Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > DIY Guide: L405 TDV6 Oil Change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JamesD

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey
DIY Guide: L405 TDV6 Oil Change

Ok so I did this a few weeks ago but finally got round to posting the details. I like to change my oil more often than LR advise, so if you like me hopefully you find this useful, the process is really easy.

Parts List

- Oil Filter (LR013148)
- Sump Plug which has integrated rubber washer (1013938)
- 6lt 5w-30 Oil (see below)

DPF vehicles are very sensitive to oil choice, LR only certify a handful of oils, this is the advice from LR

AE 5W-30 meeting Jaguar Land Rover specification STJLR.03.5005, or WSS-M2C934-B. If unavailable, SAE 5W-30 meeting specification ACEA C2 may be used

I found Shell Helix Ultra Professional AF-L met those requirements.
Parts process for the above was £20 including postage for genuine LR parts (Duckworth Parts) and £45 for the Oil online (Opie)

Process

Step 1 - Warm Engine

Warm the engine up for a few mins so that the oil drains easier

Step 2 - Jack Car

Put the car on a flat level surface and raise into offload height. I 100% recommend using a pair of axle stands under the jacking points just in-case the car lowers down onto you. If found I had to drive the car onto some 12mm wooden blocks to get the required access height for the axle stands. There is just about enough room to work under the car at this height but its a tight fit.

Step 3 - Remove Undertray

Remove the undertray. This is held on by a load of bolts (9 in total), note that the 2 centre bolts towards the rear of the vehicle should not be fully removed (they are slotted and will held you refit the try after the oil change)...see pics below.
Note the front bolts are hidden under the valance, you may be able to get your socket in by pulling down on the plastic valance (it has a lot of give) or you may need to use a spanner to loosen at this point. Once these bolts are cracked off mine were easy to remove by hand.

Click image to enlarge

Step 4 - Drain Oil

Now you can access the back of the sump you can start the business of draining the oil. I would remove the oil cap to allow airflow and to aid in the removal of the oil. Put a load of newspaper on the floor under your catch bucket, you may well need it and its easier to clean up spills this way.

I have this drain bucket, don't tray and use one of those small drums with a side cutout (you will get covered)
Click image to enlarge

Now you need to remove the oil drain plug at the back of the sump (see below), place the pan in a good spot to catch the flow, it will project a good 1-2ft when you 1st remove the plug

Now you have most of the oil out and its slowed to a drip, slacken off the oil filter (you will need a 32mm socket). It is located under the plastic engine cover (which just pulls off), you will find it in the middle at the rear of the engine. I found mine a stretch to get to so I used some small steps to see better. It takes a while to unscrew as it has a large thread.

Once the oil has stopped flowing remove the whole oil filter, it will drip so cover the engine bay with an old tower to reduce clean up.

Step 5 - Refill Oil

Now is time to replace the sump plug, it has a rubber washer so you don't need to tighten it up too much, I believe the correct torque is 25Nm. Next replace the oil filer element in the housing, removing the old one can be a challenge but I pushed a screwdriver through the filer to give me some purchase and it then popped off (LR sell a special tool apparently). The you can fit the new filter and o-ring(it comes with the filter), make sure you push the filter into the housing until it pops over the seal. Make sure you fit the new o-ring in the correct place and use some fresh oil to lubricate it.

Replace the oil filter and tighten up to the correct torque setting (it says on the filter but I think it is 25Nm). Now you can refill with 6ltr of oil. I would advise using a funnel into the oil filler and placing some old rags around it as spills with a new 5ltr bottle are inevitable!

Replace the oil filler cap, start the engine and check for any leaks. If your all good you can replace the undertray. Slot the undertray on the bolts that you left and this is a 1 person job. Warm the engine up, then leave for 10 min and check levels...hopefully it should be all ok.

Step 6 - Reset oil inspection indicator

So the LR has a condition and mileage based service, you have just replaced the oil so you want to re-set the indicator again, the process is very easy as follows:

- Leave the bonnet open
- Turn on the ignition (but not the engine)
- Leave the drivers door open
- Hold down the throttle and brake pedal together, until you get a message that the service is reset
- Turn off ignition

Now go and have a well deserved beer, glowing in the knowledge your taking care of the RR and saved yourself over £200!

Hope you find this guide useful. 2021 L405 Vogue D300
2016 L405 Vogue 3.0TDV6 (Sold)

Post #446638 4th Aug 2017 5:48pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

wiki'fied.. Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #446640 4th Aug 2017 6:03pm
Singh911

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Thanks for this - i did an oil change at 2k miles last week before driving down to the alps. I've always done running in oil changes and this being my first LR car, i was surprised that no oil change is scheduled until 8-10k miles?? I even asked west london who said no oil change was needed.

Very straightforward, a set of axle stands, the right size spanners and a torque wrench is all you need.

My local (lookers west london) do not supply castrol edge in the right spec. They told me that they fill their cars with shell helix ultra with the jlr spec when they service cars. i got this from opie oils online, cheap fast and efficient. Current
5.0 S/C 2010 Autobiography
458 Spider
996 GT3 mk1
GR Yaris
W124 E320 estate

Previous
VSE MY2016 3.0tdv6 - stolen January 2024
F10 M5
Cayenne S
X5

Post #448311 18th Aug 2017 5:46pm
wealy

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Luxor

Great wiki.

Almost identical to the 4.4 V8 diesel method, but note it is 9.4 litres of oil.

Post #480102 4th Jun 2018 12:29pm
roberlar

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Great post, carried out an interim oil & filter change on my SDV8 today, only difference being I sucked the oil out. Measured the amount of oil taken out and it was almost exactly the stated capacity at around 9.4 litres. Given the electronic dipstick showed oil level ok, it must have removed almost all of the oil. Last service was a sump drain so not too worried about any residual sludge this time. That said, I did extract around around 500 ml of oil about two months ago, due to an overfill reading which was possibly due to diesel dilution and it rose again to overfilled but subsequently backed off to 'oil level ok'. All a bit confusing, however I'm safe in the knowledge that the oil is fresh and at correct levels for the time being.

Post #507688 6th Mar 2019 9:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1