you'll need a GAP IID tool to edit the CCF and enable the feature. You do need to get in touch with GAP support and let them know you'd like to enable the feature. They will give you instructions for accessing the CCF and necessary IID tool firmware. From there, you'll use the "Configuration" function of the IID tool to edit the various entries in the CCF.

For my American spec, there were 11 settings in total:
    Speed Control: Adaptive speed control is fitted
    Adaptive Speed Control ECU: North America, Canada, Mexico, Australia
    Adaptive Speed Control ECU: Standard blockage level -40dB
    Collision Mitigation By Braking: Fitted
    Standard Speed Control Display Type: Adaptive speed control full display plus priority messages
    Speed Control: Adaptive speed control with queue assist
    Adaptive Cruise Control Indication In Instrument Cluster: Enabled
    Speed Control: Adaptive speed control, stop and go
    Collision Mitigation By Braking: Collision mitigation by braking GEN 3
    Forward Collision Warning: Forward collision warning GEN 3
    Front Crash Sensing System: Front crash sensing system - Upfront sensor

Calibration - Last Step:
Once editing is complete, use the "Calibration" function of the IID tool to turn on the ACC calibration mode. Once calibration is active, the adaptive cruise control light will appear flashing on the dash. Simply drive on a relatively straight road for at least 7 miles - ideally a road with lots of objects on the side like lamp posts, street signs, etc.

Once calibration is done, the light on the dash will turn off. Once turned off, restart the car and the feature is now fully enabled. Note that some others had to drive longer distances before calibration would complete – some as long as 30 miles or more. 2021 P525 | Eiger Gray

Post #561288 13th Jul 2020 5:59pm
Ans

United States 2015 Range Rover HSE 3.0 SC V6 Aruba

This is super useful info!

I have connected the new radar today and updated CCF exactly as per instructions described above. I haven’t started the car yet (new steering wheel buttons not installed yet ), however, I am seeing on the dash “parking brake fault” and “cruise control not available” messages. The latter message was expected since I haven’t run the calibration, but the brake related message is somewhat unexpected. did you see something like that during your installation?
On the positive side, the adaptive cruise control calibration option has appeared in the software after CCF updates and also the adaptive cruise dash signs light up when ignition is in position 2.
Also, a comment/question on CCF changes.
There were two parameters that appear to be related to ACC, If judged by name, but were not listed in the instructions above:
-Adaptive speed control ECU: disable (current value)
-Forward collision warning: not supported ( current value)

I haven’t updated these two, but wondering if I need to??? The first one can have value enable and the second one fitted.

The parameters that I did update exactly matched the Above listing of 11settings.
Speed Control: Adaptive speed control is fitted
Adaptive Speed Control ECU: North America, Canada, Mexico, Australia (already had this value)
Adaptive Speed Control ECU: Standard blockage level -40dB (already had this value)
Collision Mitigation By Braking: Fitted
Standard Speed Control Display Type: Adaptive speed control full display plus priority messages
Speed Control: Adaptive speed control with queue assist
Adaptive Cruise Control Indication In Instrument Cluster: Enabled
Speed Control: Adaptive speed control, stop and go
Collision Mitigation By Braking: Collision mitigation by braking GEN 3
Forward Collision Warning: Forward collision warning GEN 3
Front Crash Sensing System: Front crash sensing system - Upfront sensor

If you happen to connect diagnostic software to your car, could check:
“Adaptive Speed Control ECU” do you see 2 or 3 parameters with this name and what are the values in CCF?
“Forward collision warning” (see attachment) do you see 1 or 2 parameters with this exact name and what are the values?

Post #565078 20th Aug 2020 3:06pm
Mark1107

United States 2013 Range Rover HSE 5.0 V8 Fuji White

Ans

Patrick Meilleur of GAP can walk you thru to fix it. Retrofitting it requires an ECU flash that gap charges 35 bucks for and it enables our car to accept the changes.

You need the ACC module camera the LDW switch button on lower dash and the correct rear view mirror. Plus the gap tool.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #565105 21st Aug 2020 8:18am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>