Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Just been to the dealers' body shop..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Just been to the dealers' body shop..

Whilst out and about, I popped into Stratstone Body Shop to see what their thoughts were on the laquer bubbling

He had a look at it and recommended I leave it as it wasn't going to get any worse. If I was fussy, he said, I could have a localised repair on it but he didn't see the point. He said that someone like ChipsAway would recoat the laquer, but after prodding it, he was of the opinion that it wouldn't get any worse for some considerable time.

I was amazed at how many Aston Martins/Jags and RR's there were there, waiting for varying degrees of bodywork. Most of the Astons were brand new Shocked and he told me that they get damaged on the production line and get sent straight to them for rectification.

They'd just completely resprayed a BRAND NEW DB9 as the paint finish wasn't up to scratch!! Another one, a brand new Vanquish, had £32,000 worth of body repairs to it! A third one had been shipped over from Geneva, as it had been repaired over there but the repair was not up to Aston Martin standards. That was a 57 plater. Another DB9 had only 7 miles on the clock when it's proud owner hit a fox late at night - result? Nearly £8,000 worth of bodywork repair.

He told me that in his opinion, 99% of cars on the road had been repaired, if you count rectification on the production lines! Shocked

Made me feel a whole lot better about my little insignificant door repair! 2010 MY Vogue SE TDV8 3.6 Stornoway Grey- fully loaded

Post #4764 9th Apr 2009 10:57am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Noddy, I have seen a whole repair area at Solihull (a few years back) which was full of damaged brand new LR vehicles - pulled from the production line for bodywork repairs. There were quite a few discoveries with large dents in them!

Stands to reason that any panels that are fitted require pressure to fit, together with overzealous production line workers, robots, tools, poppers and zips etc damage does occur quite regularly.

A friend who works for a local non LR mainagent told me a horrific tale regarding new cars on the top of a car transporter which hit a tree with low branches. The cars were all filled and repaired and went out as new - their new owners being non the wiser!! Shocked

As for your vehicle, I have had more LR vehicles I can count, and quite a few have been sprayed under warranty for dodgy paint, including poc marks, peeling, bubbles, and in one case certain pannels on a 110 County with no primer! (this was a vehicle at the time new in 1985 though)

So I would relax and live with it unless it annoys you too much.

Totally off topic but whilst I was at the factory, in another separate area was a huge amount of Jap and Yank 4x4's being systematically stripped and tested - I have even got photographs of this...

Post #4783 9th Apr 2009 2:22pm
Larry

England 2006 Range Rover SE Td6 Java Black

Post the photos. Just check you weren't breaching any site policy first though, or you may never get let back in again (most sites have such policies)

Post #4795 9th Apr 2009 4:08pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Larry, I would but they are unfortuantely pre digital era.

Post #4796 9th Apr 2009 4:14pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Scan them and then post them! Very Happy Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #4799 9th Apr 2009 4:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1