Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > Greetings. Back to RR after D3 - shortly collecting 2007 4.2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Kiwimac

New Zealand 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black
Greetings. Back to RR after D3 - shortly collecting 2007 4.2

Hi All.

I have just traded my 2005 D3 4.4 for a Java Black/Jet RR 4.2 SC . Cost me NZ$35,000 (about GBP18k) with 65,000 miles and full service history. The dealer was negotiated into a straight swap!

It was imported to NZ from Japan (which is an excellent source of low mileage vehicles in RHD) and has had 2 owners here. The vehicle is coming from a main dealer and will have 3 years mechanical breakdown insurance covering up to NZ$5,000 for most things (sadly air suspension is specifically excluded!) and four new Toyo Proxes ST2 tyres (which is $2,000 worth in NZ).

I'd grade it 8.5/10 at least, with just a few instances of the silver coating on some of the trim being marked (it's actually not nice trim for such a classy vehicle IMO) and of course evidence that the seats have been sat in (but no excessive wear, sagging, scratching etc).

It is first registered in 2007 but must have been the last of them, as it is pre-terrain response. I'm excited to be getting it (in a week or so). I thought that I would miss the D3 (it's a genuine G4 Challenge participant vehicle so very rare) but I have had that 3 years, enjoyed it and it is time to move on. The 4.4 Jag engine is nice, but the SC engine is sooo much better! The photos are from the dealer, not me. Very Happy

Post #480958 15th Jun 2018 12:42pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

looks tidy Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #480965 15th Jun 2018 1:29pm
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Very nice , enjoy!! 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #480969 15th Jun 2018 2:33pm
Kiwimac

stan wrote:
looks tidy Thumbs Up

Yes, I think so. The dealer is very trustworthy, an old family firm in business for 100 years (no mean feat in NZ!) who I have dealt with before. As they said, they normally would not keep one of this age, expecting to wholesale it on, but this one was the cleanest and tidiest they had seen in a long while and so they decided to keep it and sell it themselves.

It's probably a little more expensive than it would be in the UK, but cars generally are in NZ and of course the market is minuscule in comparison, with only 4.5 million people in the whole country. It's certainly cheaper than the $210,000 or so that a new one would cost...! Shocked

Ideally, I would have gone for the next iteration but overall condition trumps cooled seats etc IMV!

Post #481009 15th Jun 2018 9:31pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Welcome !
A few Aussies here but not too many kiwis.
Plenty of experience and advice from all over the world so you'll rarely be stumped.
Car looks great.
. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #481013 15th Jun 2018 10:34pm
Kiwimac

Thanks. I suppose technically I am a Britwi since I moved here later in life from the UK.

I'm itching to get my hands on the car - a week Monday!

Post #481027 16th Jun 2018 6:05am
Kiwimac

I collected it yesterday.

Quite a different thing from the D3! For a start, that engine...wow. It takes off like a rocket ship in comparison to the Disco and the Disco had a 4.4 in.

Overall far more refined - even the feel of putting it in gear is firmer, more precise etc. than the D3 was, with less movement required.

It's cosmetically generally good - a bit scruffy in places, like the black lacquer trim on the driver's map pocket has been kicked a few times and so is scratched etc. Also I need to work out how to refit the plastic body colour trim on the driver door as it is not connected at all at the bottom edge so rattles when you shut the door, which is annoying.

Mechanically (touch wood now!) it seems very tidy. Goes well, stops well, suspension goes up and down smoothly and quietly etc. The gear box was a little snatchy or grabby coming downhill - either it is programmed differently from what I am used to, or the 2009 TSB software patch was not applied, or it's going to become something different in which case thank lord for the warranty..! Or it might just do that forever and turn into nothing - who knows?

It came with 4 new tyres - Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric. Originally it had Toyos on when I first looked at it but they needed two more and could only get 1 (and being NZ, no one could tell them when another would arrive in the country!) so they switched out for the Goodyears.

Post #481873 25th Jun 2018 11:40pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Nice looking car. For some reason I didn’t imagine there would be many RRs in Japan, given the issues with their (diminutive) parking spaces Whistle Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #481922 26th Jun 2018 6:21pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Range Rovers kept accidentally crushing K-cars over there so they restricted imports....

Razz Razz Razz

(Not at all true) Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #481938 26th Jun 2018 10:57pm
Kiwimac

alanm_3 wrote:
Nice looking car. For some reason I didn’t imagine there would be many RRs in Japan, given the issues with their (diminutive) parking spaces Whistle

Ha!

Yes, I think (hope..!) it has good bones. It has full main dealer SH etc and before delivery it had a full service of the Auto box, a new "main drive belt", full oil/filter lubrication service, checked computer etc etc which cost the dealer $1,700 of their own money (I have the bill, charged to "Inventory, Used Vehicles (All)" !) in addition to 4 new tyres which would be in the vicinity of $500/corner.

I just need to tidy up some things - another one I noticed was some deterioration to the rubber window surrounds in the rear quarter and tailgate. That horrible painted grey finish on some of the interior parts also needs dealing with where it's flaking.

Post #481949 27th Jun 2018 4:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1