Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > HDC/SUSP/STEERING
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
alfapat

Scotland 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey
HDC/SUSP/STEERING

My RR l322 2004 RH Drive was affected 2 days ago with the HDC/ AIR SUP. AND STIFF STEERING plus speedo failure , and the latter tells me I might have ordered the wrong rear abs sensor, however they are not sided as the speed sensor mentioned for speedo reading is be taken off the L Rear on Left hand drive cars,but maybe that doesnt make a difference when I look at RH Drive cars. The upshot is I can test all this at the ABS Module which incidentally is left side on UK cars , the sensor showing a code on mine is RRight, and it was open circuit,the L Rear said something about Low plausibility , I can now test all the terminals on the abs plug.
Something not right here , I have tested all abs points on the plug as listed on Rave and there are no continuity readings matching the numbers given above. What am I doing wrong anyone , I have tried with
the battery on and ignition separately ! I thought it would be a no brainer! I am using the small round holes and also tried the rectangular ones , but I do not think the latter.

Ok new sensor was tested off the vehicle at .714 ohms , put it back on R/R and I can pick it up on the ABS plug on the correct pin outs but the rest still not showing anything . I am going to strip out the L/Rear and test it at the wheel arch junction. Not going too well

Cheers Pat

Post #480383 7th Jun 2018 9:53pm
alfapat

I know or get the feeling that I m speaking to myself but perhaps it might be an idea that someone is working on their own vehicle this might help.
Both rear sensors have been replaced but not picked up by the diagnostic fully , both replaced but now testing the values on the front sensors in the plug wheel arch box they both show open circuit , I find that worrying while the Gap diagnostic has not flagged it up all the year I have had this vehicle , yet in the last 3 day run all sensors have failed ! Anyone had this , probably not , due to the lack of response on here. But hopefully an interesting point for someone.

Post #480533 9th Jun 2018 9:52pm
stu1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

Not saying this is the same issue you have but I had a similar problem on our old 2002. To finally fix it I had to replace:
1. The rear left abs sensor.
2. The rear left commutator ring (the teeth had essentially corroded away).
3. The ABS ECU - they have solder joints that fail. (Note - some pairing will be required if this is replaced - IIDTool can do it)

It wasn't perfect again until all of the above was done.

As you can see there were multiple faulty items that all came over a period of about 12 months - replacing the sensor initially cured the problem, but two months later it came back which resulted in the other work. Note - go for the genuine LR sensor - I initially tried a non-gen item which just didn't work.

Hope that helps.

Post #480539 9th Jun 2018 11:44pm
lounge_on_wheels

Australia 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Zambezi Silver

Ff you install the later year cables they will cause errors, I had this problem when the wrong cable was supplied. it added 100kph on to the actual speed( ie 60kph show up a 160kph on the speedo)

Post #480549 10th Jun 2018 7:53am
alfapat

Sadly according to the last thread , the rears have been bought now , aftermarket but they are showing a resistance thats not been seen on the old ones , and they show , once plugged in at the whel arch a similar reading at the abs ecu, phew , awaiting fronts but still going for aftermarket , at £98 a pop for genuine , a tad expensive for me .

Whe you talk about pairing with gap tool , I am not sure what you mean there , I will have another look through the Gap once I fit fronts.
Many Thanks

Post #480568 10th Jun 2018 9:44am
stu1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

The steering angle sensor - needs to be calibrated if you change the ABS ECU. The IIDTool can do this as of version 2 (released back in 2014), so should be in the latest Thumbs Up

Post #480653 10th Jun 2018 11:39pm
vmaxer

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Autobiography Td6 Cairns Blue

ive been looking for the s a sensor service kit as i have the same problems the iid or my snap on ethos will not clear the faults Rolling Eyes sorry to jump in on your post but if anyone can point me in the right direction Whistle

Post #480657 11th Jun 2018 7:23am
Joe90

England 

@ stu1

Where is this in the config, I couldn't see any calibration function on the GAP site for steering angle sensor ? .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #480660 11th Jun 2018 8:54am
Discotigger

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

@Joe90,
The SAS calibration function is in the 'Live Values' section of the IID Tool. I had a problem with my SAS as it wouldn't communicate with the IID Tool, got a load of help from Pat at GAP to try and solve the problem ,ut as the SAS at the time was working, it wasn't a serious holdup. Recently my SAS failed, causing the ABS/AIR SUSP INACTIVE/HDC faults. I replaced the SAS with one off fleabay (there's a good How To write up on Landyzone to replace the SAS without rermoving the dashboard, which I successfully did though it was a bit fiddly/painful!!)and the new one did communicate with the IID Tool. If you replace the SAS, you need to configure the new sensor and calibrate it, through Live Values.

Hope this helps. Thumbs Up

Post #480674 11th Jun 2018 1:01pm
nino_nino

Bosnia Herzegovina 2012 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Santorini Black

Joe90, also in Calibracion- SASM steering angle- Steering Angle Calibration- proside- Yes No.

Nino,

Post #480679 11th Jun 2018 1:50pm
lounge_on_wheels

Australia 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Zambezi Silver

Re replacing rear wheel sensors, I just replaced my 6th old aftermarket one for rear left wheel with a genuine part. Should have paid for Genuine first up so not cost me even more considering the wasted money on aftermarket one.

Post #480734 12th Jun 2018 2:01am
alfapat

I may have to take your point on that one but so early in the rebuild stage I have to figure out other things that are not working .
All new brake sensors replaced and brakes , initially fault of Hdc and suspension inactive and left front sensor open circuit , I took this out and found the deposits I cleaned off stuck to the sensor, so cleaned reluctor and swapped sides with sensors , the abs faults cleared but not suspension , it stayed locked. ON moving off all the brakes try to lock and suspension lock light off but only partially rises but won’t lower to below the middle light. I guess it is not receiving the correct signal from possibly the sensors. The one fault that is left is EBV fault function with abs ecu Have I still got a sensor fault despite the fact they have a good ohm resistance compatible with all four. The abs pins are all straight and cleaned, and has not been troublesome before. Any help appreciated

Post #481492 20th Jun 2018 10:27pm
Joe90

England 

Ah discotigger/nino_nino, that is where it is Thumbs Up .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #481494 20th Jun 2018 11:12pm
alfapat

Can you help from Winchester to Elgin !🤨

Post #481497 20th Jun 2018 11:35pm
alfapat

alfapat wrote:
I may have to take your point on that one but so early in the rebuild stage I have to figure out other things that are not working .
All new brake sensors replaced and brakes , initially fault of Hdc and suspension inactive and left front sensor open circuit , I took this out and found the deposits I cleaned off stuck to the sensor, so cleaned reluctor and swapped sides with sensors , the abs faults cleared but not suspension , it stayed locked. ON moving off all the brakes try to lock and suspension lock light off but only partially rises but won’t lower to below the middle light. I guess it is not receiving the correct signal from possibly the sensors. The one fault that is left is EBV fault function with abs ecu Have I still got a sensor fault despite the fact they have a good ohm resistance compatible with all four. The abs pins are all straight and cleaned, and has not been troublesome before. Any help appreciated

Would a level sensor be involved in this problem , it seems the Gap doesn’t always pin point the same fault , as the wheel sensor fault disappeared and came back.

I am beginning to answer my own questions on this ongoing problem I have, basically I have learnt from reading other threads on the net that if the reluctor rings are goosed then various incorrect signals are being thrown up by the sensors because the the rings are corroded , worn or broken, and this is exactly how I am finding them . Apart from the brake pads that were needed the car has really been out of action for 4 wks now.
If I wound back the clock I think these rings have been the fault all the time , sadly they dont look easy to change , unless the drive shafts are able to go back without the removal of the hub.
Maybe someone has done this and could offer some advice.
I have incidentally been and cleaned all rings , and they are in some state!
Either they have worn away that much there is no depth to the teeth and for some are also missing teeth and some are cracked! Easy or not to replace???

Post #481525 21st Jun 2018 12:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>